Transmission Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SonnyAK

SonnyAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update...

I just wanted to give an update in case anyone else ever has this issue...It's always great to be able to come here and read about things that others have experienced with their trucks!!

My shop called this morning and thought they had the issue resolved with a new throttle body. I went and picked it up, and while the truck was still cool it drove ok, but still not quite as smooth as before. I planned to drive it a bit and see how it did. As the truck warmed up it began to have some of the same symptoms as before - the more I drove the worse it became (started surging, dying, noise from underneath - brushing sounds and knocking). I immediately took it back and kept the truck running while the service rep went and got the tech. They both got to hear it and see it when it was acting up so that was a good thing. In there defense, I don't think it ever warmed enough to really start acting up when in the shop before - it's really warm here today too (by Alaska standards). They now think it may be the torque converter since the truck starts to load up while in gear and braked, then surges when initially released, and the knocking and brushing sound is coming from that area too. It's still giving a code that leads to the throttle body, but now they have first hand experience with the other sounds and such, so they're back on it...Keep your fingers crossed!!

OP
OP
SonnyAK

SonnyAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got word form the shop that the torque converter is the primary problem. They said in the process of failing, other damage was done, but I don't know the specifics of what just yet. 3-4 days for parts to arrive and repairs to be made, so hopefully this will be the end of this issue soon!

It's crazy that this happened since my truck is a bit of a garage queen (I have a work truck to daily drive) so it spends the majority of it's life in the garage - only 6200 miles on it and my old Bronco gets driven in the rain and snow - I even have a cover for it to keep the dust off! :facepalm: Yes, that's sad...

Last edited:
OP
OP
SonnyAK

SonnyAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to update this since it's been a while...My truck is still at the shop. Going on 3 weeks now, and as you can imagine I'm not super happy! Wrong parts ordered and then supposedly the correct parts ordered and still awaiting the arrival of them...I didn't buy my truck from this dealer and I really don't think they care if I'm happy or not...
By my estimates they'll have my truck close to a month before this is resolved since the parts aren't scheduled to arrive until the 19th...I think the parts are being driven to Alaska in a Model A...:mad:

mike.s

Reaction score
That sucks man. I feel for you. That's why I'm leery of dealerships. Some are good, and some are pretty bad.

OP
OP
SonnyAK

SonnyAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks...I appreciate it!

I don't use dealers for anything but warranty repair either. Sad thing is we don't have any dealer options in Anchorage...It's one stop shopping and they know it. The next closest to me is in Wasilla, about 60 miles round trip, so it looks like I'll be making that drive in the future...

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just wanted to update this since it's been a while...My truck is still at the shop. Going on 3 weeks now, and as you can imagine I'm not super happy! Wrong parts ordered and then supposedly the correct parts ordered and still awaiting the arrival of them...I didn't buy my truck from this dealer and I really don't think they care if I'm happy or not...
By my estimates they'll have my truck close to a month before this is resolved since the parts aren't scheduled to arrive until the 19th...I think the parts are being driven to Alaska in a Model A...:mad:
The problem is, that they are most likely going to be tied up at the border, always allow extra time for that. Hope you get it back soon! Keep us posted.

OP
OP
SonnyAK

SonnyAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first torque converter got here very quickly (the wrong one)...The next one (hopefully the correct one) is taking 2-3 times longer...I'm assuming they put it on the slow boat since their mistakes are now cutting into their warranty work profit margin...:emotions34:

OP
OP
SonnyAK

SonnyAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked my truck up this morning and within an hour I was heading back to drop it off to them again...

I immediately noticed the transmission hitting a bit harder and hunting for the gears in the higher range, but I thought I'd just drive it and see if everything settled in some. As I drove it, the higher the trans temps went...after about 30 minutes they went beyond the yellow mark and almost hit the redline (readout peaked at 267) so I headed back to the dealership - highest I had ever seen before today was in the 190's so I knew this wasn't going to be good if I kept driving it...

So after being at the shop for the last 3 weeks - It's back in the shop! The best thing was they told me it would be Monday before they could even take a look at it since they were busy - You'd think they'd have treated it as if the truck had never left and would immediately start working on it - especially since I was 3 weeks ahead of everyone else in line!!

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what next week holds for this...:mad:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't even know how to comment on that! I would be beside myself on both sides of me, one side saying to bitchslap the tech's and the other side saying to bitchslap all the tech's.

---------- Post added at 06:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 AM ----------

They should just put a new transmission in it now.

OP
OP
SonnyAK

SonnyAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was in a bit of shock and just walked away since nothing I would say at that moment would've helped at all...Hindsight, I should have asked for the service manager...

Everyone I've talked to lately about this shop says they no longer go there...After this is done, I'll be driving out to the dealer in Wasilla for any warranty work!!

Crystal put me in touch with a regional service manager but I'm not sure what he's been able to do to expedite anything...All I know is my truck has a seriously broken drivetrain - for the last 3 + weeks :biggun: