Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Tuning and cam phaser warranty

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by dragoon218, May 29, 2020.

1. dragoon218

dragoon218 Member

If I tune the truck and I get an issue with the cam phasers, will that be something they would still cover? That's really the only thing I am worried about before I tune. I know it will void the warranty. But not sure if this is something they would still cover as its a known issue. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

2. traxem

traxem Full Access Member

I doubt it’s covered. You’re essentially pushing the engine beyond its manufactured designed specs for reliability with a tune. Even if the phasers are known issue, there is an argument that you’re increasing its likelihood of failure.

3. xrocket21

xrocket21 FRF Addict

Depends on how the dealer feels that day

LeboRaptor and 10SpdsOfFury like this.
  4. nikhsub1

nikhsub1 FRF Addict

There is an SSM for the phaser issue. It’s bad part. Ford knows this. They will not deny a bad phaser claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LeboRaptor likes this.
  5. dsg2003mach1

dsg2003mach1 Full Access Member

You're always taking at least a small gamble but the this being such a well known and super common issue I'd be surprised if they tried to deny a phaser claim due to a tune. If my truck was already rattling I wouldn't tune it until it was fixed but I don't think the concern of it happening would keep me from tuning it.

6. Biggwrm

Biggwrm Full Access Member

Guess I can dig into the forums more, but are the phasers a 17 issue? What does it sound like?

I took delivery of mine Feb 18 as an 18 model and haven’t had the issue, that Im aware of. At idle standing next to front tire I hear what sounds like a rattling wastegate or exhaust tick. But assume normal.

7. nikhsub1

nikhsub1 FRF Addict

I suggest you read this thread: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/cam-phaser-engine-failure-reports.64826/

Your truck is in the affected range to potentially have this issue. The noise only happens at (usually) startup when cold for like, 1-5 seconds.

Biggwrm and Donmatteo like this.
  8. Biggwrm

Biggwrm Full Access Member

Oh just heard a video, yea I dont have that , luckily. Sounds like a diesel at startup. Fingers crossed. Tho I only have 9k on her.

9. FordTechOne

FordTechOne Full Access Member

Since the cam phaser noise concern is a documented issue, there is zero reason for the dealer to suspect that it's a tune induced issue, or to spend their time looking for a tune.

The only time a tune is generally suspected is when the concern is outside of the norm for a factory failure. This includes things like uncommon/tune indicative DTCs setting, powertrain component failure, factory parameters outside of specification, etc.

Kashoggio likes this.
  10. 1fst_gt350

1fst_gt350 Member

Depends on dealer. I had mine tuned prior to cam phaser replacement. Took out the tune brought it to my dealer they listen to it ordered parts and fixed it no questions asked

dragoon218 likes this.