Noticing a slight transmission whine now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know the whine/whirl noise our transmissions make when driving in reverse?...I've started noticing my truck making that noise going forward in drive. Its not very loud and it clears up after a couple of minutes. Not sure if its normal and I'm just noticing after almost 3 years, or something I should suspect of being a developing issue. Anyone have some insight?

LeadFootLarry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 20 whines in all gear selector positions, it’s apparently characteristic of the 10R80, according to Ford..

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Do you know the whine/whirl noise our transmissions make when driving in reverse?...I've started noticing my truck making that noise going forward in drive. Its not very loud and it clears up after a couple of minutes
Is this when the transmission is cold?
My 20 whines in all gear selector positions, it’s apparently characteristic of the 10R80, according to Ford..
I’ve found that if I loosen the bindings on my wife, the whining gets much quieter and I can just turn up the stereo.

That doesn’t sound right to me (about the noise being characteristic).

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's normal; the transmission fluid pump uses an offset gear drive. Meaning it's a helical gear drive like a manual transmission, hence the whine. Previous/conventional applications used a pump driven directly by the torque converter with no gear.

moodster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, mine does it on my 2019 with 58000 miles on it and has gotten louder with miles accumulated.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's normal; the transmission fluid pump uses an offset gear drive. Meaning it's a helical gear drive like a manual transmission, hence the whine. Previous/conventional applications used a pump driven directly by the torque converter with no gear.

Did not know that.. thanks.

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know its normal and to be expected. I didnt think it sounded like a problem but thought it would be worth asking.

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Revisiting this since a few months have passed. The whine has recently gotten louder, and I hear it on most days. Now I'll hear it even after the drivetrain has warmed up...and during all driving conditions. occasionally I'll hear it going down the highway while driving up a hill.