Transmission Wonkiness Poll

Looking for outcomes from those who have taken theirs in for the wandering trans shifting issues

• They fixed it!

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • They said, "That's normal", so I gave up

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • They said, "That's normal" and I kept pushing and they fixed it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They said, "That's normal" and I kept pushing and they couldn't fix it.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • They tried to fix it, without me pushing, and nothing worked.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FatBuoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm considering taking mine in, as the Sport mode shifting is not acceptable. I've seen so many different viewpoints, that I would be curious as to real world outcomes when taking it to the dealer. I have a 2018, by the way. I heard these got better as of 2019, but could be mistaken. It's not that it's a harsh shift, as I would expect that in Sport. It's the, "am I sure I want to shift" bucking thing that's not normal in my opinion.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What is “acceptable” is entirely subjective. Sport mode is a programming change only; if there was actually something hydraulically or mechanically failed inside of the transmission, it would not just affect a single mode.

What is the build date of the truck? 2018’s built 5/15/18 or earlier had a TSB for shift concerns. However, if the PCM has been updated since then you’ll already have the latest software with that update included.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah we just have to accept that the interns programmed the 10 speed. When I had a tune on my Gen two it helped a lot. I don’t think it’s a bad transmission but the programming is some of the worst I’ve ever experienced.

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ignore the wonky shifting. I just drive gently until I feel all fluid temps are normal, put it in Sport Mode( the lazy shifts in normal are somewhat annoying) and then let her rip. Mine is a 19. We have a 23 also, the 23 shifts flawlessly, so apparently they figured out the best shifting program. I just love the rev matching downshifts in Sport Mode, I have a loud exhaust, I assume that accentuates the downshift sounds. Until I feel like there’s a real issue, I’ll keep it out of the service depts hands

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ignore the wonky shifting. I just drive gently until I feel all fluid temps are normal, put it in Sport Mode( the lazy shifts in normal are somewhat annoying) and then let her rip. Mine is a 19. We have a 23 also, the 23 shifts flawlessly, so apparently they figured out the best shifting program. I just love the rev matching downshifts in Sport Mode, I have a loud exhaust, I assume that accentuates the downshift sounds. Until I feel like there’s a real issue, I’ll keep it out of the service depts hands
I’m with you. My 17 had horrible shifts until I tuned it. My 22 37pp is great out the box. I don’t feel the need to tune it.