Transmission Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SonnyAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Screw with only 6200 miles on it. It's been an awesome truck so far and I have had zero issues...Until today. I did a search to see if others have had this problem, but didn't run across anyone with the exact one. Hopefully someone can give me a bit of input or shed some light on what's happening...

We were driving and coming up a long hill at about 45mph...I started to accelerate a bit and the transmission downshifted and made an odd sound (I initially thought it was a belt slipping). It didn't do anything else until we got home, and when turning around in the driveway and shifting from F to R and back, the transmission started hitting really hard, the truck would rev if I paused in N. It then started making a light knocking/rattling sound from the transmission. Also, the idle is way down when in gear...If the A/C is on and the revs are a bit higher, the truck will barely keep idling...If the A/C is off, the truck will sometimes die when shifting from N to D or R. It was about 70 degrees outside and the truck was warm and had been driven around 50 miles with several stops for errands before the issue started...

I drove it down the road again and the shifting is pretty normal through the gears...I also tried the manual mode and it seems fine.

I hope all that makes sense...Any insight will be greatly appreciated! I'll be calling the dealer on Monday, but thought someone might be able to shed some light on the issue since it's bugging the shit out of me right now! Thanks in advance!!

OP
OP
SonnyAK

SonnyAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I'll mention that to them when I take it in.

Something else it was doing that I forgot to mention...It was also surging some, and was trying to take off a bit even with solid braking. Also, when you first release the brake, there's a bit of a delay before it starts to move - almost like it was still being braked...

Thanks again

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...We were driving and coming up a long hill at about 45mph...I started to accelerate a bit and the transmission downshifted and made an odd sound (I initially thought it was a belt slipping). It didn't do anything else until we got home, and when turning around in the driveway and shifting from F to R and back, the transmission started hitting really hard, the truck would rev if I paused in N...

Did you get in touch with your dealer today, SonnyAK? Let me know if you decide to head in for diagnosis; I'll be able to research some ways to help once they've looked things over.

Crystal

OP
OP
SonnyAK

SonnyAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Crystal. I made an appointment with them for Thursday to drop it off and have them look it over. It's been a great truck so far, and this was completely out of the blue, so hopefully it's something minor (keep my fingers crossed)!!

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Crystal. I made an appointment with them for Thursday to drop it off and have them look it over. It's been a great truck so far, and this was completely out of the blue, so hopefully it's something minor (keep my fingers crossed)!!

I'm sure you'll be in good hands at the dealership, SonnyAK. I'll continue to monitor this thread to see how things go on Thursday. :)

Crystal

OP
OP
SonnyAK

SonnyAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to give you an update concerning my excellent service at the shop today (that's sarcasm)...
Made an appointment in person with a service rep on Monday and explained what the truck was doing. They said to drop it off first thing today (this worked with my schedule). I dropped the truck at 07:30 and they said they'd call when they had an idea of the issue. 4pm came and went with no call, so I called them since I would catch a ride home if parts were ordered or something. Got a voice mail and left a message...30 min later, no call back. Called again and talked to a live person who told me the truck hadn't even been looked at by a technician today...Yes, I'm super happy... :mad: I guess I need to learn the definition of appointment again...

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just wanted to give you an update concerning my excellent service at the shop today (that's sarcasm)...
Made an appointment in person with a service rep on Monday and explained what the truck was doing. They said to drop it off first thing today (this worked with my schedule). I dropped the truck at 07:30 and they said they'd call when they had an idea of the issue. 4pm came and went with no call, so I called them since I would catch a ride home if parts were ordered or something. Got a voice mail and left a message...30 min later, no call back. Called again and talked to a live person who told me the truck hadn't even been looked at by a technician today...Yes, I'm super happy... :mad: I guess I need to learn the definition of appointment again...

How frustrating, SonnyAK. Send me a PM with your details; I'll get this pushed up the line to your regional customer service manager. Be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. Leave the rest to me.

Crystal

OP
OP
SonnyAK

SonnyAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's an update on what they're thinking...No codes were shown when they started the diagnostics, but I guess they were able to replicate some of the issues. Their transmission guy worked on it and their conclusion today was to replace the Throttle Body, but they had to order one and it should be there by Monday, so hopefully it'll be finished then and we'll get to see if that's the fix!! I can see that being the over revving and dying issue, but I'm not completely sold that's what's making the sound coming from underneath?? I know these trucks have everything linked together somehow with all of the computer controls so hopefully this will do the trick!!