Why wouldn't Ford put 3.5 EcoBoost in Raptors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Who is saying its a horrible engine? This started out a discussion of 3.5L EB raptor vs 6.2L v8 raptor and devolved from there.

I don't agree with the "3.5L is a ***** engine" comments. I think it's a fine engine. Although I do like to hear my exhaust, but that's more of an aesthetic plus for me.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
well a few ppl are saying it. I'm not but for the raptor I like my 6.2 now if they did the 5 whatever I'd go with that but I'll never have another nother new truck I'm afraid.

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why not try a twin turbo V8 ecoboost as another option? Assuming they could get the MPG in the right range, that would produce more power and not have to nueter two cylinders.

Last edited:

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow! Lots of replies in this thread.

First, I see lots of hate towards the 3.5L EcoBoost, especially in respect to it's acceleration. Like Reptar has pointed out from his experience at the Ford Drive event, the 6.2L trucks and the 3.5L EB trucks are putting up virtually the same drag times. Also, you can/could get a 6.2L in explicitly equipped non-Raptor F-150's, including FX4 Luxury, Lariat Plus, and Platinum. There are a few videos on YouTube of these 6.2L trucks racing against 3.5L EB trucks and the collective results pretty much conclude a tie. This is only my opinion and I realize that it may spark argument, but I'm going to presume that those who are saying that the 3.5L EB is a **** probably didn't really drive one or the rumble of the 6.2L V8 just fooled them into thinking that the Raptor was faster.

With that said, I'd take a 6.2L Raptor over a 3.5L EcoBoost Raptor 8 days a week, 25 hours a day. The Raptor is a prerunner style truck that was "Born in Baja." Most traditional trucks in this genre are naturally aspirated; less mechanical parts is almost always synonymous with less broken parts, especially when driven hard. This is not to say that the EcoBoost engine is not durable, just watch some of the EcoBoost Torture Test videos if you think differently. The 6.2L is the epitome of reliability in a platform that demands performance and doesn't care how many gallons of fuel it drinks in the process. I'd choose the 6.2L truck all day long and forgive me for saying that I feel that anyone who chooses the 3.5L EcoBoost Raptor because it would be lighter and/or get better fuel economy is not the target customer that Ford/SVT had in mind when they designed this truck. The Raptor is a niche market SVT product that was designed to go fast in the dirt, just because it does a lot of other things really good too doesn't mean that "we" should try to make it's fuel economy conform to the masses.

For those speculating about the future of Ford and the 6.2L engine. First of all, to my knowledge, there has been no official word from Ford that there will even be a next model Raptor. However, it'd be pretty surprising if Ford passed on the opportunity to continue cashing in on a truck selling for near MSRP. The 2014 may very well be the last 6.2L Raptor, or it may not be. The 2012 Shelby GT500 had a 550hp SC 5.4L and the 2013+ model got a 662hp SC 5.8L that produced even slightly better fuel economy. This is not to say that Raptor is going to follow suit, but it's just an example of how SVT trends don't always align with the rest of Ford.

One last comment, how can people already be bashing the 2015 2.3L EcoBoost Mustang when it was just debuted a few days ago and pretty much nobody has even driven one yet???

Last edited:

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lets give the 3.5 its due it is a great first effort to use a smaller motor with v8 power. the next generation should be interesting as well. the cost of gas is shaping the market .People i know that use their trucks for work do care about mileage. the only time I need more power is when I am on a incline and need to pass a rv towing a jeep i could definitely use some more thrust than i currently am getting. on the two lane highway if i crunch the gas pedal i want to be in oncoming lane as short of time as possible. in my v8 toureg when i need to pass i always hit near triple digits after a long pass.I always have enough power off road and under normal driving conditions in the raptor.

Last edited:

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You guys don't know the history of the 6.2L or the raptor very well

1) the reason you think "SVT didn't do anything to the 6.2L" is because SVT MADE the engine, there was no lesser model to improve upon before SVT put it into the raptor

2) the 6.2L was the first engine ever put into a raptor, guess what, the raptor r had it in 2008, the truck was designed around that engine

3) the raptor was the first and only vehicle the 6.2L was put into for the first year or so of it's production, it was put into the 2011 super duties around mid year and in a detuned form, it wasn't until 2012 I believe that it was first introduced into the Harley Davidson f-150s in the same tune as the raptor and it wasn't until 2013 that it was no longer limited to special edition trucks and the super duties, and it would've never been in any of those vehicles if the raptor was never made, the super duty would still have the 5.4L as it's gas engine and the f-150's premium engine would be the 5.0L, the raptor was designed around the 6.2L and the 6.2L was designed around the raptor, all the raptor testing was done with a 6.2L and all the 6.2L testing was done in a raptor

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! Lots of replies in this thread.

