GEN 2 18 Months of Raptor Ownership, summized.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Joey DeLorenzo

Joey DeLorenzo

Reaction score
Enjoyable read for sure.

I’m glad you’re enjoying your pickup. Only thing I’ll comment is a diesel pickup is not more cost effective than a raptor. They get worse mileage. I love diesel pickups don’t get me wrong, but 13-14 mpg was the best I ever noticed on my diesels. Of course I’m running 80 most of the time but my raptor got 15.3 cruising to Dallas today at 90mph most of the way.
I was always under the impression diesels got better mileage! I learned today! Haha.

I feel blessed, purchased my 17 with 40k on the odometer a year ago and not one issue after 16k miles.

God speed, soldier, I hope you knocked on some wood. Hahah, jk, that's awesome, here's to more problem free miles!

Pretty much the same as my 18. Still am as happy with it as the day I drove it home.
I really don't think it gets old hoping in or out. I drove my family around today and they were just impressed with how quiet it was at 75 MPH, it's helps I was on new rubber, but this truck impresses people are every corner!

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great write up, and thanks for taking the time to do it. I have actually had 0 issues with mine, except for the known Cam Phaser issue which Ford was kind enough to cover and repair and cost me $0. (I have spent another $7000+ in mods...but that is on me!)

These are very fun trucks. I love mine as well. I sort of bought mine on an impulse as my son is turning 16, so I decided to just give him my Jeep Sahara Unlimited to keep him safe for the remainder of school. Needed something big(ger) and good in snow, so I started looking at trucks. One of the people at our church pulled up in a Raptor...And I asked him what kind of truck that was...cuz it was pretty kewl lookin'! Then I found two at a local dealer, and they were reasonable in actually coming off the price a bit! I was paying cash, but agreed to finance a small amount with them if they worked with me...and they did.

So as someone mentioned above ( @Zev ) I too feel blessed and fortunate to have one to enjoy. I find it comical at some of the B**tching that goes on here about these trucks. They are not perfect, but they are darn good IMO. I have owned a lot of cars (20+ Porsches, 6+ Jeep Wranglers, 5+ BMW's, Jaguars, and a host of other cars...yeah I have a problem :)) And all of them, no matter how much they cost, have problems of some kind....But they are cars! They wear and break! If you do not want issues with your car...just park it!

Anyway...Just chiming in with a big ol' LOVE on the Raptor too :) In fact, I like it so much, I have only driven my F-Type R once (pictured below) and 911 Turbo 0 times since getting the Raptor...And the weather has actually been unseasonably mild.

Also, I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, and thank you to all of the military folks on here...Genuinely appreciate your commitment and sacrifice, however you have served. Thank you!

DC

Fr2.jpg

Fr1.jpg

1S.jpg

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice right up Joey and thx for sharing.

The Rock88.

Nice Jag. I was in the same boat. Just got rid of my 14' FType V8S about a month ago. Its in my sig parked front to front by my truck. market was right even though its cold in michigan. got 5k more than I could have last year. Since I got my 18' gen 2 in dec of 2018. I put 1k miles on the car. figured its time to get rid of it.

Miss the power.

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice right up Joey and thx for sharing.

The Rock88.

Nice Jag. I was in the same boat. Just got rid of my 14' FType V8S about a month ago. Its in my sig parked front to front by my truck. market was right even though its cold in michigan. got 5k more than I could have last year. Since I got my 18' gen 2 in dec of 2018. I put 1k miles on the car. figured its time to get rid of it.

Miss the power.
Haha...Well..I have trouble actually getting rid of anything...But it is funny you say that. I was riding around with my son in the F-Type and saw the Raptors at the dealer lot...Got out to look and my teenage son thought the truck was "cool" so it has to be! Salesman came out in about 15 seconds...But instead of coming to us at the truck...He stopped at my car...and said "oh wow is this an R?" I said it sure is...Then he spent 15 minutes trying to buy it from me, until I pretty much told him to shut it, and sell me a truck :) My R has a ton of upgrades on it an I would say likely one of the fastest (based on the forums and 1/2 mile races). Anyway...Enjoy the Raptor! They are fun for sure.

Partial list of mods on my Jag F-Type for you (since you were a previous owner).
Mine is an R AWD - Polaris White / Jet - VAP Stage II ECU Tune, VAP Lower/Crank Pulley, Project 7 Grille, Yellow Wolf Lower Intake,
Mina Gallery Upper Intake, VAP Lowering Springs, Water/Methanol Injection, JLR Sport Design Rear Wing, 15 MM Wheel Adapters, Hyper Black
PC Gyrodyne Wheels, VAP 200 Cell Cats/Downpipes, SVR Rear Diffuser, Disabled Start/Stop, 6000K HIDs, NGK Iridium Plugs HR 7 .030, Sprint Booster V3,
VAP ZF8HP70 TCU Tune

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine was stock rear wheel drive sure went thru tires. 25k miles on it and was on second set of fronts and 3 set of rear tires. hard to not do some drifting. those cars are beasts.. she sure will be missed. my wife's already talking about another convertible. might be going the porshe direction this time.

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine was stock rear wheel drive sure went thru tires. 25k miles on it and was on second set of fronts and 3 set of rear tires. hard to not do some drifting. those cars are beasts.. she sure will be missed. my wife's already talking about another convertible. might be going the porshe direction this time.
Haha. Yes they are fun! And Porsches are great cars too...Likely one of the best made normal production (I have had 20+, so I think I can say that :)). I have had a few 911 Cabriolets, a few Boxters S's (Always get the S), a GT3 and a couple 911 Turbos, etc... Again...You can't go wrong. My wife loves her Cayenne S, and her prior Boxster S and 911 Cabrio. Here is my highly modded 997 TT...They are reeeeeely fast.

Good luck with your Porsche purchase!

DC

SR2.jpg

12S.jpg

Alysium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
14 months of ownership, took the truck home with less than 50 miles on the ODO from the dealer.

42k miles later, running on 37's, springs, e50 tuned, etc., and not one single issue with anything (knock on wood).

I don't look at mpg anymore since I get an average of 11.5 mpg in commiefornia gas prices.

I do all the modifications, installs, maintenance, fluids, filters, tire rotations, etc. on the truck. This will never be taken to a dealership or a shop as I know how they operate there.

Thank you for the review, hopefully the raptor ownership experience is better for you next year :)