Two Transfer Cases in 100 Miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
factive

factive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing with stock for now but getting a long(er) travel suspension in the next couple months. Not sure yet what I'll go with then. Guy doing the work races/builds trophy trucks so will probably go with his suggestion.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is there a way to protect the driveshaft from rock hits? Given that the factory driveshaft is aluminum, this would be something that serious off-roaders would be interested in.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Is there a way to protect the driveshaft from rock hits? Given that the factory driveshaft is aluminum, this would be something that serious off-roaders would be interested in.

Avoid driving over rocks.

There isn't a good way.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have seen "mudflaps" installed midway under the truck to stop rocks , etc, from making there way to the rear of the truck from the front tires.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have seen "mudflaps" installed midway under the truck to stop rocks , etc, from making there way to the rear of the truck from the front tires.

Hey, that gives me an idea! What about a mud flap installed at or near the front of the driveshaft with a slot in the middle for the shaft? The slot would be tall enough to allow for driveshaft up and down movement as it follows the rear axle. I'm thinking that it would be rather wide to provide good protection from rocks thrown or rolled by the front tires, and that it would need to be pretty stiff.

What do you think???

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I for one would love to see a picture of that dent for a size comparison scotch tape a dime next to it please!

This would help a lot of us just to know what size dent could cause that damaging vibration.

If you would please !

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I for one would love to see a picture of that dent for a size comparison scotch tape a dime next to it please!

This would help a lot of us just to know what size dent could cause that damaging vibration.

If you would please !

Great idea

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Replace the driveshaft! Get the Axle Exchange one from one of our vendors, Krazy House Customs or JDM both sell it!!!

May have the change out the brass bushing in the tail end of the transfer case as well, now that you've been driving with a dented up driveshaft.

This may be a silly question but I have to ask, did you change out both rear and front differentials to 4:88?

OP
OP
factive

factive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the driveshaft! Get the Axle Exchange one from one of our vendors, Krazy House Customs or JDM both sell it!!!

May have the change out the brass bushing in the tail end of the transfer case as well, now that you've been driving with a dented up driveshaft.

This may be a silly question but I have to ask, did you change out both rear and front differentials to 4:88?

Yes changed both and haven't used 4x4 since they were installed. I'm getting an upgraded driveshaft when I redo the rear suspension in Aug/Sept. For now it's going back to factory new. Quickest/cheapest way to get my truck back on the road for now.

Too late for pictures. I can tell you they are more like scrapes than dents. Long surface scrapes. Happened rock crawling in Moab. There was a couple of them and they were pretty long but figured since it drove home from Moab ok and continued to drive for thousands of miles it wold hold up. It's only been in the last 100 miles that both went out. Probably ruined bushings or seals that the other dealership never replaced. All they did was slap on a new transfer case and call it a day. Couldn't be bothered to look for the root cause. They also tried fixing my rear camera for a month and failed. Needless to say I wont go back there again.