Think I lost a turbo. Upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So did the impellers on both turbos contact the housing? Or were the impellers damaged due to foreign debris/over speed? If both bearings failed, that’s a clear indication of a lubrication issue. As far as cam phasers, they do not release metal into the oil when the locking mechanism fails, they simply make noise.

If the bearings were fine (misdiagnosis is common - turbo journal bearings normally have play when they’re not pressurized by oil) and only the impellers were damaged, that indicates ingestion of foreign debris or turbo over speed. Either way, root cause of the failure needs to be determined or the new turbos will meet the same fate. Also make sure your mechanic changed the oil filters in the turbo feed lines, that’s a common cause of repeat failure after replacement.
Yes, the outer edges of the fins made contact with the housing thus bending them. I have pics but wont be able to post them until later. It doesnt look like any debris got in there but I want yall to see the pics when I post them and give feedback. The guy at the shop believes that the bearings failed causing them to wobble thus making contact. One turbo failing then the other working overtime until it also broke. He did also mention an oil issue being the culprit, but I don't see how if I change the oil every 5k and never let it get low. I mentioned the screens in the tube lines and he knew to change those too. Sure would like to pinpoint the culprit; I'm really worried about repeat failure or even worse engine trouble.

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I wanted to give it a few days to be sure, but since I've had the two turbos replaced I have not been hearing the "transmission whine" that had been present for the last couple years: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/noticing-a-slight-transmission-whine-now.85907/

I think the first turbo failure happened a long time ago and the other one had been working extra duty until it failed too. Looking back the truck has been down on power, but it also coincides with the period of time which I had to switch to regular unleaded fuel; so I've attributed the power loss to using lower octane. Also, thinking back around then, there was an instance where I was under full throttle and fully loaded down with cargo trying to merge back onto a busy highway when the truck suddenly lost power momentarily. At the time I attributed it to bouncing off the rev limiter (paddle shifting manually) but it surprised me because I didn't think I went that high. Hmmm wondering if that was the moment the first turbo went. Sad because I would have been under warranty back then. That was around 55k and its at 92k now. If it really played out like that...BIG IF...then I'd be impressed with the little engine going 37k miles on only one turbo...pulling trailers, hauling firewood etc. On the flip side though its a shame to lose a turbo within the first 55 thousand miles. Who knows if it went down like that I'm just putting clues together.

As far as noises, leading up to the most recent turbo failure I hadn't noticed anything in particular but the engine bay was a little busy sounding...kinda like what you'd expect of a high mileage vehicle. LOL...in my own defense I do have a little trouble hearing. But it really hit me how quiet my truck is since I've got it back from the shop.

Here's pics of the impeller:

Attachments

• IMG_4056.jpg
    IMG_4056.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4081.JPEG
    IMG_4081.JPEG
    95.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4051.jpg
    IMG_4051.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4054.jpg