UPP Twin Turbo Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CK@UPP

Reaction score
Updates

Hey guys, just wanted to stop in for an update session. I know a lot of you are anticipating this kit, and believe me, we are working on it! But before we fully release it, we want to make sure everything is right, and everything is "Raptor Tuff". It has fully been brought to my attention that you Raptor owners are not like any other customer base we have. The abuse suffered under "normal operation" is nothing like I've ever seen before. Before we hand over a product, we want to make sure it is up to par with the floggings you will be delivering to it!

Thankfully Danny and the team over at TMX have been happy to be a part of our design process as we put the finishing touches to this, and test it under the extreme conditions it will be a custom to.

Just to give you a little insight, we've put a tremendous amount of effort, R&D, and design into this project as a whole. No part has been left untouched, and every piece we constantly look to improve.

Our flanges start off as a one piece billet, CAD designed and 4 axis CNC machined, with integrated port matching (one side perfectly mates to the head, the other to the tubing). No two dimensional plasma/water jetting here!

attachment.php

Our manifolds are made of thick .109 wall 304 Stainless Steel, tig welded, in house, by hand by our expert craftsmen. Complete with full back purging. This not only ensures beautiful welds, but longevity over time as the weld is not contaminated from the inside. Compare this to the thin .045 or .065 wall that others use. Generally acceptable for header material, but not for turbo manifolds, and REALLY not for "Raptor Tuff" turbo manifolds.

elbow-thickVSthin.jpg

10151394_527926640661845_248444536_n.jpg

1979580_527927043995138_4833120_n.jpg

Our collectors are TRUE collectors, complete with finish porting. Not formed collectors with 4 tubes jammed into them.

1208370_1382232665360517_914128938_n.jpg

d1fafa607e2411e3a91412128f76ceb1_8.jpg

NOT

large31522HKR.jpg

Initially we were going to include our standard UPP 5871 (58mm, journal bearing) turbo.

1795599_510923659028810_1769808517_n.jpg

It's small in size yet packs 1100hp capability. And on these engines it SPOOLS!!! Actually, it may spool a little too early. Based off the size of the truck and the corresponding load, we were seeing spooling happen at 1800RPMs. Generally a good thing, this may however prove to be unstable on this platform. Because it's spooling so soon, it may be causing compressor surge as at such a low RPM the engine can't consume that much airflow. (we're still testing on this, because of the complexity of the tuning system it may have actually been tune related, not turbo related).

So for the time being we've upped the TMX truck to our UPP 6182R ball bearing line. These are 62mm beasts, capable of 1400hp, and ball bearing!

858286_330003933787451_1621360856_o.jpg

After the install TMX questioned now that it's functional, could we make it look even better. So we stepped up our game starting with a better, bigger, and higher quality intercooler. Currently we are building them in-house until we can get a production run made where they will all be pre-polished.

1909279_529465057174670_2073574896_o.jpg

981630_657369480965444_5933036215854253940_o.jpg

We also stepped up our game to now include TurboSmart wastegates and BOV's.

TS-0505-1010.jpg

TS-0204-1102.jpg

For fueling we set you right with BIG injectors right out of the gate. ID1000 equivalents made by Fuel Injector Connection (FIC) deliver 1000cc worth of fuel each. Plenty if you're planning on turning up the boost, or running E85.

Tuning is where we ran into a bit of trouble on. Because the tuning platform is so complex, it took a bit to get a tuner who was able to handle the challenge. Not just WOT power, but actual drive-ability as well. This is still something that's in the works. We were able to find a local tuner in TX who did an amazing job on the TMX raptor, but don't yet feel comfortable with "cookie-cutter" tuning option of just copy/pasting it into a hand held tuner. Because of this we are going to be initially offering this kit exclusively through TMX! They will have the capability to install, and tune with the local tuner. TMX is also looking into other tuning solutions as an option and may eventually release something different (mail order tune from well known tuner).

