Tuned Raptor VS TRX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ayoustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My opinion is that the market for raptor owns is a fair bit wider which makes it more appealing. The entry price is way more achievable for the average joe which I think is the big pain point for the trx.

They're both badass trucks in their own respects, but people will always want to compare because it helps them sleep at night if they have some rationale to stand on. It'd be wise for Ram to make a lower model trx because as it stands the gen 2 raptor and next gen 3.5L models stomp the rebel version into the ground no matter how you compare them. Kind of disappointing that the only hat GM is bothering to throw in the ring is the hummer :(

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The entry price is way more achievable for the average joe which I think is the big pain point for the trx.

Not for long! LOL

They're both badass trucks in their own respects, but people will always want to compare because it helps them sleep at night if they have some rationale to stand on. It'd be wise for Ram to make a lower model trx because as it stands the gen 2 raptor and next gen 3.5L models stomp the rebel version into the ground no matter how you compare them. Kind of disappointing that the only hat GM is bothering to throw in the ring is the hummer :(

Back when the TRX was vaporware, they also had a vaporware TR, which was a naturally aspirated V8 version. That was on my list to look at, but it didn't happen. But it could be introduced quickly whenever FCA wants to run it through the EPA testing. With the high curb weight and the drag of full-time AWD, it would be a thirsty little witch compared to the Raptor, but it would be slow.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Man that 6 speed with a tall first gear just kills that Gen 1

This brings up an interesting point/question. I wonder what makes the biggest difference between a gen 1 and gen 2? As in how much percentage-wise goes to: reduced weight, 10 speed vs 6 speed, and how much goes to the engine?

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This brings up an interesting point/question. I wonder what makes the biggest difference between a gen 1 and gen 2? As in how much percentage-wise goes to: reduced weight, 10 speed vs 6 speed, and how much goes to the engine?

I had forgot how tall that first gear is. It sounds like it could really use about a 4.30 gear.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had forgot how tall that first gear is. It sounds like it could really use about a 4.30 gear.

First gear is 4.17:1 in the 6 speed and 4.69:1 in the 10 speed. The instant torque that the supercharger is able to provide should have more than compensated for that difference. These supercharged "700HP" Gen 1's clearly aren't as fast as some people like to make them out to be. The stock Gen 2 walked all over it.

mchurch0211

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First gear is 4.17:1 in the 6 speed and 4.69:1 in the 10 speed. The instant torque that the supercharger is able to provide should have more than compensated for that difference. These supercharged "700HP" Gen 1's clearly aren't as fast as some people like to make them out to be. The stock Gen 2 walked all over it.
It’s true I now own both my gen 2 is faster than my jdm whipple gen 1 (700hp jdm kit ) I love both trucks and also the v8 rumble of my gen 1 but love the tech in my gen 2

JAndreF321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw this video last night...surprised the Gen2 Stage2 didn’t do better...was the bucking the trans tune or was it wheel hop from stock leafs? The front looks taller so I think he only did front springs to fit the 37s and kept the baby leafs.

Edit: also, they accidentally did the stock raptor in 2WD and it was faster than in 4HI...wondering with traction bars and 2WD how the tuned truck would have done. Either way the TRX is clearly faster...they tech is just way different so wondering about where advantages are.