Why wouldn't Ford put 3.5 EcoBoost in Raptors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh, you agree then. It sounded like you were saying the 6.2 is a dog.

IMO the 6.2 is abit of a dog, but it's all relative. At one point 2 years ago my driveway consisted of TWO supercharged 5.4L harley trucks, a supercharged 5.4L lightning, a new 5.0 mustang, and a gen 1 Lightning 5.8L motor swapped '85 F-150. Not a single non-performance vehicle lol. Guys coming from non-performance oriented vehicles, the 6.2 is fast as heck. But if I'm hopping out of our 14 second twin turbo Explorer Sport and getting into my 15 second Raptor, it feels like a ****. If I'm hopping out of my 9 second twin-screw supercharged Harley truck, the raptor feels like a snail trying to drop a **** lol.

Now I am impressed compared to the old N/A 5.4. My second Harley Truck ran 16.2 when it was bone stock N/A and 1k lbs lighter than the Raptor. So for the Raptor to be 1k lbs heavier and over a second faster in the 1/4 mile, it's impressive. But I'm a sucker for torque, and N/A torque curves don't quite tickle my fancy compared to the torque curve of the 3.5 Ecoboost or the supercharged 5.4's.

Just because it's different don't be hatin..........admire Ford for pushing the envelope and planning for the future. Would I trade for an ecoboost........................hell no. But I am an old fart that loves the big V8.

ding ding ding! If ford were ditching the big V8 completely and only offereing a 3.5 EB....I wouldn't be a fan at all. But offering the option, and still keeping the big V8 for those guys who want it, it's no harm no foul, but there's clearly quite a few uncomfortable with their manhood at even the thought of a 2nd engine being an option that they have to grunt and call the ecoboost stupid names and say they love their ****** mileage and mediocre torque curve because they have V8 rumble lol

This is false, the throttle on the raptor is the reverse of that, at 100% throttle below 2,500 rpm the throttle only opens 20-30%, by 3,500 rpm the throttle only opens to 50% then ramps up quickly to 100% at full throttle by 4,000 rpm, this is done to protect the engine more than anything else, at low rpms when you go full throttle it puts a huge amount of load on the engine, limiting the air allowed into the engine at these rpms reduces the load and improves engine life, the sluggishness in offroad mode you feel is the torque converter clutch locking up more at lower rpms, resulting in less torque multiplication and less torque getting put down to the ground, this is why the truck will get amazing fuel mileage in offroad mode at lower speeds, and is also the reason they say to not use offroad mode on the street, it puts a lot of stress on the power train to have the torque converter locked up at such low speeds

I was using those % as examples, not as gospel, and I don't disagree that the computer doesn't let it go to 100% WOT until it wants you to get there, but it is still true that it's not a linear throttle input, and from a stop it takes less throttle input and gives more throttle position, than a cable operated pedal would do, thereby making it feel like the truck is peppier/snappier than it really is.

As for the converter locking up more in ORM, never heard of that being changed with ORM. It will hold gears longer, but it also definitely does change the throtle mapping to linear. It's instantly noticible before the converter is even locked up, and it's been well documented both on here, and in press releases, and I believe even in the owners manual that ORM engages a linear throttle response.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/off-road-mode-12234/

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Reptar I take it you're 6.2 is stock? what would happen If you took the 6.2 and stuck it in the harley truck? ran it thru it's paces then stuck the ecoboost in that same truck and ran it what would win?

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
IMO the 6.2 is abit of a dog, but it's all relative. At one point 2 years ago my driveway consisted of TWO supercharged 5.4L harley trucks, a supercharged 5.4L lightning, a new 5.0 mustang, and a gen 1 Lightning 5.8L motor swapped '85 F-150. Not a single non-performance vehicle lol. Guys coming from non-performance oriented vehicles, the 6.2 is fast as heck. But if I'm hopping out of our 14 second twin turbo Explorer Sport and getting into my 15 second Raptor, it feels like a ****. If I'm hopping out of my 9 second twin-screw supercharged Harley truck, the raptor feels like a snail trying to drop a **** lol.

Now I am impressed compared to the old N/A 5.4. My second Harley Truck ran 16.2 when it was bone stock N/A and 1k lbs lighter than the Raptor. So for the Raptor to be 1k lbs heavier and over a second faster in the 1/4 mile, it's impressive. But I'm a sucker for torque, and N/A torque curves don't quite tickle my fancy compared to the torque curve of the 3.5 Ecoboost or the supercharged 5.4's.

ding ding ding! If ford were ditching the big V8 completely and only offereing a 3.5 EB....I wouldn't be a fan at all. But offering the option, and still keeping the big V8 for those guys who want it, it's no harm no foul, but there's clearly quite a few uncomfortable with their manhood at even the thought of a 2nd engine being an option that they have to grunt and call the ecoboost stupid names and say they love their ****** mileage and mediocre torque curve because they have V8 rumble lol

I was using those % as examples, not as gospel, and I don't disagree that the computer doesn't let it go to 100% WOT until it wants you to get there, but it is still true that it's not a linear throttle input, and from a stop it takes less throttle input and gives more throttle position, than a cable operated pedal would do, thereby making it feel like the truck is peppier/snappier than it really is.

As for the converter locking up more in ORM, never heard of that being changed with ORM. It will hold gears longer, but it also definitely does change the throtle mapping to linear. It's instantly noticible before the converter is even locked up, and it's been well documented both on here, and in press releases, and I believe even in the owners manual that ORM engages a linear throttle response.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/off-road-mode-12234/

Damn dude..............you got a used car lot or something?? Power is all relative............hell my other little car makes just about everything feel like :dancingpoop:

Battle Born

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No point

The 6,2 is what the Raptor was designed for, anyone who runs hard off-road knows the faster you can go the nicer the ride, for the street fine, but don't waste money on the Raptor get the FX great truck for going to Costco

BramageDained

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6,2 is what the Raptor was designed for, anyone who runs hard off-road knows the faster you can go the nicer the ride, for the street fine, but don't waste money on the Raptor get the FX great truck for going to Costco

So then why was the 6.2 not even an option at first if the truck was designed for the motor.

6.2 because 'Murica. Seems to be most of the argument here.

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The 6.2 wasn't the original engine only because it wasn't quite ready for the 2010 model year, the thing is that Jamal saved the 6.2L with the raptor, if the hurricane/boss project had gone another year without a production vehicle running it ford most likely would've axed the project and ford wouldn't have a relatively large gas v-8 at all, that's how close big v-8s are to being dropped forever (and a 6.2L isn't really a very large v-8 to begin with), and it wouldn't stop with them, smaller v-8s would be the next to be axed, look at government motors, their cts-v line doesn't even have a v-8 anymore, that was supposed to be their top performance cadillac