Turn Down "whooshing" sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CougarKiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have went from a MBRP turndown with the stock resonator to a Spintech Pro Street 9000 (also with the stock resonator)

The MBRP had a beefy sound down low but would go to a whooshing sound in the upper RPMs .. I thought this might be a side effect of running a muffler designed to be run without the Resi in place.

So after breaking a baffle inside the muffler on a quick off roading trip (it developed a rattle inside the muffler) I decided to order a Spin Tech and give it a try... The Spintech sounds awesome, much more crisp and clean. However, when you open it up I still get the whooshing sound instead of a nice engine note. I am wondering if this is from the exhaust flow being exited from the turndown straight to the ground? Would turning the turndown to the side help? I really like the no tailpipe set up but am just not happy with the sound at the upper rev range. Other than that it sounds perfect with no drone.... Looking for options and if running a tailpipe out in front of the wheel will fix this I may go that route.

GotExhaust.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You are correct. Any time you use a "turn down" style exit, you will experience some level of raspiness. Some might describe it as a whooshing sound. Tail pipes tend to mellow the raw exhaust noise coming from the business end of a muffler. At high RPMs you have a relatively large amount of exhaust gasses leaving the muffler at a high velocity. This alone will add to the raw sound and whoosh you're describing.

In addition, with the MBRP turn down, the muffler uses a louvered core. What you're likely hearing is the exhaust gasses rapidly passing over and through those louvers which could also contribute to the whooshing sound.

I would recommend either going to a muffler with a perforated core (such as a Magnaflow) or adding some length of tailpipe if you aren't pleased with the sounds the 6.2L makes upon exhale.

OP
OP
C

CougarKiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great info, Thanks! ... It sounds perfect until about 4500rpms then the sounds starts to change .. I just want it to sound the same all the way to redline

I will throw a piece of flex tubing on there and do some testing! I thought about taking the resonator off to see if that was the issue but with the stock exhaust it made a nice note up top so I don't think that will fix my complaint