Won't turn on. Intermittently

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Reset BCM and all seems to be good. Pull fuse #18 in passenger side footwell fuse box. Remember that. :) Got a free key out of the deal at least.

hopefully it won't happen again and was just a software problem.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hopefully it won't happen again and was just a software problem.

Agreed. Nice to know the solution is as close and as simple as the fuse panel. Frustrating to have to deal with it at all. Seemed the technician was happy to have learned the hard way...at least for next time...if there ever is one for some other Ford customer. Hope it turns out to be a rare fluke, not a regular occurence. My truck has just a touch over 4,000 miles on it.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well scratch that...fuse #18 does NOT fix it. Just must have been a timing coincidence. I drove the truck back to the hotel. Started and stopped it a couple times using both keys to be sure all was good. No problems. Then drove it to dinner later and home from dinner no problem. Went out this morning and same problem. Starting System Fault. Truck could start just fine using remote...but as soon as you put the key in, it would shut down, the key not being recognized. Tried every hoop and option, nothing would allow the truck to see the key successfully. Stranded. So called Roadside Assistance who flatbedded it back to the dealer. Checked in with them later and they are planning to have a new BCM sent out from Dearborn...won't have part til at least Monday...perhaps later. So rented a Rubicon and planning to extend stay. Kids are thinking it's not so bad to miss some school. Not sure when we'll actually be heading for home????

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Well scratch that...fuse #18 does NOT fix it. Just must have been a timing coincidence. I drove the truck back to the hotel. Started and stopped it a couple times using both keys to be sure all was good. No problems. Then drove it to dinner later and home from dinner no problem. Went out this morning and same problem. Starting System Fault. Truck could start just fine using remote...but as soon as you put the key in, it would shut down, the key not being recognized. Tried every hoop and option, nothing would allow the truck to see the key successfully. Stranded. So called Roadside Assistance who flatbedded it back to the dealer. Checked in with them later and they are planning to have a new BCM sent out from Dearborn...won't have part til at least Monday...perhaps later. So rented a Rubicon and planning to extend stay. Kids are thinking it's not so bad to miss some school. Not sure when we'll actually be heading for home????

i jinxed you :(

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"FORD IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 FORD F-150, F-250, F-350, F-450, F-550, EDGE, AND LINCOLN MKX TRUCKS MANUFACTURED FROM OCTOBER 25, 2010, THROUGH NOVEMBER 20, 2010. THESE VEHICLES WERE INSPECTED USING INTEGRATED DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM (IDS) THAT HAD A CUSTOM SOFTWARE ROUTINE TO READ THE SUSPECT BODY CONTROL MODULE (BCM) SERIAL NUMBER. BASED ON THE SERIAL NUMBER THE BCM WAS EITHER NOT AFFECTED OR REPLACED. THE CUSTOM SOFTWARE ROUTINE WAS NOT READING THE CORRECT SET OF CHARACTERS, AND WAS NOT ABLE TO IDENTIFY A BCM THAT REQUIRED REPLACEMENT AFFECTED BCMS MAY HAVE THE POTENTIAL FOR AN INTERNAL SHORT."

While my truck was not part of that recall (mine was built a couple months later)...sure makes me wonder if it is some sort of shorting that is causing the problem?? Seems to fit with the rare and occasional failure and then the always and forever failure. Sucky suck.

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
do you know what DTC's they were getting with the fault out of your BCM?

OP
OP
SPRSNK

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you know what DTC's they were getting with the fault out of your BCM?

I did not even think of putting a code reader on it. If it happens again, I will. About to head to Terlingua, so if it ***** out down there I am going to be an unhappy camper.

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
I did some research on the 11 since they are still new haven't seen a lot of issues but when your IC displays "starting system fault" it is a nother way to say there is a theft indicated. So basically the modules in the vehicles can't read the keys and its disabling your starting system. Without knowing what BCM codes it might be throwing that is about all the info I can give. I don't think it would be faulty keys since BFR got an extra for his vehicle when he took it in. I don't think it will just be the raptors that will be having this concern though. Its possible it could be a software update too I think someone stated that earlier.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know the exact codes that the reader was showing. Tech said the starting system/circuit was pretty simple and very few points of failure. Code was telling him pretty much what has been discussed...that the chip in the key was not being recognized, sending the truck into theft mode shutdown. I can see if he can tell me the exact fault codes...oh wait a minute...maybe this from the service receipt thing has it:

INTERMITTENT NO START - VERIFIED CONCERN. NO CRANK NO START WITH TURN OF KEY. CRANK AND START WITH REMOTE START, BUT SHUTS DOWN WITH ACTIVATION OF KEY IN IGNITION. PULL DTCS B10
D9 TRANSPONDER MISSING. PERFORM PIN POINT PER DTC AFTER PINPOINT TEST NO RESOLVE.

That is when he made a new key, then BCM recognizes key not programmed. He programmed the new key. It continued to not work. Then pulled and reinstalled fuse 18 to reset the BCM. Magically it worked for about 5 or 6 more starts with either key...before the next morning not working at all and having to be flatbedded back to dealer.

So here is the latest. I escalated it through the Ford customer service system on Friday. Was told by first rep that BCM was on backorder. Later message from senior rep said they would expedite as best they could, would contact me on Monday regarding current status and dealing with transportation for me to get family home, me back to truck when fixed, etc.etc. (I was out of cell range when she called me back late in the workday on Friday) So basically tooling around the last few days in a rented Jeep and waiting for more info on Monday AM.

I'll update then.

OP
OP
SPRSNK

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn..and I'm about to go out to the desert. Hope it doesn't happen again.