Crossed owning a Raptor off the Bucket list a few days ago. Checking in from CO.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Win Seeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's up FRF, new owner checking in! I've lurked the forums for a long time, posted a few times as well. I know now is a pretty terrible time to be in the market for a new or used vehicle, but here we are. I sold my 2015 F150 (current profile pic) with 56,000 miles for more than I paid for it and I recouped the cost of my mods... Absolute insanity. I got paid to mod and drive a truck for 3-4 years.. I was between this Raptor and a C7 Grand Sport. I've dreamed of owning a raptor ever since I saw one way back in 2010. That leads me to why I'm here posting in the new Member check-in forum.

I bought a Black 2017 Raptor with 70xxx~ Miles for 51,000$ (Only listing price for other members who may want to compare to their area). 802a, Beadlocks, Sunroof, everything but Carbon Fiber and Orange seats. I've only had the truck for a few days but I'm nothing short of blown away by what a beast this thing really is. I was in the market for a gen 2, or possibly a gen 3. I actually drove a gen 3, a 2020, two 2019s, a 2018, and a few 2017s before deciding on this truck.

I'm lucky enough to be able to afford pretty much anything I wanted, but at the end of the day, I just saw much more value in a used gen 2 than I did a brand new gen 3 or even a few thousand mile 2019/2020 (and they screw you in sales tax and registration fees in Colorado).

I'm looking forward to doing some mods to this truck and getting her out and off the pavement soon. It's ski season and I plan to head up to the ski hill once or twice a week until May, hoping to see some snow.

I've already started my wishlist for mods as well, looking at Fog lights, third break light upgrade, new shocks, breaks, maybe a sub, powder coating the skid plate, and much more that isn't coming to mind atm.

I'd like the forums expert opinion on a few things right off the bat as well, what's the best route for new shocks? Rebuilds are probably the cheapest option compared to just upgrading. I've only had the truck for a few days, but this specific 2017 drives by far and above better than the other trucks I drove, the shocks definitely aren't leaking yet either. I've got some time to figure out what I want, so no rush. I'd like to know what kind of maintenance yall would recommend at the 70,000 mileage mark, and if anybody has a maintenance interval sheet they could link. In regards to new shocks, I'm also considering a leveling kit, from my understanding it seems like you can get a true level without putting much extra strain on the front suspension. I'd prefer to just get a set of front shocks that can be set level versus an actual leveling kit if that's a possibility. What's the recommended tire pressure for comfort and dd'ing?

The one thing I thought I was going to miss from my old truck was my tow mirrors. I haven't thought about them once since getting the raptor. The blind spot indicator is genius, and the mirrors themselves are bigger than expected. I was pleasantly surprised to find a full size spare with a 5TH BEADLOCK RIM underneath the bed! I couldn't be happier! I'm working on programming the garage door opener atm as well if anybody has any tips. I'm pretty sure I need to use an existing door opener + the learn button on my garage door opening unit, right? Finally, the 10 spd. I'm not sure if I like it better than the 6 spd in my old truck, but it certainly does better at speed. I drove a few raptors that had trouble getting out of 4th gear, but this one shifted the best out of all I drove besides the gen 3. This truck has a ford branded bed cover that i'm not sure about yet. The previous owner had the clips way too tight and it was pulling up the trim on top of the bedsides, I'm going to try and use some double sided 3m tape to get it flush again. The paint isn't perfect either. Come spring time i'll do a full detail, and assess the paint officially at that time.

I'd love to hear any tips or recommendations you guys have. I'm glad to finally be in a Raptor and I look forward to using the forum as a great resource. Cheers!

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1238.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1238.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 141

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the place and congrats on a beautiful Gen 2. I would change all fluids except the transmission, unless you just drop the pan and change the filter and fill it back up. Also do a spark plug change, air filter and clean the mas’s ( I think 3 of them). Shocks if not leaking and if not much off-roading I wouldn’t worry til 100k myself. Didnt check where you live, but if you travel over salted roads I would treat the underneath with Fluidfilm or equivalent.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
You sure it doesn't have a leveling kit already? Kind of looks like it, but I could be wrong.

OP
OP
Win Seeker

Win Seeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the place and congrats on a beautiful Gen 2. I would change all fluids except the transmission, unless you just drop the pan and change the filter and fill it back up. Also do a spark plug change, air filter and clean the mas’s ( I think 3 of them). Shocks if not leaking and if not much off-roading I wouldn’t worry til 100k myself. Didnt check where you live, but if you travel over salted roads I would treat the underneath with Fluidfilm or equivalent.
Brand new air filter and fresh oil change. Not too worried about salt either. I'll definitely be changing the spark plugs before the end of the year as well. Thanks for the warm welcome!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF

What's the recommended tire pressure for comfort and dd'ing
stock KO2’s, no load, you can go from about 36 - 33 front and 34-30 rear. Much lower and the TPMS will balk. Depending on driving, any load expected, I stick to around 35-36 front / 34-32 rear.

I’ll add for cargo, but usually not hauling much around.

was pleasantly surprised to find a full size spare with a 5TH BEADLOCK RIM underneath the bed! I couldn't be happier!
Fun Facts: While it’s a 5th bead lock capable rim, stock it is not balanced and no TPMS
I'm pretty sure I need to use an existing door opener + the learn button on my garage door opening unit, right?
Yes, procedure in the owners manual, available at owner.ford.com
I'm also considering a leveling kit, from my understanding it seems like you can get a true level without putting much extra strain on the front suspension.
Why? Seriously. It may not put much extra strain on the suspension and drive components, but it does.

Drive the truck, take it off road and assess what you think you might want to do with it.
Good luck!
#OneLessprius