WTF!!?? Is This True!!?? Ford to Ship Incomplete Builds.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kodyray72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now what does dealer will install missing chips?

I think this is an inaccurate description.
The vehicles will have missing control modules, etc.

It's not like the dealer will install a RAM like chip into your truck and it magically comes to life.

There is actual missing hardware!!

I agree for a $85k (tt&t)....I want an fully functional vehicle as agreed to on my build sheet.

Wow... things we accept today that we never would have in the past.
From what I understand the vehicles would be drivable and sellable. At this point I’m fine with foregoing some features as long as they can be installed later as long I just get the damn truck. Anything is better than it just uselessly sitting in a storage lot for months on end. What would you rather have? Your truck without heated seats for a couple months? Or your truck rusting away in a Michigan ford storage lot unprotected from the elements for that same amount of time when at least you could be driving the damn thing.

Tuflehundon

Reaction score
Wow, that's insane. I think that they should do what Ram did with their trucks. They just took certain options out of the build options. You can't get power deployable running boards right now from them. There are a few other options missing, but I'm not sure what they are. I noticed the running boards cause I want them.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From what I understand the vehicles would be drivable and sellable. At this point I’m fine with foregoing some features as long as they can be installed later as long I just get the damn truck. Anything is better than it just uselessly sitting in a storage lot for months on end. What would you rather have? Your truck without heated seats for a couple months? Or your truck rusting away in a Michigan ford storage lot unprotected from the elements for that same amount of time when at least you could be driving the damn thing.
I get what you are saying and agree with your statement, but the OCD in me, says to cancel the order and wait til FORD can build a complete vehicle and ship in a timely manner. This getting $50 off of a 80k USA or 110k Canadian truck is just plain insane for an incomplete vehicle. Another thing to ponder is: what are they going to do about warranty, does 98% of the warranty start on the build date and the other 2% start when the dealer installs your module(chip) a year later? I know people want their vehicles but maybe, just maybe Auto makers shouldn't be building them if they don't have parts. What's next, you buy a 6 speed transmission but only get to use 5 speeds for the 1st year? IDK, just venting a bit I guess.....

Kodyray72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get what you are saying and agree with your statement, but the OCD in me, says to cancel the order and wait til FORD can build a complete vehicle and ship in a timely manner. This getting $50 off of a 80k USA or 110k Canadian truck is just plain insane for an incomplete vehicle. Another thing to ponder is: what are they going to do about warranty, does 98% of the warranty start on the build date and the other 2% start when the dealer installs your module(chip) a year later? I know people want their vehicles but maybe, just maybe Auto makers shouldn't be building them if they don't have parts. What's next, you buy a 6 speed transmission but only get to use 5 speeds for the 1st year? IDK, just venting a bit I guess.....
Simple, would you rather wait months for your truck or years?

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It normally takes my dealer 4-6 weeks to see me for scheduled maintenance, imagine what this will do to wait times when the shops are inundated with resolving missing chips when they become available. This seems to me like Ford pawning the work and responsibility onto the dealers and consumers while improving their delivery numbers albeit with a large asterisk.

2022 Ruth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has the automatic stop/start delete. I imagine it was because of a missing module of some sorts. Pay $89 to not get a thing, Ford didn’t even have, and you didn’t want.

They say missing chips but its not like they are shipping I trucks with ECUs where the PCB actually needs a chip soldered onto it. I imagine they will get the module at the later date. What they need to do is make it so you can plug your current trucks “module” into it. BYO-rest of the truck.

slv_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At first I was thinking, it may not be that bad of an idea provided every omission is included on the Window Sticker and fully disclosed to a potential buyer.

But given that we're seeing 2021s that have yet to be shipped while 2022s are being sent out the door, what is the process going to be for getting parts to buyers after the sale? First come from serve? Will you have your spot held in line based on purchase date? Is Ford going to be willing to send parts out the door that could be used to complete trucks that are still on the assembly line? Then you have the headache that is scheduling a time to get your truck to the dealer, arranging a courtesy vehicle, etc. That doesn't even to mention some dealer level tech needing to tear into your truck to install a module.

Then you have the warranty situation like pointed out above. If my module comes in 10,000 miles after I have the truck, does it go to 46,000 miles or year 4?

Just seems like a massive headache for Ford to track and could become a PR nightmare for the Company. Their communication (or complete lack thereof) makes for a horrendous custom order experience already. Imagine what the communication and customer service will be like once they already have your money.

OP
OP
AutoXRacer

AutoXRacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, auto manufacturers should not be building vehicles that don't have a complete BOM (build of materials / parts list).

If it's missing one washer or ziptie, they should not be building the vehicle.

Obviously we know this will never happen... we build airplanes with missing parts as to not slow down / stop the production line...

Damn, it just hit me.... airlines that bought Boeing 787s and 737-Max airplanes, had completed airplanes sitting on tarmac for months and years until the airplanes were certified and/or a fix was engineered and released.

Hmm.... All I know is this is a bad precedence to set... if manufacturers can get away with this, imagine what will come next...

Although, airlines do get a discount for late deliveries.

Kodyray72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple, keep what I got and wait years, no problem for me, I've had this truck 12 years and have had my stang for 42 years, I fix what I have, if I like it.
Then do what works for you. Imo if you have a order that has progress it’d be backwards thinking to cancel it just cause you’re impatient. If you want the truck which if you ordered it it obviously something you want then just wait. It sucks but the world isn’t what it was 10 years ago, you don’t like, I don’t like it, nobody likes it but we all have to DEAL with it.