Underbody Surface Rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sean1968

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys had me worried about rust on my raptor but mine is pretty clean. Just got it today

f5e832dd54787be599537498f1a1ba5a.jpgIMG_9531.jpgIMG_9532.jpgIMG_9533.jpgIMG_9534.jpgIMG_9535.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SD1290

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's so cool to install rusted parts on a brand new 75K vehicles. And don't complain or you will be banned from the internet for bashing "Ford Quality Job 1."

Don't worry new Raptor owners, rust is the new paint, it's normal. Raptor trucks are built like bridges. Ford installs rusted parts to protect the surface and save the planet from evil paint. Who cares if you buy a brand new truck and it drips rust on your garage floor and driveway. Who cares if you have to PB blast or cut ever bolt to work on your brand new truck. What do you expect for a measly 75K, painted parts?

Here's some photos of a 2016 Lariat 502A 62K sticker I bought in 2016 with 15 miles on the odometer. I bought this truck new and returned it due to excessive rust. Note: Other trucks at the dealer looked just like mine. Luckily Ford took it back.

I checked my 18 Raptor for rust and it was minimum, but my dash was scratched and they refused to fix it. They also refused to fix leather steering wheel leather coming unglued and it's visible, my center console was crooked from the factory (dealer scratched my carbon fiber fixing it), my headlight trim on drivers side was popped out and not flush. I fixed the console with washers and popped it back in place and my truck has several paint nibs. So if you ask me, Ford quality sucks. I would of returned this truck as well, but I bought it 1000 miles from home in Minnesota and no local dealers would fix it. Too bad cause I really like the truck besides all the defects.

So anyone who wants a 18 loaded Raptor with a scratch on the dash and 2500 miles, sticker 71K, selling for 65K, let me know.

View attachment 117696

View attachment 117697

View attachment 117698

View attachment 117699

View attachment 117700

You still going to get a 2019? My girlfriend has almost the exact same 2018 raptor that I have so I’ve been able to compare the two of them in depth. There is definite differences in quality between them. My next Raptor I will be taking a minimum of 2 hours to fully inspect the truck before i buy it.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_9531.jpg Sean, Now thats how a new Raptor should look underneath. Looks like Ford sprayed the rear axle and some other parts with undercoat and/or paint. I wonder if theyre just doing that for the 2019's? Did you have the dealer undercoat your truck or is this how it looked straight from the Factory? Definetly in better condition than many new 2017 and 2018 Raptor undercarriages. Maybe Ford read this post?

For those with rust, Ford would not be selling Raptors that sat in flood waters last year would they?

Last edited:

sean1968

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 117838 Sean, Now thats how a new Raptor should look underneath. Looks like Ford sprayed the rear axle and some other parts with undercoat and/or paint. I wonder if theyre just doing that for the 2019's? Did you have the dealer undercoat your truck or is this how it looked straight from the Factory? Definetly in better condition than many new 2017 and 2018 Raptor undercarriages. Maybe Ford read this post?

For those with rust, Ford would not be selling Raptors that sat in flood waters last year would they?
That’s exactly how it came off the truck no additional undercoating or paint. I ordered some Amsoil MPHD tonight so I’m going to apply it liberally. Seems like a cosmoline type product like the stuff Mercedes and BMW uses to protect cars prior to shipment via boat to the US. Should protect the undercarriage for the life of the truck with no need to reapply and it’s like a see through waxy coating. I ordered Fluidfilm also just in case but don’t like the idea of having to reapply it and some say dirt sticks to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ShadowViper

Reaction score
Was at a dealership yesterday, here in SoCal. They had a 2019 that came in earlier in the week (already sold) that looked like it was coated like Sean's pics but still had visible rust on the rear axle and differential cover. Said something to the sales guy and he was shocked because they had just finished prepping it. Crazy to think these are coming straight from the factory rusted, making me think to order outside winter months to hopefully avoid this issue.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the rust on the rear axles is a Supplier issue? Rear Axles already rusted when Ford gets them at their factory for Final Assembly? Definetely a quality issue that Ford needs to resolve.

I'm going to be doing an oil change on my early 2017 soon and will take pics. It was a 2017 New Car Show truck in Tri Cities, TN. Its been in Las Vegas since, no off roading yet.

Last edited:

Champ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't really look under mine when I got it as Ford isn't going to do anything about it anyways (it is what it is). I picked mine up on Wednesday afternoon and it got Krown rust proofed the next morning before we got all our snow. I'll get it krowned again in the spring as well.