Tune at altitude? E85?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tremek

Reaction score
All, I’m in the Denver area, and the ‘19 I just picked up is a dog.

Regular stumbles/knock retard (verified with some HPTuners datalogging), weird transmission shifts, and overall underwhelming performance.

The highest octane widely available gas we have here is 91. There’s also e85 nearby.

While we have less atmosphere up here, that also means on the whole we need less fuel to hit stoich.

Are there any good high altitude tunes people have used and like? How about e85 in these trucks? Thanks.

fur_pig

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Regular stumbles/knock retard (verified with some HPTuners datalogging), weird transmission shifts, and overall underwhelming performance.

The highest octane widely available gas we have here is 91. There’s also e85 nearby.

While we have less atmosphere up here, that also means on the whole we need less fuel to hit stoich.

Are there any good high altitude tunes people have used and like? How about e85 in these trucks? Thanks.
I'm in Reno/Tahoe, altitude of 5-6k feet. Cobb Stage 2 on 91 octane (I also can't get 93 locally) makes the truck feel how it should've.

Dustan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m in Boulder,CO and just did the Cobb stage 2. On 91 octane if I stomp on it. It will light the tires up on dry pavement. I agree that the Cobb tune makes it feel right.

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Knowing nothing about tunes, can someone tell me what all is involved? How much time does it take a shop to do (at least, I assume this isn't something I can do myself)? What is a typical price? Anything else "required" other than the tune? Is it possible (or necessary) to remove the tune when taking the Rap in for dealer maintenance/service?

If there's a thread that covers all this, feel free to point me in that direction. I did a quick search, but wasn't able to find anything.

Thanks!

OP
OP
T

Tremek

Reaction score
So I just got back my MPVI v2 HP Tuners package and it has no issue communicating with the truck.

Who does HP Tuners tunes for Raptors? I'm baffled at how everyone is using handhelds or canned nGauge tunes instead of dyno tunes or HPT/EFI Live like every other enthusiast community out there.

Both MPT and 5star both told me today they don't do HP Tuners tunes. Is there an actual tuning file difference between a hpt tune that goes on an nGauge versus something that's flashed via the HPT VCM Suite?

dubseven

Reaction score

Take it to the dealer, something isn't right with the truck. My 19 runs perfectly fine up here bone stock.

OP
OP
T

Tremek

Reaction score
Mine was a dog on the first tank of gas the dealer put in it (don't think it was 91) and even in Sport mode the factory tune isn't anything to write home about. Found a tuner that does email tunes for HP Tuners and so far the results are very positive, although IATs are still woefully bad.

I did a log on a highway pull a few weeks ago that hit 160 degrees. Ford undersized the intercooler on these trucks in a big way.

sIqoNd8.png

OP
OP
T

Tremek

Reaction score
@lxu - already have a tune on the truck from Brew City Boost and it's going well so far but do appreciate the note re: goosetuned.

Last week or a few weeks ago? I ordered one of the Mishimoto-knockoff eBay intercoolers and it just showed up... Now to figure out what additional hardware I'll need to get it on the truck. Hoping that will lower the IATs.