JDM Tune vs. 5 Star Tunes: A Comparative Review.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since this post was originally comparing to the 5 Star tune, I'd like to throw my two cents into the ring. I thought I'd go for the JDM tune, looked at the price, kinda steep, so I checked Facebook Marketplace, and sure enough, there's a G1 raptor owner selling his 5 Star tune and SCT loader. Asked him why he was selling it? He said cuz he got a full dyno tune so they pulled out the 5 Star tune. He said for the money, he liked the 5 Star, the dyno tune didn't do much from the seat of the pants, but he was committed. Offered to let me try the tune before buying.

He had a 91 Octane Economy, Tow and Performance tune on the SCT. That's perfect for me cuz on the Left Coast that's the best gas we can get. He was running 37" tires, but the SCT tuner allowed adjusting that to 35" for my install. Loaded 91 Octane Performance successfully and off I went. First thing I did as I pulled away from his garage was squeal the tires! Shift points were fantastic. Trans no longer jumped right up into 6th gear at 40 mph, and downshifts from 5th snapped off nicely with a mild press of the pedal. That pedal, it was really the most noticeable change; it no longer took a deep jab of my foot to rocket off the line! I can't imagine needing a pedal commander after loading a tune like this! The first two times I left a traffic light with a little gusto just spun the tires on dry pavement effortlessly! Feels like I added 20+ HP and a bunch of torque! Stock exhaust with resonator and intake.

I circled back to the guy's house and told him "Take my money!!" Handed him his asking price, $200, and he also threw in two nearly new mufflers: a Flowmaster 10 (loud) and a Magnaflow straight through (quieter) since he went straight piped. I felt like I stole something ;) !!

So just to add, any of these tunes will really benefit our G1 6.2's. Do it if you can, it's pretty impressive. Cold air intake is next, right after I flange those two mufflers so I can swap between them and hear the difference! Can't wait...

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am also interested in tunes. After reading all of this. I thought I would give them both a call 5 star and JDM. I had a nice conversation with JDM about starting the process. 5 star I couldn't get ahold of all day on the phone. Some people I know that is not important to them. It is to me. I will try again tomorrow (5 star) If they don't have time to answer the phone. I have the money for JDM. I know send them an E mail? That is not MY preferred method to spend my money.

Bsbuggs

Reaction score
I totally agree —had the same experience—with both —I went with iJDM after talking to Jim —we spoke twice before i bought the tune —
I feel as though if I have any questions or concerns Jim will address —NOT slamming 5 star —I already have their tune —but I need a more realiable response

Bsbuggs

Reaction score
JDM Needs to check this post and do us a group buy discount
Spot ON. I called and spoke to Jim yesterday.. I ordered my tune for my Roush... I mentioned to him that the forum was active with owners looking for an affordable tune. Hopefully they can offer something.. I already bought mine at full price but hopefully this helps out another member.

bwep

Reaction score
I ended up going with the 5 Star over JDM. I couldn't justify paying double the price for JDM.
As for 5 star customer service, I'm a little on the fence. I installed the 87 performance tune, noticed better shift points and throttle response.
Problem is this year when I went for vehicle inspection the truck failed. Reason stated on slip was Catalyst ...not ready....Oxygen sensor .... not ready ....Oxygen heater ....not ready.
I called them multiple times only to get answering machine. Left message each time and never received call back.
I have reset back to factory tune, hopefully it will pass. I'm guessing it was the tune messing with the O2 sensors.

akley88

Reaction score
I ended up going with the 5 Star over JDM. I couldn't justify paying double the price for JDM.
As for 5 star customer service, I'm a little on the fence. I installed the 87 performance tune, noticed better shift points and throttle response.
Problem is this year when I went for vehicle inspection the truck failed. Reason stated on slip was Catalyst ...not ready....Oxygen sensor .... not ready ....Oxygen heater ....not ready.
I called them multiple times only to get answering machine. Left message each time and never received call back.
I have reset back to factory tune, hopefully it will pass. I'm guessing it was the tune messing with the O2 sensors.
thats interesting that you had those issues cause they tune a bunch of the 6.2 super duties and the guys that get long tubes were told flat out they wont touch settings for o2 sensors. i was told by them they would not touch any of those cause i asked if they would when i bought my headers and this was before the epa crack downs.

bwep

Reaction score
thats interesting that you had those issues cause they tune a bunch of the 6.2 super duties and the guys that get long tubes were told flat out they wont touch settings for o2 sensors. i was told by them they would not touch any of those cause i asked if they would when i bought my headers and this was before the epa crack downs.
Yeah not sure if its the tune causing the problem. It would be nice if they called me back to discuss this possible issue with there tune ?