Wheel well undercoating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dirtypope

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 19 truck had undercoating applied by recommended place “Ztech” here in Chicago. They use their own formula and they been doing this for years. After it was applied I was waiting 3 days (the truck was sitting in garage with room temperature), the whole coat started to coming off. I went back and they cleared and applied again with same results. They ask me if the dealer put anything on it before and I said no because the dealer never put hands on this truck, so they asked me if factory applied any clear undercoating to prevent rust? I have no idea if they did. Did any of you had same problems?

31550BBF-6636-4B79-A4CE-9E51427446D5.jpeg

1C950894-38EC-4107-83C0-C23D9A614655.jpeg

978730A9-5A02-4341-B95C-ECC422C48948.jpeg

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thoughts: I see snow/ice in there which tells me you MIGHT have been driving with sand on the roads. Seems like you "sandblasted" the coating off.

Aside from that they have a product problem so start at the application prep of the wheel wells. Maybe they got a bad batch of product??

OP
OP
Dirtypope

Dirtypope

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thoughts: I see snow/ice in there which tells me you MIGHT have been driving with sand on the roads. Seems like you "sandblasted" the coating off.

Aside from that they have a product problem so start at the application prep of the wheel wells. Maybe they got a bad batch of product??
That was my first thought and they are looking if there is any issues with their batch

Raptor-FTW

Reaction score
Unless Ford started adding some new coating to the 19s, it seems more likely the undercoating place is the source of issue. I've had my rear wheel wells coated in linex and I have no real degradation a year and a half in. My only other thought is what is "room temperature" for your garage. Might it have been too cold to properly cure?

OP
OP
Dirtypope

Dirtypope

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless Ford started adding some new coating to the 19s, it seems more likely the undercoating place is the source of issue. I've had my rear wheel wells coated in linex and I have no real degradation a year and a half in. My only other thought is what is "room temperature" for your garage. Might it have been too cold to properly cure?
It’s possible the weather is a main factor. Tomorrow -24 degrees here in Chicago so yes that might be the problem but the place was assuring me that application can be applied at any time.

What kind of linex did you used? They are applying regular rubberized undercoating...

Raptor-FTW

Reaction score
It’s possible the weather is a main factor. Tomorrow -24 degrees here in Chicago so yes that might be the problem but the place was assuring me that application can be applied at any time.

What kind of linex did you used? They are applying regular rubberized undercoating...

I gotta admit I'm suspicious of temperature playing a factor in things. Current Chicago temps don't really fall under what I would consider a "standard range."
As for my lining, I have to go dig up old receipts to confirm but I think it was http://www.linex.com/bedliners/premium.

OP
OP
Dirtypope

Dirtypope

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there is any reason why Ford doesn’t have rear wheel guards???? Seriously wtf!?!?!?