Why wouldn't Ford put 3.5 EcoBoost in Raptors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm with cleave on this use it or lose it. It's like the work truck made for a farmer construction turning into a boat hauler grocery getter. Everyone want's mpg but look at where it's going. the 80s was the first little flush of small town pickups. But it's hard to pull a boat with a light little pickup so let's make the pickup bigger with better mpg gutless wonders. manufacturers go where the money is we are still buying the raptor so that's why they are still being made. most of the gas guzzling car's trucks went out with the I don't even remember what it was called buy out

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

moral of the story LET A RAPTOR BE A RAPTOR.

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have yet to see any proof a 3.5L ecoboost can reliably perform for hundreds of thousands of miles, tow boats and trailers, and still get good fuel mileage on a 6000# vehicle. I already know a 6.2L can do all of those things (minus the fuel mileage). "Premature" would be an understatement to most of these claims.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen that video. Do you think it can do that in a raptor with real miles? (Not dyno)?

Yep. With no problem. The 6.2L will do it also. The great thing about a turbo like the 3.5L is it get its peak TQ at 2500 rpm vs the 6.2L which gets its peak TQ at 4500 rpm. The counts for less downshifting and better mpgs. Would I like a 5.0L Eb in the Raptor hell Yes!!! but I dont think that will ever happen but if it did I would have me one

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 6.2 wasn't the original engine only because it wasn't quite ready for the 2010 model year, the thing is that Jamal saved the 6.2L with the raptor, if the hurricane/boss project had gone another year without a production vehicle running it ford most likely would've axed the project and ford wouldn't have a relatively large gas v-8 at all, that's how close big v-8s are to being dropped forever (and a 6.2L isn't really a very large v-8 to begin with), and it wouldn't stop with them, smaller v-8s would be the next to be axed, look at government motors, their cts-v line doesn't even have a v-8 anymore, that was supposed to be their top performance cadillac

You know the 6.2 is what is used in the gas 3/4 and 1 tons.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
holy crap the ecoboost has molly

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

You know the 6.2 is what is used in the gas 3/4 and 1 tons.

no it can't be <sarcastic you can use e-85 in those engines.

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep. With no problem. The 6.2L will do it also. The great thing about a turbo like the 3.5L is it get its peak TQ at 2500 rpm vs the 6.2L which gets its peak TQ at 4500 rpm. The counts for less downshifting and better mpgs. Would I like a 5.0L Eb in the Raptor hell Yes!!! but I dont think that will ever happen but if it did I would have me one

A 5.0L ecoboost would be pretty sweet. I don't think it would be such a bad thing if ford gave customers the option to go big v8 or ecoboost.

I would still be a v8 guy, but I've always liked the big gas guzzlers.