Validation for 5k Oil Change Intervals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Old-Raptor-guy not calling you out, but just for clarification pictures 1-5 you posted are of a 5.0L instead of a 2.7.

-Joe
Fair enough I could not remember what engine, the pictures are a couple months old.

The oil recommendation from FOMOCO is 5w-20 which just proves my point more. 5w-20 is the worst.

Reminding me that it is a 5.0 reminded me of the vehicle. 2014 f150, with only 69709 miles. Lost compression due to worn intake valves. The intake valves are softer than the seats and and wear to the point they recess into the cylinder head, at that point the valve can't close all the way (because all the clearance has been removed even on the cam base circle the valve is being pushed open slightly) this isn't necessarily an oil related issue but we do see it more/sooner in dirty conditions with poor air filtration

I am telling you the 5w-20 breaks down fast.

The inside of that engine looks horrible for such low miles.

@Nex keep using the T6 it is an excellent oil. The only reason I don't now is I now run/co-own a repair shop with fast lube lanes. I have a wholesale contract with Mobil one distributor for 4 more years. Makes it cheaper for me and I can change it once a week if I like (raptor has been mine for 11ish months and 10,200 miles, changed oil 4 times so far)

Last edited:

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Old-Raptor-guy, any thoughts on the T6 having API CK-4 (I think) vs. recommended API SN plus or SP? I'm not a chemist/engineer and generally always passed on the oil recommendation of my machinists (usually 5w-40s of one make or another). However this is an OE long block most here are running.

Reason I ask is I was to the understanding the Ecoboosts were prone to low RPM blow by causing pre ignition issues... hence the "plus" SN/SP (whatever) rec. Again, a bit above my level of education, but learning.
So if you look many diesel oils now have both C (compression) and S (spark) ratings.

How they are doing this is by riding the limit of zinc in the oil.

The EPA says that S rated oil can have no more than X amount of zinc. It is a known anti-wear additive. Prior to roller lifters oil had a lot of zinc.

There was never a "solid lifter break in oil" prior to the removal of zinc (google high zinc break in oil).

Well C rated (diesel ) oil can have more zinc, but not less than Y. There is a very very narrow window in which X and Y over lap and manufacturers that are dual rating their oil are riding that very narrow window.

The EPA believes that zinc will ruin catalytic converters. The studies I have seen have shown it to be inconclusive. Here is why.

Lead in fuel does damage cats no issue, lead in fuel is used in the combustion chamber.

Zinc would have to get into the combustion chamber. Non of my vehicles use a measurable amount of oil so no zinc is being consumed in the combustion process. Since zinc reduces wear the idea is to keep it like that.

The studies I have seen basically said just that. That zinc cam damage a cat converter but that it is normally on higher mileage engines with increased wear allowing zinc into the combustion chamber. If you can prevent the wear, which zinc does you can prevent catalytic converter damage.

There is no way our ecoboost engine make more soot than a diesel engine. Sure new diesels don't smoke out the tail pipe but their is still a ton of soot it just doesn't make out.

So I have hard time with an oil that is good for turbo diesel making tons more power and especially torque not being okay for our use. Cranks, rods, cams, blocks and especially bearing all made of the same metals. So it isn't a metallurgy thing.

Lastly I believe both Ford and Chevy came out a few years ago (2017-18) and said that the duel C/S rated oil were not approved for their diesels as it was a technicality in the rules based on zinc parts per million that the oil was allowed to exist. That oil truly ment for diesel usage should have much more zinc than S rated oil.

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Schaeffers, yeah it is expensive, but from the demos I've seen it's worth the extra peace of mind.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What brand for the 7.3 then? And it never gets below 50F in the Seattle area. Or is it never gets above 50F? I can't remember, numbers hard.

I am currently running Amsoil SS 5w-30 in the Raptor. Both trucks are on a 5k oil change interval.
When I was looking at moving out there, mean temps were 45-65 w/s. Love Vashion Island and surrounding area. Politics kept me away though as I could not bring half my hardware without "aggressively" reorganizing the gov't. Country is utterly beautiful though!