TRR

As many of you know TMX had a chance to run our kit at last weeks TRR event. And with overall good results. There was a bit of a fire, but the TMX crew was able to eliminate it without any real issue. As soon as I heard of the fire, I was on a plane to TX to see the results/cause.

The main cause of the fire was a compound issue on the passenger side. A previously cracked dipstick tube along with the added boost pressure led to crank case pressures causing an oil leak (spray) from the tube directly onto the hot manifolds. Also one of the up-pipes was too close to a suspension fitting (aftermarket suspension) that was on the vehicle. It's more than 3/4" away, but with the beating these trucks see, there is more than enough play room in the factory rubber motor mounts. This allowed the up-pipe to contact the suspension fitting, rubbing a hole (which also contained oil at 200psi).

Both of these led to the fire in his engine bay. Luckily the fire was limited to a little bit of wiring, which I was able to repair while I was in TX, and the truck is again up and running.

The dipstick is obviously getting replaced, and we are looking for a lower profile fitting for the suspension to maintain plenty of clearance.

This also led us to see that we have too much of a heat buildup on the drivers side in the brake system/ reservoir. TMX noticed brake fade, as well as slight melting of the reservoir. We are in the process of remedying this with heat shields as this is being posted. Also the kit was originally designed with turbo blankets, but being on back order we were not able to get them to TMX before the run.

All of this is allowing us to see where we can improve the kit before it's finally released to the public, as a finished, flawless product.

I believe we are in the final stages now, and we should be getting close. However after we make the necessary changes and remedies we want to make sure there is sufficient "test" time with the kit as TMX puts the abuse down making sure it is in fact "Raptor Tuff".

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And this is why I did not go the helion route and was looking at the whipple. Now with you guys actually spending the time to r&d a proper tt offroad worthy setup I am seriously thinkibg of pulling my LT's and going with this kit when its released. I would definitly say the ball bearing turbos are worth the little extra cost in the long run. Might also consider a proper thermal coating on the hot side in addition to the blankets as an option.

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

Have you guys considered Swain Tech White Lightning coating on the Hot side piping and turbo?

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would venture say to say a kit of this caliber is going to be ~10K when it's all said and done?

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Finally a vendor who isn't afraid to air some of the dirty laundry and is telling us why it hasn't been released along with updates on what they are fixing to make it perfect. Kudos to you guys! I'm definitely excited to see how this pans out and how much power these trucks can take!

OP
OP
TEXAS MOTORWORX

TEXAS MOTORWORX

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I also want to add that other than this having two turbos, it is nothing like any other kit on the market. Here is what we have designed and built guys: a forced induction system that provides an out of the box 300hp gain over stock, with stock internals, extreme durability, protection from offroad perils, a gravity drain oil system (no pump to get ripped off), upgradability to over 1000hp, the ability to run two levels of boost (one off-road low boost to limit slip and one high boost for street) and the MOST IMPORTANT THING is that it was designed by a true Raptor specific company (TMX) and built by a true turbo specific company (Under Pressure Performance). Nothing on the market is like this guys.

On a related note, I am putting together a post to detail driveability so far, and what it was like driving this truck at TRR this past weekend.

Texas Motorworx
214-814-0869
[email protected]

keatonskidmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That has to be the best vendor reply ever. Most honest explanation for sure. It shows that you guys really care about having y'alls product 100% bug proof before releasing it. Thanks for sharing the photos and information..really shows y'all go the extra mile and then some!

TiFJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disappointed to hear that it will be a TMX install only. Hopefully you will come up with a workaround for the tune for those of us who are interested but not local.

Great to hear about the issues, what lead to them and how you are fixing them. Great info!

OP
OP
TEXAS MOTORWORX

TEXAS MOTORWORX

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It is a kit, but a very complicated one. To get the protection of a top mount turbo, the pipes have to be routed a certain way. The result is a difficult install. Although the kit will be mass produced, it doesn't make the install any easier. That is why we are installing the kit and standing behind it.

Texas Motorworx
214-814-0869
[email protected]