Want a new Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm retiring soon and am considering a Raptor as a second vehicle. My other vehicle is a '93 F250. I'll be living winters in the Big Bend. The F250 is a great work truck for me, however it rattles my bones as I drive several thousand miles each year on rough, rocky ranch roads.

How have your Raptors held up when subjected to this kind of rough daily service? What are common issues when subjected to this kind of rough daily use?

I'm looking forward to hearing your comments.

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
:welcome: to the site.
Are you considering a used truck or new?

The trucks have held up amazingly well. The suspension makes it a great truck for road trips. I have 96k on mine in 4 years.

One thing to read up on is the IWE and four wheel drive. There are some ways to drive the truck to help make that weak system last longer. You'll want to do that so you have working four wheel dive for your winters in Big Bend.

Vote for your favorite pic
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f18/january-2017-calendar-vote-46906/
@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:
Delta Lead
www.runraptorrun.com

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome e-30 Rock's
we don't know much about the new yet but some have put better leaf springs on 1k mod. I had a 91 f250 7.3 <truck did great with a load in the back, but the seat in the 12 raptor is way better than a bench lol. you can drive 70mph across a field and not even know your going that fast. In the 250 you'd know it even loaded.

either way the new will have 3.0 out the gate, im not sure on leaf pack.
the 6.2 is proven

good luck you'll love it!

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a 2002 F-250 4x4 before I got my 13 Raptor. The ride is completely different. My super duty was a great work truck but would best the hell out of you. I hardly feel bumps in my Raptor that would make me cringe in my F-250. The Raptor was built to handle the roads in the Big Bend. Hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

Beat the hell out of you.

OP
OP
W

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. My F250 is a 460 and so far has gotten through a lot of rough country. If I go slow enough:). With a thousand pounds or so in the back and 50 PSI in the ride rite air bags it does smooth out some:).

I'm OK with the Raptor mileage as the 460 gets 10-11 on the highway and 6-7 on the ranch roads.

Re:IWE...I'm spoiled with the manual Warn hubs on my '93.

If I do go Raptor I'll likely get a new one.

Still waiting to hear from anyone who drives a lot in rough roads. I'm 30 minutes from pavement where I live in the Big Bend so the off-road miles add up.

I'm hoping that the Raptor will fill the bill for me.

Thanks for helping.

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had driven Ford diesels since the 80s, f250 and f350, the Raptor rides much better. I have towed up to 6000 lbs without a problem. I use mine when I go deer hunting, had it axle dragging deep in Alabama mud, does great! I only have about 20k on it. If you look around on the site there is a mileage thread, many well over 100k. Course this is all on a 2014 6.2, no idea bout the 2017 and the eco boost. I must say, if a eco boost is my only choice in a Ford next time, then I am in my last Ford.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. My F250 is a 460 and so far has gotten through a lot of rough country. If I go slow enough:). With a thousand pounds or so in the back and 50 PSI in the ride rite air bags it does smooth out some:).

I'm OK with the Raptor mileage as the 460 gets 10-11 on the highway and 6-7 on the ranch roads.

Re:IWE...I'm spoiled with the manual Warn hubs on my '93.

If I do go Raptor I'll likely get a new one.

Still waiting to hear from anyone who drives a lot in rough roads. I'm 30 minutes from pavement where I live in the Big Bend so the off-road miles add up.

I'm hoping that the Raptor will fill the bill for me.

Thanks for helping.

Wheelman - as it appears that you are set on the new Gen2, so let's talk ride. I have 74k+ on my 2014. Have added some suspension - 3.0 shocks, 37" tires, etc. My company does work for the railroads, so we drive a lot of dirt/gravel roads - washboarded, rough, you know. Anyway, I have some 3/4 tons and some 1 tons, and I can tell you, these trucks are fantastic on this type of terrain. It's what they are built for. Sure, desert running was the first use, but the washboarded back roads are very similar.

The biggest change that I would do first to your new Gen2 is getting upgraded read leaf springs. This mod will really help with that rear end staying planted on the road. Keep in mind that none of us have driven then new truck, but if it's anything like the Gen1, you will be very happy with the long offroad drive.

Good luck with your choice!!!

shelteredraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a couple of Raptors I know of that have rarely been on pavement, and lived on dirt and gravel roads. They were bought for that reason and have held up superbly. There isn't a better truck made for that purpose without building a custom which will cost a ton more money.

OP
OP
W

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got myself pretty well sold on a new Raptor.

Question 1. Is anyone planning to be in the Big Bend, TX area in mid to late March? Or anytime in April to mid May? I sure would like to get a ride on the back roads if you are going to be there.

Question 2. Should I buy the year one or wait until some of the bugs are worked out and buy a year two model?

I'll likely roll the dice on the Eco-boost...I've been driving Volvo turbos for several hundred thousand miles with absolutely no turbo issues.

Plus I've been driving the 7.5l V8 and would welcome a change to modern.