Trx curb weight vs gen3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only car I can’t retire from is a Jeep Wrangler and the idea of topless doorless truck sold me on the gladiator. Given that I live close to the beach and work nearby the truck is naked about half the year which is a different kind of fun that a raptor and looks great on 35s with small lift. Both raptor and the gladiator are considered toy trucks that serve a different purpose

Good a reason as there can be. I am too narrow minded and only think of the Raptors performance and luxurious interior compared to a Jeep.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The weight difference between the Raptor (Gen 2) and TRX is 699 lbs.

TRX: 6396
Raptor: 5697

The additional weight of the TRX comes from the iron engine block, supercharger w/ associated components, steel body, Dana 60 full float rear axle, and the heavier duty driveline components that are required to handle the horsepower and torque output of the engine.

I don’t think the driveline components are any heavier duty than the Raptors....there’s plenty of Raptors out there making close to TRX HP & more than TRX TQ & these trucks are actually being used hardcore offroad

The weight comes from heavier FE block engine & heavier body overall- the frame may be heavier than a Raptors but I seriously doubt it’s stronger or more rigid. All dodge products are outrageously hefty (aside from their normal 1/2 tons I guess) especially their SRT/hellcat variants. They have a lot of gadgets & tech on the inside as well that I’m sure adds weight

but all the AL usage in the Raptor design really delivers

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The weight difference between the Raptor (Gen 2) and TRX is 699 lbs.

TRX: 6396
Raptor: 5697

The additional weight of the TRX comes from the iron engine block, supercharger w/ associated components, steel body, Dana 60 full float rear axle, and the heavier duty driveline components that are required to handle the horsepower and torque output of the engine.

700 lbs is no joke.

Good info - thx!

Chinook101

Reaction score
"The additional weight of the TRX comes from the iron engine block, supercharger w/ associated components, steel body, Dana 60 full float rear axle, and the heavier duty driveline components that are required to handle the horsepower and torque output of the engine."

The additional weight on the TRX also comes from the additional tow-hooks and anchor points needed to hoist it on to and secure it to the flatbed when towing it back to the dealer for repairs.

OP
OP
T

Teghogh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"The additional weight of the TRX comes from the iron engine block, supercharger w/ associated components, steel body, Dana 60 full float rear axle, and the heavier duty driveline components that are required to handle the horsepower and torque output of the engine."

The additional weight on the TRX also comes from the additional tow-hooks and anchor points needed to hoist it on to and secure it to the flatbed when towing it back to the dealer for repairs.
Haha

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, first time posting here.
I had the pleasure of owning a scab gen2 for a year prior to switching to a gladiator but have been finding on the gen3 section since the intro couple months ago and slowly but surely developing an itch to jump back once gen3 becomes available.

I’m intrigued by both the raptor and the trx. There is no doubt in my mind that if both the raptor and the trx were available today I’d pick a zero optioned gen3 in Orange as it ticks all the boxes in terms of power, looks, gas mileage, price difference, etc. but the trx is available now at msrp and the raptor is not so a tough decision would have to be made.
I find both designs to be equally attractive, the V6 vs V8 debate doesn’t sway me to one side either as I’ve never felt the need for a V8 sound or more HP in a raptor truck
The only factor keeping me away from picking a trx is the horrid gas mileage and the extra unnecessary helft of the truck.
The scab consistently averaged around 18 on the freeway and about 13 in the city which is quite acceptable for a truck of the size of capability as a raptor
But 11mpg freeway and 9 in the city, and 1000 pound extra is shockingly bad.
Given that the Hemi rebel is in the same ballpark of the F150 in terms of weight one would assume that the raptor and the trx weight would be similar +/300 pounds but a whole 1k pounds extra is giant fail in terms of driving dynamics.
Can anyone chime in on the engineering that makes the weight penalty on so much lower on f150 to raptor than rebel to trx?

There is so much more going on than the weight difference. As others have said the larger engine and components make up the bulk of the difference. The truck is not balanced meaning it's nose heavy. It's a first year attemp...by fiat...means watch out...it's not Baja proven like the raptor and apples to apples cost 20k more. Nothing attractive about the truck except the HP which as you said...isn't much of a draw given the perfectly awesome HP/TQ in the Raptor. To a consumer I'm sure they appear competitive with each other but to an enthusiast they aren't even close...I feel sorry for people that waste money on the TRX. The Gen 3 Raptor will beat it on paper on every check box except HP then add the Raptor R. It just isn't a competition.