Trx curb weight vs gen3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Teghogh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, first time posting here.
I had the pleasure of owning a scab gen2 for a year prior to switching to a gladiator but have been finding on the gen3 section since the intro couple months ago and slowly but surely developing an itch to jump back once gen3 becomes available.

I’m intrigued by both the raptor and the trx. There is no doubt in my mind that if both the raptor and the trx were available today I’d pick a zero optioned gen3 in Orange as it ticks all the boxes in terms of power, looks, gas mileage, price difference, etc. but the trx is available now at msrp and the raptor is not so a tough decision would have to be made.
I find both designs to be equally attractive, the V6 vs V8 debate doesn’t sway me to one side either as I’ve never felt the need for a V8 sound or more HP in a raptor truck
The only factor keeping me away from picking a trx is the horrid gas mileage and the extra unnecessary helft of the truck.
The scab consistently averaged around 18 on the freeway and about 13 in the city which is quite acceptable for a truck of the size of capability as a raptor
But 11mpg freeway and 9 in the city, and 1000 pound extra is shockingly bad.
Given that the Hemi rebel is in the same ballpark of the F150 in terms of weight one would assume that the raptor and the trx weight would be similar +/300 pounds but a whole 1k pounds extra is giant fail in terms of driving dynamics.
Can anyone chime in on the engineering that makes the weight penalty on so much lower on f150 to raptor than rebel to trx?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The weight difference between the Raptor (Gen 2) and TRX is 699 lbs.

TRX: 6396
Raptor: 5697

The additional weight of the TRX comes from the iron engine block, supercharger w/ associated components, steel body, Dana 60 full float rear axle, and the heavier duty driveline components that are required to handle the horsepower and torque output of the engine.

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did the 1000 pounds number come from? I thought raptors were 5800ish and TRX’s were 6300ish

Id also like to know where the hell he found TRXs at MSRP lol. I'm still seeing dealers charging 25 to 50k ADM. And that's all across North America.

OP
OP
T

Teghogh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id also like to know where the hell he found TRXs at MSRP lol. I'm still seeing dealers charging 25 to 50k ADM. And that's all across North America.
It can be ordered locally even at couple socal dealers at msrp. there are few dealers that sel at msrp on the ram forum as well

squeak11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little off topic but I see a lot of trx's for sale at over sticker... and then I keep seeing them over sticker. The same trucks. I'm not so sure they're moving off the lot all that well with the adm's. Not bashing them, just my observation as I keep an eye on popular models. I follow c8 corvette as well. If the gen 3 wasn't coming out I'd probably be hunting a trx deal.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Teghogh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m interested in why you went from a Raptor to a Jeep Gladiator...
The only car I can’t retire from is a Jeep Wrangler and the idea of topless doorless truck sold me on the gladiator. Given that I live close to the beach and work nearby the truck is naked about half the year which is a different kind of fun that a raptor and looks great on 35s with small lift. Both raptor and the gladiator are considered toy trucks that serve a different purpose