Which upfitter switches to use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apologies for possible silly question...

Which upfitter switches would you use for lights?
I know they have different amperage ratings. Assuming the led lighting pulls lower amperage than other accessories.

How about the other switches?
Would like to know other's experience with these upfitter switches.

Thank you kindly

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It depends on the amperage draw of the lights, higher amperage lights need a higher amperage switch, but you can use any switch for a low amperage light as long as you install an inline fuse to protect it.

Nd9GcQ5PMKYfaWbQTDV3msCUvodWwvY3FX_2FOzAg&usqp=CAU.png

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not a silly question at all. The other option you have if you want to use a particular switch for a higher amp draw than the switch has, you can run the lights through a relay so you still have a low draw on the switch. The switch is then only controlling the low power draw of the relay. I have BD Pro Combo's on 1, and BD Racer Spots on 6. I wanted them to be as easy as possible for me to find quickly in the dark without looking. Makes it much easier to use them on the back roads because I can easily flip them on or off by feel without looking up. The Pro Combo I have on 6 would be way too much draw, without a relay.

I put my SAE on 2, and my reverse lights on 5, because I never need to reach them quickly, 4 & 5 I don't need yet. Also, don't have a brain fart like I did when you look at the amp ratings of the lights, the rating IS FOR ONE LIGHT, not a pair! Don't ask me how I know this.

Last edited:

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
15e1a47cd30c55bd48f595ca8c3dc5e3.jpg

Need to know what kind of lights you are using. All lights pull different amps.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apologies for possible silly question...

Which upfitter switches would you use for lights?
I know they have different amperage ratings. Assuming the led lighting pulls lower amperage than other accessories.

How about the other switches?
Would like to know other's experience with these upfitter switches.

Thank you kindly
you have to determine the amperage of your lights you are adding. once you reach 75-80% of the switchs amp rating, you need to use relays. the lights you get should have an amperage draw rating, so use that to determine what switch you will use, or if you need to wire a relay.

Fireman Dave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, are many folks actually running straight thru the factory upfitter switch wiring? I planned on using relays regardless of the amp draw.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just curious, are many folks actually running straight thru the factory upfitter switch wiring? I planned on using relays regardless of the amp draw.

I am. A common use is a triple light kit for the bumper pockets, and those are fine for direct wiring. The kits don't even come with relays since they aren't needed. If you have experience with setting up relays, then sure, go ahead and do that and you won't have to be think about the amp draw per switch.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I am. The upfitter wiring is designed with fuses and relays. If you stick to the amperage rating of the switch and give yourself some wiggle room (say no more than 12 amps on a 15 amp switch) then you are using the switches exactly as Ford designed them and you are fine.

Of course, if you need more than 15 amps on a circuit, then you will need to use relays.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i use relays because i have many more lights than i do switches. i added 14 more switches. this allows me to run multiple lights off one relay, and also gives me tha capability of using one aux as a master on off switch

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am planning to just run straight thru when I wire up my fog lights. I have 3 pairs of lights (Baja Designs driving/combo, SAE and S1s) and currently have no plans to add others, so I am just going to go ahead and use switches either switches 1-3 or 2-4, likely 2-4 and save 1 just in case.