Trade gen 2 for gen 1??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Would you give up 200 or so horsepower for a few extra MPG? Didn't think so ;)
Are you taking crazy pills? The Gen 2 has 450 HP. You're giving up HP and MPG, not to mention all the other doodads. Are we talking stock to stock here, or with bolt-ons?

Truckasaurus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you taking crazy pills? The Gen 2 has 450 HP. You're giving up HP and MPG, not to mention all the other doodads. Are we talking stock to stock here, or with bolt-ons?

Stock trucks are for poor people. Mine has been supercharged since 2015. Also, as previously noted, Sync 3 is an easy update, as are the paddles. There's really nothing else except for the ACC but I personally like to drive my own vehicle and would never put up with those random false interventions.

D

Deleted member 17706

Update your truck to 17 mpg and an aluminum body. We will wait.

Most of us don’t care about mpg. In 2013-2014, I was paying $5-5.50 a gallon for premium gas on my Gen 1. I don’t care how much gas costs or what the mpg is. It is always a pleasure to drive a Raptor and the smiles per gallon always trump whatever a Raptor costs me.

If you upgrade your tires to a proper load range (D-E) your mpg will drop significantly. In Baja after 10 days of running and 2000 miles, the mpg difference between a Gen 2 and Gen 1 is negligible.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are a ton of Ecoboost engines that run a long time. Treat it right, mod it little and do the maintenance. There are hundreds of turbo vehicles on the road running 200k miles reliably. It’s not 1985 anymore.

Great point.

The 6.2 is a relatively straight forward engine design and has proven to be been very trouble free. However, that doesn't mean the 3.5 is automatically inferior just because it has turbochargers and direct injection. "Reliability" is not determined on a sliding scale based on the number of systems and parts; it comes down to design, engineering, and the quality of the components that make up the engine.

Ford didn't just slap a couple of turbos on an N/A 3.5 in 2011 and call it an EcoBoost. Even though the engine was projected to be a low volume option (opposite of what happened) it needed to pass all F-Series durability tests without failure. For those that have read Iron Fist, Lead Foot (John Coletti) you know what is required of a engine to pass Ford's most basic durability testing. Once the engine passes in that environment, it is tested in the real world under the most extreme conditions possible. If it couldn't pass, it would have been back to the drawing board.

The Gen II 3.5 was developed using all of the lesson learned from the Gen 1 3.5. They went from a mechanical bucket valvetrain (DAMB) to roller finger followers, added Port Fuel Injection (PFI) to the Direct Injection (DI) system, revised the entire timing chain design for enhanced performance and reliability, hollowed out the camshafts, upped the compression ratio, revised the metallurgy in the turbocharger compressor wheels (lighter and stronger M-247 Alloy), and adopted new electronic turbocharger wastegates.

Unless someone has empirical data that shows these engines experience XX or YY failure at 200K miles, claiming they are "unreliable" or "less reliable" is just hearsay, because there is no data to back it up. Anyone can provide "what ifs", but what actually matters is the results of real world use.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Funny, I spent a little time on Google, researching how to make my Gen 2 more like a Gen 1. Sadly, there were zero results. :)

Lol. Alright guys, I now understand you are both FU rich. OP, I hope you have DEEP pockets. Carry on.

Truckasaurus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny, I spent a little time on Google, researching how to make my Gen 2 more like a Gen 1. Sadly, there were zero results. :)

Lol. Alright guys, I now understand you are both FU rich. OP, I hope you have DEEP pockets. Carry on.

Didn't look real hard if you didn't find all the shops offering V8 swaps :)

Truckasaurus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great point.

The 6.2 is a relatively straight forward engine design and has proven to be been very trouble free. However, that doesn't mean the 3.5 is automatically inferior just because it has turbochargers and direct injection. "Reliability" is not determined on a sliding scale based on the number of systems and parts; it comes down to design, engineering, and the quality of the components that make up the engine.

Ford didn't just slap a couple of turbos on an N/A 3.5 in 2011 and call it an EcoBoost. Even though the engine was projected to be a low volume option (opposite of what happened) it needed to pass all F-Series durability tests without failure. For those that have read Iron Fist, Lead Foot (John Coletti) you know what is required of a engine to pass Ford's most basic durability testing. Once the engine passes in that environment, it is tested in the real world under the most extreme conditions possible. If it couldn't pass, it would have been back to the drawing board.

The Gen II 3.5 was developed using all of the lesson learned from the Gen 1 3.5. They went from a mechanical bucket valvetrain (DAMB) to roller finger followers, added Port Fuel Injection (PFI) to the Direct Injection (DI) system, revised the entire timing chain design for enhanced performance and reliability, hollowed out the camshafts, upped the compression ratio, revised the metallurgy in the turbocharger compressor wheels (lighter and stronger M-247 Alloy), and adopted new electronic turbocharger wastegates.

Unless someone has empirical data that shows these engines experience XX or YY failure at 200K miles, claiming they are "unreliable" or "less reliable" is just hearsay, because there is no data to back it up. Anyone can provide "what ifs", but what actually matters is the results of real world use.

Take a pass through the Gen 2 engine forum lately?

OP
OP
Jason Snokhous

Jason Snokhous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great point.

Very well said!

Status
Not open for further replies.