Validation for 5k Oil Change Intervals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Now, lets look at a couple other things. The Ford GT had a 3.5 eco-boost, pretty much no parts are the same, but all oil clearances are the same. "recommended" oil 5w-50, Ford mustang GT500 nothing eco-boost about this engine but all the oil clearneces are the same, "recommended" oil 5W-50. hmmmm why so you think that is? Well both cars are expected to go to the track and if so will create a ton of heat and seriously lighter oil can not handle heat that well.
Also the Ford GT use same part number for cam phasers and phaser solenoids as the EB HO. Me leaving work on the way home is like tracking my truck everyday in 115 deg heat . Motul 5w50 going in, 1000 more miles till next oil change .

Even Roush Says 5w50 with there Performance Pac

1686916981438.png

OIL weights have more to do with Corporate CAFE fuel economy numbers and 5w30 is the minimum viscosity required .

1686926595041.png1686926641600.png

Last edited:

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, 5-50 oil viscosity. I wonder if Ford can void a warranty for using that.
Prob, manual calls for 0w/5w-30 only.
i ran 0w-40 for a bit, may go back to it, but just not sure how the extra viscosity may hurt getting oil to certain areas, bearings, journals at our operating temps. Trackhawk calls for 0w-40 but the oil runs a decent bit hotter than ours, wonder if ours running a decent bit cooler makes the -40 much more viscous and can hurt.

Wonder what oil temp the ford gts 3.5 runs at for the 5w-50 oil

Drgonzo3000

Reaction score
Ford using 5w20 is simple, it's for the added fuel economy, not to promote engine life. The shellacking and Oil crust you see in these engines, is from the use of a lower viscosity oil breaking down in the heat and extended oil change intervals.

Simple fact, you want to promote engine life, change your oil more often (3-5k miles). Brand of oil is really preference (outside of store brand/walmart oils), Some have more detergents (T6), zinc, molybd which helps some, but not over extending the interval is key.

Want to know when to change the oil, send a sample to Blackstone at 3k intervals and they will tell you using "Science".

Like ORG sad the 5w40 will last longer as it has higher thermal properties and will not break down as fast as the Ford recommended 5w20. You will probably see a 1-2mpg fuel economy loss though. You compare a 5w20 to a 5w40, same mileage and I can guarantee at like 5k miles that 5w20 TBN is like 0.5.

My other twin turbo car "Full Custom Build" I run full syth 5w40 Pennzoil with Wix filters and only change the oil when blackstone tells me. As the mileage increases on that motor I will probably swap out to T6 for the extra detergent but for now the Pennzoil is working fine.

My 2017 Raptor I just hit 80k on (bought at 40k) and will be swapping to T6 going forward. Ford has done the last couple oil changes on their dime due to other repairs. I'll start the Blackstone OAP cycle with this truck also at 5k intervals.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford using 5w20 is simple, it's for the added fuel economy, not to promote engine life. The shellacking and Oil crust you see in these engines, is from the use of a lower viscosity oil breaking down in the heat and extended oil change intervals.

Simple fact, you want to promote engine life, change your oil more often (3-5k miles). Brand of oil is really preference (outside of store brand/walmart oils), Some have more detergents (T6), zinc, molybd which helps some, but not over extending the interval is key.

Want to know when to change the oil, send a sample to Blackstone at 3k intervals and they will tell you using "Science".

Like ORG sad the 5w40 will last longer as it has higher thermal properties and will not break down as fast as the Ford recommended 5w20. You will probably see a 1-2mpg fuel economy loss though. You compare a 5w20 to a 5w40, same mileage and I can guarantee at like 5k miles that 5w20 TBN is like 0.5.

My other twin turbo car "Full Custom Build" I run full syth 5w40 Pennzoil with Wix filters and only change the oil when blackstone tells me. As the mileage increases on that motor I will probably swap out to T6 for the extra detergent but for now the Pennzoil is working fine.

My 2017 Raptor I just hit 80k on (bought at 40k) and will be swapping to T6 going forward. Ford has done the last couple oil changes on their dime due to other repairs. I'll start the Blackstone OAP cycle with this truck also at 5k intervals.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I don’t see much economics in oil analysis for autos. What’s an oil change cost, 50 bucks. Change oil every5k miles you have a 100 bucks in 10k miles. Use oil analysis and go 10k miles, you have 50 bucks for one change plus 45 for the analysis. Saving 5 bucks every 10k miles? not worth it.
Oil analysis programs are great for equipment that cause a financial loss from downtime. Keeping the oil clean and fresh will do more to keep your engine in great shape than extended drains with analysis in passenger cars.
Blackstone is great, but they justify their service based on extended change intervals. They have more than enough data to tell you to change your oil every 5k miles and you won’t have an oil related problem and extending the interval increases risk of oil related failures. I guess one could also use the more environmentally friendly reasoning to extend oil changes.
Clean oil matters!

OP
OP
nikhsub1

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I mean, I did the blackstone analysis once, just to make sure there was no funky shit going on. I may do it again at some point many miles later, again just to see. Oil change costs me about $100 each time, I use the ford performance racing filter which is around $20 or so. Maybe pointless, but it's fuckinghuge so I'm sticking with it, plus I only change oil twice a year since I average about 8k/year.