Whats missing here and what to do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lucky14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They dont have to disclose it and it's really not unusual for repairs. My truck had a paint bubble in the hood. Turns out that they had tried to fix it sometime after the initial paint was shot and the fix was not correct. Ford paid for a really good local shop to fix it and it's absolutely correct now.

But the "out on the track" and numerous signs of paint missing/damaged seems pretty odd. I would take it back to them, point it all out and see what they say. You purchased a new truck.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
BDRAG, leave it alone. it's probably "on purpose" as long as it has primer and clear coat it doesn't post much of a risk for rust. remember these baby's are mass produced machines and no 2 will be alike.

OP
OP
BDRAG

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
BDRAG, leave it alone. it's probably "on purpose" as long as it has primer and clear coat it doesn't post much of a risk for rust. remember these baby's are mass produced machines and no 2 will be alike.

I know what you mean as far as mass produced. I am not mad about anything other than the fact that I did not see it for a month. I had seen a few other spots like under the hood and in the fender areas but missed this area RIGHT where I should see it EVERY TIME I open the drivers door. Now I see it for sure! AHhahaaaaaa.

I am gettin old! I use to buy a new ride, take it home and within 2 days I would have HAND WASHED the new ride and found EVERYTHING WRONG! Not now. I do not care as much I guess? Lazy old man? HAhahaaaaaa SHIT!

I use to be a car show judge at the Dallas AutoRama from 1978 - 2005, 26 years! Shit pops out at me thats not right on everything but my own new ride? I am gettin old! HAhahaaaaa SHIT! Bad eyes, fat, lazy, grey haired BUT DAMN GOOD LOOKING for the afore mentioned and still 16 at heart!!!!!! HAHhahaaaaaa.
BDRAG

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
All factory paint is done by robotics these days. The finish should be very consistant over the entire vehicle. I believe Ford is now using the newer electrostactic paint system. It makes it virtually impossible not to have a consistant finish. Back to the dealer for sure.

Lucky14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True. Given you are seeing it in more than one spot, it sounds like something not-so-good happened here. As SilverBolt said, it's all robotic so this kind of thing makes no sense unless someone stripped and sprayed the door and missed that area. The thing you will need to consider is the liklihood that they may screw something else up.

OP
OP
BDRAG

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
All factory paint is done by robotics these days. The finish should be very consistant over the entire vehicle. I believe Ford is now using the newer electrostactic paint system. It makes it virtually impossible not to have a consistant finish. Back to the dealer for sure.

Looking at the door again this morn, if the passenger door was open half way the non painted hinge area is covered by the main body of the hinge. Close the door and the non black area shows on the hinge. So it looks to me like the door was open when the paint was applied. Its like it was sprayed from an angle and just missed the whole edge. Like I said, The door was partially open when paint was applied.

The paint is to consistant on the outside surfaces to be patch work. Maybe they sprayed the whole damn truck chasing their mistakes? AHhahaaaaa. The paint on the truck looks good. There is one small defect on the right front fender almost like a sprayed over 1/4 inch diamiter fisheye. Its painted decent and only shows from a certain angle. Not worth risking a repair and messing up the uniform matalic paint. I will drop by and show it to them and see what they say.

I thought I saw a video where the boidy and bed are all painted at the same time and then disassembled and the parts go here and there and then meet back up at a certain station. Maybe the door didn't get closed or opened right for the robot to shit its load on it.

BDRAG

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
PSH I wish the paint was done like porsche, they put a positive charge in the frame/panels and a negative charge in the paint. So when it gets sprayed, its perfectly even and creates a better bond. they do this with every stage, so no orange peel like most vehicles suffer from.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
PSH I wish the paint was done like porsche, they put a positive charge in the frame/panels and a negative charge in the paint. So when it gets sprayed, its perfectly even and creates a better bond. they do this with every stage, so no orange peel like most vehicles suffer from.

That is electrostatic painting. Hyundai was the first to use it. Now most all manufacturer's use it.

Lucky14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wont work on the Raptor - at least not for the front fenders and hood. They are fiberglass. I found that out when I had the bubble in the paint fixed on my hood some months back.

peppercorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at the door again this morn, if the passenger door was open half way the non painted hinge area is covered by the main body of the hinge. Close the door and the non black area shows on the hinge. So it looks to me like the door was open when the paint was applied. Its like it was sprayed from an angle and just missed the whole edge. Like I said, The door was partially open when paint was applied.

The paint is to consistant on the outside surfaces to be patch work. Maybe they sprayed the whole damn truck chasing their mistakes? AHhahaaaaa. The paint on the truck looks good. There is one small defect on the right front fender almost like a sprayed over 1/4 inch diamiter fisheye. Its painted decent and only shows from a certain angle. Not worth risking a repair and messing up the uniform matalic paint. I will drop by and show it to them and see what they say. I thought I saw a video where the boidy and bed are all painted at the same time and then disassembled and the parts go here and there and then meet back up at a certain station. Maybe the door didn't get closed or opened right for the robot to shit its load on it.

BDRAG

Hey BDRAG,
Just thought of this the other day, sooooo, did you show them and,if so, what did they say?