MPT tune recommendation needed...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a tuner and 3 tunes from MPT. I'm not exactly sure which 3 tunes I should select, though. I normally run 91 octane (it's definitely most readily available here), so I'm going to get the 91 PR-X tune for sure, and I'm also going to get the Performance Tow tune because I do tow sometimes, but I'm not sure what to select for the 3rd tune. I think my options are either the 93 PR-X, or an Adaptive Any Octane tune.

I can't see ever putting anything less than 91 in the truck (I'd really have to be in the middle of nowhere that has nothing resembling premium at that point), so I'm not sure I want to go with the Adaptive Octane tune. But, at the same point I don't see ever running the tank mostly dry and then filling up with 93 (which is what would be necessary to run the 93, as you aren't supposed to run the 93 tune with anything less than 93 octane). It almost seems like the 3rd tune won't really ever be used, and would just be a backup for a "what if" scenario. I guess the Adaptive Octane tune would be a good fail-safe, should I be forced to run 87 sometime. If I ever put 93 in, the 91 PR-X tune will work just fine with the higher octane. However, the 91 PR-X tune will NOT be happy if I am forced to put 87 in it...

Anyone have any additional thoughts? Thanks!

Frank R

Reaction score
I went with MPT also , we have 93 octane here in Michigan(sams club $2.34) I have the 93 pr-x with and with out trans tune, and my third was trans tune only because I can run it with 87 if I have to, the trans tune is the shiiit, I ran the 93 tune with out and it takes the truck a little longer to make up it mind, your milage will go down a little with trans tune because you are always going to be in the 1700 to 2000 rpm range cruising, 10 gear doesnt happen until over 55, with out trans tune Im in 10th gear cruising by 40. leave it in 4A and hang on, then you have sport mode, well I won't say anything, let you experience it yourself, go find a mustng , 392 charger or challenger to beat on. best upgrade ever. make sure you take it easy for the 1st couple drives to let it re-learn(as per MPT) then do a data log after a few hundred miles and send it to them to check so everything is ok, since all trucks run a little different, mine was fine and never looked back. going to install cooler thermostat next week from MPT also and they update your tune for free

OP
OP
Ski4Ever

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with MPT also , we have 93 octane here in Michigan(sams club $2.34) I have the 93 pr-x with and with out trans tune, and my third was trans tune only because I can run it with 87 if I have to, the trans tune is the shiiit, I ran the 93 tune with out and it takes the truck a little longer to make up it mind, your milage will go down a little with trans tune because you are always going to be in the 1700 to 2000 rpm range cruising, 10 gear doesnt happen until over 55, with out trans tune Im in 10th gear cruising by 40. leave it in 4A and hang on, then you have sport mode, well I won't say anything, let you experience it yourself, go find a mustng , 392 charger or challenger to beat on. best upgrade ever. make sure you take it easy for the 1st couple drives to let it re-learn(as per MPT) then do a data log after a few hundred miles and send it to them to check so everything is ok, since all trucks run a little different, mine was fine and never looked back. going to install cooler thermostat next week from MPT also and they update your tune for free
Hmm, you bring up a good point about the mileage difference between the trans-tune and the non trans tune. So now I'm wondering if I should do 91 Trans, 91 Non Trans, and Tow Performance...so many (good) options! haha

Frank R

Reaction score
what would you need tow performance for? you towing a jet ski or trailer? used the trans tune only for a few days while I got rid of the 87 in the tank and it pulled nice with the new shift points

OP
OP
Ski4Ever

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll be towing a toy hauler, probably in the 7000-7500lb range when fully loaded.

So now you just use the non trans tune all the time?

oskywawa

Reaction score
I have a possibly dumb question but i can't seem to find anywhere that addresses it. I ordered my MPT tunes yesterday so just waiting for the files to come back from MPT. Once the tunes are installed how to do actually switch between them? Do you select them on the screen of the Ngage or so they overwrite the built in "modes" in the truck so you can choose them on the fly while driving like you can do between sport mode, weather, etc? Also what happens if you toggle into those modes after you apply the Tunes? I'm super unclear on how to actually use them compared to how you switch between modes today on a Stock Raptor. I have a 2017 if that matters, thank you!

OP
OP
Ski4Ever

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a possibly dumb question but i can't seem to find anywhere that addresses it. I ordered my MPT tunes yesterday so just waiting for the files to come back from MPT. Once the tunes are installed how to do actually switch between them? Do you select them on the screen of the Ngage or so they overwrite the built in "modes" in the truck so you can choose them on the fly while driving like you can do between sport mode, weather, etc? Also what happens if you toggle into those modes after you apply the Tunes? I'm super unclear on how to actually use them compared to how you switch between modes today on a Stock Raptor. I have a 2017 if that matters, thank you!
I just ordered my MPT tunes yesterday also, so I'm also waiting for them to email me! Basically, from what I understand though, you will go into the nGauge, select Tuning, and then load the tune you want to load. It takes 5-8 mins or so, and then that tune will be loaded. If you want to switch to another tune, you have to stop the engine, and go through the same 5-8 minute process to load a different tune. It's similar to the process you used to backup your stock file onto the SD card to send it to them. Only instead of backing up the stock truck tune to the SD card, you are uploading a new tune file from the SD card into the truck

I'm not sure how the tunes affect each of the drive modes. On the MPT website, there is a section in the 93/91 PRX tunes that says the following:
"Sport Mode and Tow Haul mode retain most all of the positive features from Ford with minor tweaks to improve over all feel.

All driving modes drastically improve throttle response and feel, but click to Sport mode and this improvement is multiplied. Sport mode has a noticeable increase in throttle response above that of the already increased base mode. The PR-X tune is only available for premium fuels of 91 octane or better. We do not recommend 87 octane at all, but for those that tune the bare minimum allowed in the truck, you can use the Trans Only tune.

I'm still not exactly sure what that means. The website also says to definitely *NOT* tow with the PRX tunes, so I'm not sure why you would ever put it in the Tow Haul mode if running the PRX tune, or why they mention how Tow Haul mode is affected by the PRX tune.

oskywawa

Reaction score
Interesting, I wonder if these means that the tune essentially overwrites the "normal" mode, then any of the mode changes would just be modifications to that "normal". After reading what the PR-X 93 tune does though i can't imagine switching it the Sport would be a good thing to do! Would love to hear from anyone who has these already done on how it actually works, otherwise it looks like @Ski4Ever and I will need to keep this thread up to date as we learn!

Reaction score
I've had the 93 PRX tune in my '17 for about 2 months now since 93 is everywhere in Central FL. I Love it.

I discovered a unique issue where it wasn't downshifting when accelerating from cruising at 50mph sometimes. Im logging a couple of drives and then going to send the info to MPT for them to look at it and investigate but from everything I see online, it seems to be uncommon.

oskywawa

Reaction score
got my tunes loaded in yesterday, running the 93 PRX right now, it's like night and day compared to stock. Throttle response is greatly improved and you feel like the truck can jump in the air at any time (in a good way). Excited to have some more time this weekend to drive but so far so good.