With the price of TRx, why are folks paying ADM for raptors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CW McCall

Reaction score
The retail allocation system is different in a very specific way and it while demand is definitely a factor it makes it much easier for the trx pricing to be driven down
I am probably not covering all the nuances but this is the jist
-TRX (and other stellanis perf vehicles) dealers get limited stock allocation based on some sales history formula and a starting point for retail allocations. HOWEVER for every retail allocation they sell (not order) they get another one. So dealers are incentivized to deal a bit so they can get more vehicles. Stellanis biggest issue is dealers faking customer info for more lot cars. It’s also why trx more likely to be on a lot, why buy now from a dealer when you can order and get it your way
-ford dealers get limited limited number of stock allocations AND a specific limited number of retail allocations. Theoretically this should make the dealers more willing to deal on retail allocations because there must be a customer lined up. However the market is still out of balance enough that unlike trx where a dealer at msrp or below can absorb “more than their fair share” of orders just to get more trucks, once a “good” ford dealer at msrp is out of retail allocations they just can’t get any more even if a customer would prefer to order from them than the “bad” dealer 20 miles away that is 20k over msrp

EDIT: I will add my own opinion on how it should work
Dealers get a fixed supply of stock allocations for demos and the buy off the lot crowd. Retail allocations are first come first serve between ford corporate and the customer, the customer then takes that allocation and can shop it around to dealers to be the delivery dealer of choice and the incremental margin of selling a new vehicle.

Your take on how it should work is great. It boggles my mind that Ford would take a willing order in hand and potentially disregard it. But then it also boggles my mind that they'd ever build an $85k truck without a heated steering wheel. Basically, they should move heaven and earth to make sure those trucks have every feature available. Not a single Ecosport should leave the factory with ambient lighting, temp display on their dials (lol), or heated steering wheels or seats.

I very briefly worked in sales. I was absolutely terrible at it. But even I understood that a warm (or hot) lead was way better than cold calling. Ford makes a lot on these Raptors. Why wouldn't they want to build as many as possible?

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
No VIN or tangible updates regarding build date or anything. Dealer had multiple allocations over the past year but I'm assuming he was lower on the list than they communicated originally.
Well, I'm not sure how serious your friend really is about the truck or how long he is willing to wait, but he might want to consider another dealer. I don't see it happening at his current dealer.

Dudebrodude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure how serious your friend really is about the truck or how long he is willing to wait, but he might want to consider another dealer. I don't see it happening at his current dealer.
He has a gen2 now so he doesn't need to rush but he's kind of at the point of "if it comes it comes"

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Ford seems to be quick if you have a guaranteed allocation, otherwise you wait a year ha. Buddy of mine has a 37pp on order since December of last year with no updates.

Let me preface this by stating up front, I am not and have not been in the Jen Tres market but my observation of the FRF Raptor ordering and buying experience doesn’t seem to agree with you. Again, I’ve not shopped for them.

What’s the actual turnaround time for people who ordered AND had an allocation; confirmed?

I’ve been seeing times that have been pretty laughable but a lot of these I’m sure never had an allocation. Is it really as fast as 8 months ? ( how said is it that this is a real question...)

Dudebrodude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me preface this by stating up front, I am not and have not been in the Jen Tres market but my observation of the FRF Raptor ordering and buying experience doesn’t seem to agree with you. Again, I’ve not shopped for them.

What’s the actual turnaround time for people who ordered AND had an allocation; confirmed?

I’ve been seeing times that have been pretty laughable but a lot of these I’m sure never had an allocation. Is it really as fast as 8 months ? ( how said is it that this is a real question...)
Confirmed only by what I've seen on postings here so not from first hand experience. When I say guaranteed allocation, I mean there are no existing orders open at a dealer and they have an allocation waiting when you make the order. I have seen several posts about people putting orders within the last couple of months and have scheduled build dates.

I think you're right that most of the orders that take a year didn't have an allocation or were just wayyyy down on lists and dealers were lying to get a deposit down.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you provide links or price tags? Finding hard to believe you see any
This is the email they sent me and quoting a guaranteed order at 3-4mo turnaround generally. I’m not searching for actual trucks on the lot but feel free to do it yourself.