First, I see lots of hate towards the 3.5L EcoBoost, especially in respect to it's acceleration. Like Reptar has pointed out from his experience at the Ford Drive event, the 6.2L trucks and the 3.5L EB trucks are putting up virtually the same drag times. Also, you can/could get a 6.2L in explicitly equipped non-Raptor F-150's, including FX4 Luxury, Lariat Plus, and Platinum. There are a few videos on YouTube of these 6.2L trucks racing against 3.5L EB trucks and the collective results pretty much conclude a tie. This is only my opinion and I realize that it may spark argument, but I'm going to presume that those who are saying that the 3.5L EB is a **** probably didn't really drive one or the rumble of the 6.2L V8 just fooled them into thinking that the Raptor was faster.

With that said, I'd take a 6.2L Raptor over a 3.5L EcoBoost Raptor 8 days a week, 25 hours a day. The Raptor is a prerunner style truck that was "Born in Baja." Most traditional trucks in this genre are naturally aspirated; less mechanical parts is almost always synonymous with less broken parts, especially when driven hard. This is not to say that the EcoBoost engine is not durable, just watch some of the EcoBoost Torture Test videos if you think differently. The 6.2L is the epitome of reliability in a platform that demands performance and doesn't care how many gallons of fuel it drinks in the process. I'd choose the 6.2L truck all day long and forgive me for saying that I feel that anyone who chooses the 3.5L EcoBoost Raptor because it would be lighter and/or get better fuel economy is not the target customer that Ford/SVT had in mind when they designed this truck. The Raptor is a niche market SVT product that was designed to go fast in the dirt, just because it does a lot of other things really good too doesn't mean that "we" should try to make it's fuel economy conform to the masses.

For those speculating about the future of Ford and the 6.2L engine. First of all, to my knowledge, there has been no official word from Ford that there will even be a next model Raptor. However, it'd be pretty surprising if Ford passed on the opportunity to continue cashing in on a truck selling for near MSRP. The 2014 may very well be the last 6.2L Raptor, or it may not be. The 2012 Shelby GT500 had a 550hp SC 5.4L and the 2013+ model got a 662hp SC 5.8L that produced even slightly better fuel economy. This is not to say that Raptor is going to follow suit, but it's just an example of how SVT trends don't always align with the rest of Ford.

One last comment, how can people already be bashing the 2015 2.3L EcoBoost Mustang when it was just debuted a few days ago and pretty much nobody has even driven one yet???

You guys don't know the history of the 6.2L or the raptor very well

1) the reason you think "SVT didn't do anything to the 6.2L" is because SVT MADE the engine, there was no lesser model to improve upon before SVT put it into the raptor

2) the 6.2L was the first engine ever put into a raptor, guess what, the raptor r had it in 2008, the truck was designed around that engine

3) the raptor was the first and only vehicle the 6.2L was put into for the first year or so of it's production, it was put into the 2011 super duties around mid year and in a detuned form, it wasn't until 2012 I believe that it was first introduced into the Harley Davidson f-150s in the same tune as the raptor and it wasn't until 2013 that it was no longer limited to special edition trucks and the super duties, and it would've never been in any of those vehicles if the raptor was never made, the super duty would still have the 5.4L as it's gas engine and the f-150's premium engine would be the 5.0L, the raptor was designed around the 6.2L and the 6.2L was designed around the raptor, all the raptor testing was done with a 6.2L and all the 6.2L testing was done in a raptor

agreed

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Agreed, but with one minor correction. The Raptor was definitely designed around the 6.2L, but the 6.2L wasn't specifically designed for the Raptor. The 6.2L was originally designed to replace the gas 6.8L V10 in Super Duty. The Super Duty was redesigned in 2011 and all of it's engine options changed:
  • The gas 5.4L was dropped because of the increased tow capacity from the F-150. A properly equipped 2010 5.4L F-150 reached a trailer tow rating of 11,300 lbs. and was within 1,000 lbs. of the 2010 5.4L Super Duty max tow rating.
  • The gas 6.2L (BOSS/Hurricane) replaced the gas 6.8L V10.
  • The Navistar 6.4L diesel was replaced with the Ford 6.7L diesel.

Yes, the first production vehicle that the 6.2L engine was available in was the job-2 (winter 2010) 2010 Raptor, but that is only because of model year release timing and the delay of 2011 Super Duty. The 6.2L would have first been available in Super Duty, but Ford took extra time to be sure the new 6.7L diesel was ready for release.

:cheers: