Wheel Finish Issue. What would you do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nibbl3s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a minor issue that I want your input on. Like many, I took part in the venomrex special that was being offered a month ago. I bought the highland bronze for my raptor (from a vendor on the forum) and had them installed a few weeks ago. While I initially loved them, my significant other noticed that one looked darker than the others.

At first I thought it was dirty but it looks as if the finish on one of my wheels is darker with less luster than the other three. I am attaching a picture, the top photo is the wheel in question. The bottom is representative of the other three (taken in the same lighting)

I approached the dealer who I bought them from ( who have been great) and they spoke to venomrex. Venomrex stated that it was standard variation and that the only solution they offered was to ship the wheels back at their expense and have them all refinished. I could only do this if I had the original packaging (which I did not). I also was not about to incur the costs of removing these, mounting my stock wheels and then having to remount these again with balancing when they come back (easily $300). I was hoping for an easy swap of the problem wheel, but apparently that was out of the question. this was the only solution offered from them.

the vendor offered to sell me another wheel at a discount, but I decided not to at the time as I did not want to sink more money into this for potentially the same result. I do find it odd that three are fine and one is obviously different.

It’s not the biggest deal in the world, and I though I could live with it, but it just looks really obvious In some lighting. I am about to just put the stock bead locks back on and get rid of them. What would you all do? Is this acceptable variation?

thanks in advance

004E927F-0EA8-47F8-9D62-A0492757F553.jpeg

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If they weren’t free and you’re not satisfied with the purchase, then you should follow up with the seller/retailer/wheel maker. I don’t spend much time cleaning wheels, or exhaust, at least on my 4 wheelers. On my bikes, yeah, I’ll actually spend time cleaning them... because I paid 3 large for them. When purchased, they were visibly flawless and yeah, I checked ever inch.

If it were me, I’d certainly consider the additional wheel at a discount, validate that it matches the others and use the off color wheel for a spare. I hear you about throwing good money after bad, and I have to say the wheel maker hasn’t acquitted themselves well here IMO. I can understand perhaps they want to ensure the issue is once and finally resolved the first time and be done with it. OTOH, I think this:
I could only do this if I had the original packaging
is a ch!cken $hit response.

For what it’s worth, I’m buying wheels for my Rap, almost certainly in the next 4-5 months. I have a list that I’ve been discussing with one of our fantastic supporting vendors. Thanks for letting us know about this, my list is now pared of all Venomrex branded wheels.

I did wheels on 2 previous Mustangs and one of them had an odd vibration. When I contacted the seller, I was met with ‘we stand behind every wheel we sell’ ... they offered some suggestions on what to check besides balance, which --every-- tire shop wants to do. When I finally ran it to ground, all the wheels and my new tires were exonerated, it ended up being control arm bushings.

Good luck

OP
OP
N

Nibbl3s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they weren’t free and you’re not satisfied with the purchase, then you should follow up with the seller/retailer/wheel maker. I don’t spend much time cleaning wheels, or exhaust, at least on my 4 wheelers. On my bikes, yeah, I’ll actually spend time cleaning them... because I paid 3 large for them. When purchased, they were visibly flawless and yeah, I checked ever inch.

If it were me, I’d certainly consider the additional wheel at a discount, validate that it matches the others and use the off color wheel for a spare. I hear you about throwing good money after bad, and I have to say the wheel maker hasn’t acquitted themselves well here IMO. I can understand perhaps they want to ensure the issue is once and finally resolved the first time and be done with it. OTOH, I think this:

is a ch!cken $hit response.

For what it’s worth, I’m buying wheels for my Rap, almost certainly in the next 4-5 months. I have a list that I’ve been discussing with one of our fantastic supporting vendors. Thanks for letting us know about this, my list is now pared of all Venomrex branded wheels.

I did wheels on 2 previous Mustangs and one of them had an odd vibration. When I contacted the seller, I was met with ‘we stand behind every wheel we sell’ ... they offered some suggestions on what to check besides balance, which --every-- tire shop wants to do. When I finally ran it to ground, all the wheels and my new tires were exonerated, it ended up being control arm bushings.

Good luck

Thanks man. I may contact the vendor again tomorrow to see what the price on the discounted wheel was. As I have said, the vendor From here that I purchased the wheels from has been great so far trying to find solutions. I think the manufacturer has been difficult by the sound of it

I think I would be much more angry if I had paid full price for the wheels.

Terry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the vendors offer is fair. One lesson learned is to keep packaging on big ticket items until you are certain it's not needed anymore. Best of luck with it.

SlickMachine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went through a similar experience with bespoke bronze wheels for my previous A7. Hand painted bronze wheels, matte finish. One wheel had imperfections, I sent it back at their expense. They repainted it, without reference to any of the other wheels, sent it back to me. This process occurred again because they packed the wheel before the clear dried and it was imprinted with the cloth they used to bag the wheel. Story ends with a perfectly matched wheel set after twice back and forth, zero cost to me.
I don't buy the variance BS. I don't accept the original packaging excuse. Find a box, replicate their packaging- that should be good enough. In the world of online wheel purchasing, a company can't afford to make **** difficult for customers who get less than perfect results. That wheel is far enough off to warrant an exchange, stick with it and ride their ass.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd have to agree that top wheel looks like it has much less gold in the mix. I would be bummed if I was in your shoes. If Venomrex will not stand good for it, and I think they should, I agree with the Smurf man, I would see how cheap you could get the extra wheel and use the off one as a spare.

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with Smurf, Venomrex should make good on matching the wheels. They seem to do a lot of business with Rap owners and this is the first time I’ve heard of this issue. I think it would be in their best interest to make it right for the customer regardless if he has the original shipping box. Business is business and we should get what we order without miss/match finishes. M2CW

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
They should all match, it's not like you ordered 3 bronze and 1 gold, or whatever. I don't know anything about wheel finishing in particular, but it would make sense that they are finished in batches and should probably shipped as such, to account for variance from batch to batch. That is basic quality assurance stuff, they screwed up.

Now, what if they send you a new one and it matches the odd ball? I guess you could put them both on one side?

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Funny you mentioned that, I'm in the same position wanting new wheels in a few months and was really leaning towards the Venomrex VR-602. I think this just changed my mind.