Tune and warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nood1es

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with stating that Ford can tell you had "a tune installed" is misleading. Ford cannot tell WHAT tune you had if you return it to stock before they examine the problem. They CAN tell that the ECU was flashed - I believe it shows engine start counts. However, what is "a tune"? I have my truck that has "programming changes" for a 170F thermostat that I installed. It just commands the fans to turn on earlier at a lower temperature because I tow a boat here in Florida in the Summer heat. It also has the START/STOP switch always turned OFF so I dont have to push that ridiculous console button every time I get into it. So, what does "a tune" mean exactly? My point is, Ford cannot tell what type of tune or reprogramming was installed, only that the ECU Start count is very low (because something was erased and a stock program was uploaded). If my transmission is toasted, and they see the START counts on the ECU are very few, they can assume that it appears I reprogrammed the ECU. That IS a true statement. But, if the transmission lunches and it was NOT related to my tune (which they don't really know what my tune was), then they have to repair the truck. All I'm saying is they would have to have documented evidence proving that you modified the truck as an Owner, and most importantly that your mod caused the issue. And proving that is pretty hard to do when Ford doesn't have your "tune" to see what it actual did/does. On this Forum, there are a number of Raptor owners that have had issues with their stock trucks. It is important to understand that if and when you ever experience an issue, that you can poll the rest of us to see if we experienced that same problem. If we did, it's really hard for Ford to state your problem is unique and wiggle out of paying for the issue as long as the truck is under warranty.

And you know this how? Just asking.

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you really want to go up against Ford lawyers? I am 100% sure they have much deeper pockets than any of us.

It still comes down to a business decision for Ford. How much do they want to spend fighting you and still risk loosing.

As a former lemon law judge I can tell you the truth of the matter is that the auto manufacturer must prove that the modification is what caused the failure before they can get off the hook.

Poidog

Reaction score
I could be mistaken here with FORD as this will be my first Raptor, hell, my first FORD ever but, with warranty issues and modifications done to the vehicle, the burden of proof is on the DEALER to show that the modification that was made caused the failure, thus voiding warranty work. Below is a copy/paste from a article i was reading based on my other vehicle.

The saving grace for consumers is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that a dealer must prove that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage.

TwoSqueeze

Reaction score
I could be mistaken here with FORD as this will be my first Raptor, hell, my first FORD ever but, with warranty issues and modifications done to the vehicle, the burden of proof is on the DEALER to show that the modification that was made caused the failure, thus voiding warranty work. Below is a copy/paste from a article i was reading based on my other vehicle.

The saving grace for consumers is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that a dealer must prove that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage.

100 times this. Just understand that you may have to lawyer up to get somewhere with them depending on the dealership service department. If you find a good one, be honest with them and don’t try to hide stuff. The ones who understand that the burden of proof is on Ford to prove that your mod caused the breakage are usually pretty fair on the outset of the problem.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
100 times this. Just understand that you may have to lawyer up to get somewhere with them depending on the dealership service department. If you find a good one, be honest with them and don’t try to hide stuff. The ones who understand that the burden of proof is on Ford to prove that your mod caused the breakage are usually pretty fair on the outset of the problem.

your problem is by doing a tune, you are breaking the END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT (EULA) for the software in the ECU. The EULA says if you modify the code in your ECU, your warranty "may" be voided. It is well known in EVERY CAR FORUM ON EARTH....a tune will void your warranty. PERIOD.

Ford is smart, and only go to this as a last resort. But chance it at your risk.

signalbobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont mislead other users on wishes and dreams. Like another member says, even stock the warranty can be denied. Manufacturer's hedge the bet the owner will back out on litigation or through arbitration. They can wait. Owners typically can't.

Jace21583

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you wanna up your boost just install a jmsoostmax. your ecu wont actually recognize the additional boost. How do i know? ive got a bank idash that shows normal boost pressures and tee'd in a mechanical boost gauge. while the idash, which reads all obd2 readings, only peaks at 18psi. mechanical boost gauge reads 21. 300 bucks for probably another 60-90hp is also probably going to be the best dollar to hp increase ratio. IMO

Steven Vaccaro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When we go in for warranty work, the work is done by the dealer and then paid by the manufacturer. Its in the dealers best interest to do the repair work. The tech and shop gets paid. The only times Ive read about the manufacturer wanting to know of a tune, was in a catastrophic failure. But I dont do this for a living, maybe there is a ford tech or service guy on the forum that can give more detail.