GEN 1 Update: Broken Plug ... Isn't Broken

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Changing plugs in my new 2014 Raptor (107k miles) that I got a month ago and discovered the top plug on cylinder 8 is broken off. Apparently the previous owner twisted the top half of the plug off and put the coil back in and left it that way. It appears to have been like this for a while from the amount of corrosion inside the boot (see boot pics). As for the remaining portion of the plug still in the hole, the center porcelain seems to still be there.

How screwed am I? A spark plug extractor exists, right? But can the center porcelain be drilled out? This one is way in the back on cylinder 8 under the windshield. You can't see it without a camera. This fix is way over my head - Where should I go to get this addressed - Dealer? I'm located on the southeast side of Nashville if anyone knows a good service dept. in this area who could handle this.

I haven't started on the lower plugs yet - Question: Should I be spraying penetrating oil on the plugs if there if there's this much risk of them breaking off in the head?

On a good note - This is maybe another reason the 6.2L is a bulletproof engine, it runs normally (for the most part) with one of the cylinders on only one plug (the lower in this case).

By the way Ford-->Put some dang anti-seize on your spark plugs!

IMG_6045.PNG
IMG_6044.PNG
IMG_6043.PNG
IMG_6042.PNG

Last edited:

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like you got the plug out. Don't think you should use anti seize on spark plugs.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did just the top contact of the plug break off in the boot?
Doesn't look like there is any hex left on the body of the plug?
If that is the case, I would try something along the lines of an extractor like this,

image.png
May just take a little searching to find the right one that fits and works.
I know that there are LOTS of tools and kits for the 3 valve motors, but I think most of those are more for the tubular tin extensions that stay in the head after the porcelain and hex bodies of the plugs come out.
Good luck with the fix.
Enjoy the truck !!!

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
So sorry you're dealing with this! I would do as suggested above and try to clean out that area around the plug if there is the hex left you stand a good chance of getting this out. Engine must be warm before you try to extract the plug.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cookie_Monster
Reaction score
Did just the top contact of the plug break off in the boot?
Doesn't look like there is any hex left on the body of the plug?
If that is the case, I would try something along the lines of an extractor like this,

May just take a little searching to find the right one that fits and works.
I know that there are LOTS of tools and kits for the 3 valve motors, but I think most of those are more for the tubular tin extensions that stay in the head after the porcelain and hex bodies of the plugs come out.
Good luck with the fix.
Enjoy the truck !!!

The top of the plug is gone. Apparently broken off by someone before I got it and the boot put back on place. The tool you showed is interesting, but if the plug is seized tight enough that the outer hex part twisted off, there's no way that little center section is going to get enough grip. You can't actually see in the hole - I had to get my camera in there to see what's going on. I'd estimate that center metal section is sticking up about 5mm.

Hopefully there is some tool that exists that can get this out without pulling the head.

OP
OP
Cookie_Monster
Reaction score
So sorry you're dealing with this! I would do as suggested above and try to clean out that area around the plug if there is the hex left you stand a good chance of getting this out. Engine must be warm before you try to extract the plug and I would check your oil for gasoline in it as the plug not firing may have washed down that cylinder.
Thanks - The entire upper half of the plug is gone, so there is no hex. That little center metal section is sticking up maybe 5mm. It seems the second plug on that cylinder is still working OK. The truck runs fine except for random stalls - which may or not be related.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it was my truck I'd take it to the Ford dealership. They have experience, training and tools that exceed anything most owners can equal, and they probably know just what to do and how to do it. Save yourself some serious grief, and don't risk making a bad situation worse.

Question: Do you have the means to contact the previous owner?

OP
OP
Cookie_Monster
Reaction score
Question: Do you have the means to contact the previous owner?
I do have his name on the title transfer papers. He sold it / traded it to a large Dodge dealership and then it was sold to 2 other used car dealers before I bought it. There was about 1 year duration at the dealers between when he sold/traded it and when I bought it. Along the way, there's a 'vehicle serviced' listed on the Carfax, so there's no telling when this might have happened.