Attachments

• 48F41CA1-9CF5-4653-9FE5-803C10E4F66B.png
    48F41CA1-9CF5-4653-9FE5-803C10E4F66B.png
    430.5 KB · Views: 44

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can you provide links or price tags? Finding hard to believe you see any

This is the email they sent me and quoting a guaranteed order at 3-4mo turnaround generally. I’m not searching for actual trucks on the lot but feel free to do it yourself.
Guess that settles that! Lol

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I guess I just look at it like you're spending 80-90k and either truck isn't getting amazing mileage. If a Raptor averages 14mpg and drives 12k miles a year at $5/gallon, thats $357 a month in fuel while a TRX averaging 11 mpg would be $454 a month.

If someone is buying a vehicle at this price point and that extra $100 a month breaks them, they should reconsider whether either truck is a good fit for their financial situation.
I can easily afford either one…not like price is that much different - as could many others on this forum, I owned my ‘18 Raptor outright & now my ‘20 same thing- I have no payment. And STILL the biggest reason I could justify the TRX was the horrific mpg- I don’t Think they’re as close as you indicate at all, it’s a solid 5mpg difference but around town it can be abysmal.

You can justify/rationalize anything if you lobby hard enough for it (in your mind or otherwise) but at the end of the day 99.9% of people don’t have “unlimited $$$” as I said, & if they do…..you’re seriously limiting yourself driving a Raptor OR a TRX lol

But I have 2 kids @ home & when I bought my 2020 after going through this exact exercise I couldn’t justify blowing another $200/month on 93 octane when I could instead put that into my kids college fund(s)…..or do what I did instead of that & got a 2nd Yamaha waverunner lol, that payment after what I put down is like $180 a month

So for me the difference in mpg between DD’ing a Raptor or a TRX averaging 17k-20k miles a year equated to a brand new $17k waverunner except that’ll be paid off in 3 years & id still be pissing $$$ on gas for a few years longer if I had gotten a TRX (tend to keep my vehicles 5 years if I can)

If I lived in a place I could seriously off-road regularly + had big distance between locations (which tends to be the case in MT/NV/UT/AZ/CO etc etc) I mean it’s really not even worthy of discussion at that point

Dudebrodude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can easily afford either one…not like price is that much different - as could many others on this forum, I owned my ‘18 Raptor outright & now my ‘20 same thing- I have no payment. And STILL the biggest reason I could justify the TRX was the horrific mpg- I don’t Think they’re as close as you indicate at all, it’s a solid 5mpg difference but around town it can be abysmal.

You can justify/rationalize anything if you lobby hard enough for it (in your mind or otherwise) but at the end of the day 99.9% of people don’t have “unlimited $$$” as I said, & if they do…..you’re seriously limiting yourself driving a Raptor OR a TRX lol

But I have 2 kids @ home & when I bought my 2020 after going through this exact exercise I couldn’t justify blowing another $200/month on 93 octane when I could instead put that into my kids college fund(s)…..or do what I did instead of that & got a 2nd Yamaha waverunner lol, that payment after what I put down is like $180 a month

So for me the difference in mpg between DD’ing a Raptor or a TRX averaging 17k-20k miles a year equated to a brand new $17k waverunner except that’ll be paid off in 3 years & id still be pissing $$$ on gas for a few years longer if I had gotten a TRX (tend to keep my vehicles 5 years if I can)

If I lived in a place I could seriously off-road regularly + had big distance between locations (which tends to be the case in MT/NV/UT/AZ/CO etc etc) I mean it’s really not even worthy of discussion at that point
I'm not trying to make a point that the TRX is worth the extra money compared to the Raptor. Both trucks are great and each person's use case would likely dictate their decision. For example, I only drive 6-7k miles a year and that's including 1,000+ desert miles and trips to baja so the mileage isn't a huge impactor for me. To your point, my around town mileage is abysmal. I get under 10mpg on 37s around town and drive very spiritedly. On long trips with cruise control at 75-85, I get 13-15mpg. Friends with Raptors on 37s have said they get 2-3mpg better in each area which makes sense.

That said, my statement all started from someone saying they got rid of a TRX because they couldn't afford the gas cost. I couldn't rationalize and wouldn't recommend any purchase in the $80k+ range if an additional $1-200 put me in a a bad financial position.