Have a 2022 Raptor Allocation @ MSRP. Can't decide between trading in my RS and getting a Raptor or keeping the RS and getting a Lightning.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrettRS

Reaction score
Hey everyone, hows it going.

So, I got a 2022 Raptor allocation last year from the dealer that I purchased my 2016 Ford Focus RS from in 2016 @ MSRP. The sales rep just called me last week and asked if I wanted to put in an order but I told him I thought that the 2022s would be available with the Shelby engine and that hadn't been announced yet, so he said he was going to check in on it and get back to me. So, I think I have a little time.

I'm having a tough time deciding if I should go with the new Raptor and trade-in my RS or if I should go with the cheaper Lightning and keep the RS (I have allocations for both). Originally, I wanted my rich farmer buddy to take my Raptor allocation and get a 2022 Raptor R, but he is getting married this year and they're buying a house and he doesn't have the money to get a new truck. I don't need a new truck like a farmer would, but my last new vehicle was the RS in June 2016 and I'm itching for another new car. Right now I use my truck for driving off-road onto a 10 acre lot I own and getting back to my pig pen to feed and water my hogs and of course I use it to go get straw or anything else I wouldn't want inside a vehicle. Right now I have 5 vehicles for my fiance and I, so once I get either truck, I will likely sell at least 2 vehicles (probably truck and van if I get a new truck). Current vehicles are:

1. 2016 Ford Focus RS in NB (my daily, 87k miles)
2. 2014 Subaru BRZ (fiance daily, 104k miles)
3. 2003 Ford E-250 Cargo Van (tow, haul brush, etc, 188k miles)
4. 1996 Mazda B4000 Truck (historic tags, mostlly for my pigs and lot, 162k miles*broken)
5. 1987 Fiat/Bertone X1/9 ( historic, 84k miles)

So, I kind of see 2 ways my 2022 can go with a new truck:

1. I trade-in the RS and can get a new 2022 Raptor (non-R) for ~ $45k USD or Raptor R for ~65k (probably won't want to do that payment, though, for the R version). This means the Raptor will become my daily and I would get rid of the Mazda truck, dropping me to 4 vehicles (preferable). It also means I would put around 100k miles on it by 2027-2028, judging by the miles on my RS.

2. I keep the RS and can buy a new Ford Lightning for ~45k. This means that I will keep the RS as my daily and get rid of the van and other truck, still leaving me with 4 vehicles, but I get to keep the RS. The main selling point to me on the Lightning is all of the power potential. I mentioned the 10 acres where my hogs are -- there is no power out there, so the lightning could potentially provide lights/power/etc at a much better output than the Raptor when used out on my lot.

I'm not an animal and I have a leather seat requirement on a new truck, so I will have to get a more expensive model of the Lightning, but I think the 45-50k range is reasonable and much less expensive than a Raptor. That being said, I'm used to driving a gas vehicle and would have to add infrastructure (for sure possible) for an electric vehicle.

So, like it sounds like, I have 2 truck allocations for 2022 and I am having a real tough time deciding! Anyone want to give me their opinion :)

Thanks!
BrettRS

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just wanted to out that a Raptor, and any F150 really, can be equipped with the power pack, meaning that the electrical outlets in the back be used as a generator of sorts. Obviously, with the Raptor and other F150s, the engine needs to be running. You can get the powerboost, where the engine will only run when the battery is out of juice.

Personally, I would not get a Raptor if I wanted to use it to haul pigs. Certainly not a Raptor R either. Any F150 4WD should be more than enough for your offroad needs, if the Mazda is currently serving that purpose. Get a Raptor if you want it for offraod fun, or just want to own one. Lightning may make more sense for the generator option, but again, any new F150 will work, hybrid maybe being the best of both worlds.

I would avoid the Lightning if you want to use it to haul a lot of weight over a long distance, or use on long trips in general.

JJP023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raptor R is not slated for 2022. We will be lucky if we see an announcement in mid/end of 2022 about the release of an R. Its coming, but we are a wayzzz away from seeing it. If so, its not opening up to the general public. Raptor allocations are already slim but the R is going to have a Ford GT/ GT 500 style release where it will have priority ordering. This is all hearsay but I am confident this is what will occur.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like the Lightning makes the most sense. --- And your rich buddy isn't rich if he can't get married, buy a house, and buy a new car all in the same year.

Stojanowski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think 22 allocations are as bad as last year. My dealer has one I'm thinking of taking but need to find something to hold me over in the mean time.

Another dealer I talked to said they get allocations weekly