Trx curb weight vs gen3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never forget what Raptors are capable of and what they’ve accomplished. Takes a lot more than just hp

‘Nuff said

JerseyMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, funny post, I also went from a 2019 raptor to a gladiator (now on 35's with 2" lift). I too have a bit of an itch to get back to a raptor.....base code orange....lol

I love the gladiator but it is a bit tight with 3 kids, I am worried though that I will miss top/doors off as I had the raptor and a wrangler and consolidated to the gladiator

on a positive note the gladiator used prices are high which also has me thinking of trading.

Billybob454ss

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first time posting here.
I had the pleasure of owning a scab gen2 for a year prior to switching to a gladiator but have been finding on the gen3 section since the intro couple months ago and slowly but surely developing an itch to jump back once gen3 becomes available.

I’m intrigued by both the raptor and the trx. There is no doubt in my mind that if both the raptor and the trx were available today I’d pick a zero optioned gen3 in Orange as it ticks all the boxes in terms of power, looks, gas mileage, price difference, etc. but the trx is available now at msrp and the raptor is not so a tough decision would have to be made.
I find both designs to be equally attractive, the V6 vs V8 debate doesn’t sway me to one side either as I’ve never felt the need for a V8 sound or more HP in a raptor truck
The only factor keeping me away from picking a trx is the horrid gas mileage and the extra unnecessary helft of the truck.
The scab consistently averaged around 18 on the freeway and about 13 in the city which is quite acceptable for a truck of the size of capability as a raptor
But 11mpg freeway and 9 in the city, and 1000 pound extra is shockingly bad.
Given that the Hemi rebel is in the same ballpark of the F150 in terms of weight one would assume that the raptor and the trx weight would be similar +/300 pounds but a whole 1k pounds extra is giant fail in terms of driving dynamics.
Can anyone chime in on the engineering that makes the weight penalty on so much lower on f150 to raptor than rebel to trx?
I traded my 2018 Raptor for a TRX Im getting 15.5 MPG highway around town about 9 MPG ...

fts

Reaction score
When the TRX is optioned in the close-to-$90K range, its weight apparently is a bit more, over 6700#:

If I am not mistaken, a loaded Raptor with 37s, still come in below 5900#.

Also to note, I do not think the TRX is that nose heavy. Based on the numbers in the picture, its weight distribution is 56% front, which is far better than some front drive cars frankly. I am not sure how those numbers compare to the Raptor.

The issue the poster is mentioning though, is that the left and right side balance of the truck is off, which is concerning: 51.5% heavier on the left side without the driver :oops:

Full thread link: https://www.ram-trx.com/threads/did-a-second-real-pdi-on-the-le-today.1320/

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When the TRX is optioned in the close-to-$90K range, its weight apparently is a bit more, over 6700#:

If I am not mistaken, a loaded Raptor with 37s, still come in below 5900#.

Also to note, I do not think the TRX is that nose heavy. Based on the numbers in the picture, its weight distribution is 56% front, which is far better than some front drive cars frankly. I am not sure how those numbers compare to the Raptor.

The issue the poster is mentioning though, is that the left and right side balance of the truck is off, which is concerning: 51.5% heavier on the left side without the driver :oops:

Full thread link: https://www.ram-trx.com/threads/did-a-second-real-pdi-on-the-le-today.1320/
Wait! This would be great if it was an oval truck lol. Now you can do some driving trickery to maybe balance out the front to rear. But side to side would be a bit tougher I imagine.

Billybob454ss

Reaction score
Today I traded in my 2021 Ram TRX with 3,800 miles for a 2021 black raptor 37
I traded my 2018 raptor for the TRX, from the moment
I drove out of the Ram dealer I wasn't happy with the
ride of the TRX , also my TRX had the lean on the drivers side ,I hated looking at that lean in my driveway ...
the 21 raptor rides so much nicer and handles so much better than the TRX
OH YEAH THE BLUE INTERIOR IS NOT SO BAD !!!!
but I would prefer a black interior

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ride of the TRX , also my TRX had the lean on the drivers side ,I hated looking at that lean in my driveway ...
Ah some really world comparison on the TRX vs the Gen 3. So even compared to your Gen 2 in what you were used the TRX didn’t drive as good from the start or was there a characteristic of the truck’s right you didn’t like? Several have said oh the TRX rides so much better than the Gen 2 etc etc. I realize the Gen 3 would most certainly take the preference back.

RaptorAddict1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is something that not a lot of people are talking about. Everyone wants to talk about horsepower but no one has talked about the two trucks and the way they handle/ride. I imagined the gen 3 would handle much better than the trx as I believe the suspension set up to be much better. The Raptor being lighter helps as well. To me the way a vehicle handles is extremely important as you use that to your advantage every day. 700hp is cool but not exactly useful in everyday driving. Don’t get me wrong 700hp is cool though. Could you elaborate on the difference in handling between the TRX and the Raptor?

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If also like to hear from someone who’s had a Gen 2. How is the handling and ride in the Gen 3 as a comparison. Are we talking a day and night difference or evolutional difference? On road and off road. I think comparing a ‘19-‘20 would be the more fair comparison, to the Gen 3.

Billybob454ss

Reaction score
This is something that not a lot of people are talking about. Everyone wants to talk about horsepower but no one has talked about the two trucks and the way they handle/ride. I imagined the gen 3 would handle much better than the trx as I believe the suspension set up to be much better. The Raptor being lighter helps as well. To me the way a vehicle handles is extremely important as you use that to your advantage every day. 700hp is cool but not exactly useful in everyday driving. Don’t get me wrong 700hp is cool though. Could you elaborate on the difference in handling between the TRX and the Raptor?
My
the TRX rides nice on perfect roads but in New York our roads a far from perfect ,
So on any any uneven pavement the TRX Is jittery , you feel the truck jumping all over the place
My wife noticed the difference from my 2018 Raptor
Also when we drove the 2021 raptor home today from Maryland to Long Isand
She like the ride so much better
The gen 3 is way better better handling that the TRX