Water in Both Exhaust Pipes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your coolant level, if it is normal then you are good. Under ideal conditions the simplified explantion of combustion of gasoline will look like:

2 C8H18 (gas) + 25 O2 (intake air) which after spark is converted to: 16 CO2 + 18 H2O

Now we do not live under ideal conditions so the resulting combustion will have other nasties in the output like NO2, additional CO2, or unburnt Hydrocarbons. In addition I am not taking into account and additives the fuel companies might have added.

When the vehicle is not up to full operating temperature, you will see water droplets coming from exhaust to be more prevalent but as the exhaust reaches normal operating temperature it will turn to steam. Also you can see a lot during start up due to condensation collecting as the exhaust system cools down from drive prior.

Edit: Ditchplains1 had an awesome explanation that I didn't see, that's what I get for reading the OP and going to bed thinking I will respond in the morning.

Last edited:

Ironhorse07

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bailer,
The combustion of gasoline in the engine produces a plethora of chemicals. Many of these are burned in the catalytic converter producing H2O as a byproduct.
Initially when the catalytic convertors have not achieved optimal temperature the H2O produced is in the liquid form. As the temperature of the catalytic convertors increases the water produced goes straight to the gaseous state and passes un-noticed; (except in cold weather where the vaporized H2O exiting the exhaust condenses in the cold air and it appears as steam coming from the exhaust..).
Why more H2O now after 3,000 miles? Cooler temperatures leading to longer time for the catalytic converter to heat up thus less H2O is vaporized making it appear as increased liquid?
Higher air pressure again keeping the water in the liquid state longer? Engine idling for longer time keeping the catalytic converters from reaching optimal temperatures?
Most likely there is no change in H2O production; rather a change in perception!
Years ago Click and Clack on NPR had a puzzler that went something like this....
"A state trooper was notified that a robbery had just taken place at a local bank about 20 miles from his location. The thieves took off in a late model bright yellow Camaro and were headed his way. The officer went to a part of town where the roads converged and the thieves would need to pass through. As he pulled into town he saw two young men leave the local diner and climb into a late model bright yellow Camaro and begin to drive away.
The state trooper watched them drive off and waited for the thieves to arrive; which they did about 2 minutes later. The state trooper made the arrest right in front of the diner. One of the waitresses asked the trooper how he knew it wasn't the first Camaro?
He said he saw water dripping from the exhaust and knew instantly that that Camaro hadn't just travelled 20 miles...."
Eddie

https://www.aol.com/video/view/sad-...-clack--brother-tom-magliozzi-dies/518495806/

This, are you driving far enough to heat up the catalytic converter? I worked with a guy that had a beater that he just drove to work and back, about 3/4 mile each way, that thing would rust out the exhaust about every 2 years.