Underbody Surface Rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WRT the rear axle, my rear axle had paint missing in several places when new. I didn't put much thought into it and figured this was POR for Ford. If the consensus is otherwise, I'll be prepping and painting mine in the next month or two. Fortunately, I don't have to deal with deicing corrosives.

KODIAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is definitely disappointing. However, I'm not surprised... yes, its a $70k truck, but its based on a $30k truck. This is my first American made vehicle in a long time, and I was hoping this type of headache was resolved long ago, but apparently Ford is still trying to upsell "undercoating" at checkout.

Toyota has had to replace thousands of frames for rusting through. Rust isn't an American made vehicle problem. It's an every vehicle problem in the rust belt.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Toyota has had to replace thousands of frames for rusting through. Rust isn't an American made vehicle problem. It's an every vehicle problem in the rust belt.

The owners manual still recommendeds not applying aftermarket rustproofing that could "cause problems for factory anticorrosion treatments". But it sounds like it is still needed. I tried to have my Raptor rustroofed before picking it up in Tennessee but the Dealer wouldn't do it because "it would devalue the truck by getting all over the high performance suspension parts". Yea, anyway I just wanted to get out of there and on the road to Las Vegas so I didn't push it. Too much drama!

When I lived in Hawaii with the corrosive salt air I used to have Industrial Rustproofing like they put on city garbage and fire trucks applied to every new vehicle. It can make a sticky mess under the vehicle and around the engine compartment but it works and it eventually dries out in a couple weeks. Its not an issue to devalue the vehicle unless you have a Show vehicle. I still might do the Raptor depending how it looks under there now.

Last edited:

Dirtypope

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you buy a truck first thing what you need to do is to invest in undercoating. The full application is usually around $500 (Chicago) and the undercoating places offer annual inspection every year and warranty for 10 years.. don’t wait and do it ASAP!!

Higgs Boson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like normal cosmetic oxidation to iron parts like front halfshafts and ujoints. I don't see any pics of rusted, flaking frames.

my raptor has looked the same as some of those pics since day 1, I noticed it looks just like my denalis and wranglers did as well.....not concerned about it.

sure it looks ugly but it won't affect the function. of course, if you aren't married, don't have any kids, and the raptor is your only vehicle then I get it, you have nothing else to worry about.

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a few pics under my truck it only has 1400 miles on it after about 4-5 months has been thru one rain storm seem to be pretty nice under the truck I'll just get under there from time to time and shoot the bad spots with pore1d222b069c7c73d02b24235085cc8b1.jpg813eed5bf7ab019a22e69ae2f0fd2ae8.jpg4f912c1648e82cbb8700f5b08496c29f.jpgb24523051719c51e8b3d108bf2113729.jpg54c8fe71f557b657b081206e3a915647.jpg

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its odd that some Raptors have rear axles that look like they are bare unpainted metal and others like this are painted / undercoated. Manufacturing Process Variation.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those who have Raptors with bare metal / rusting rear axles do you have the 802A Pkg or Torsen Limited Slip Front Differential option?

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Was at a dealership yesterday, here in SoCal. They had a 2019 that came in earlier in the week (already sold) that looked like it was coated like Sean's pics but still had visible rust on the rear axle and differential cover. Said something to the sales guy and he was shocked because they had just finished prepping it. Crazy to think these are coming straight from the factory rusted, making me think to order outside winter months to hopefully avoid this issue.

I've seen some Camaros come through with a nice pre-corroded/rusted engine and undercarriage from new. It seems like they are getting salted while being transported for delivery. I had never thought about avoiding winter deliveries before I saw that.

Last edited: