Tool Preference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Snap on, when I brake one he comes right to my house and swaps it out. Been using Snap-on a lot of years. The feel and comfort of the wrench is better than craftsman. How the wrench feels when you have to wrench all day on a Saturday is important to me. I have a few craftsman but not much. All my sockets and wrenches, nut drivers, allens, screwdrivers are snap on... My new 250 pound torque wrench is Lowes kobalt life time guarantee...
By the best once and you never have to buy it again....

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I am a second generation Craftsman guy. My dad was a tractor mechanic in college and used Craftsman and I was a heavy equipment mechanic (bulldozers, graders, etc.) in college and used Craftsman. My set now is a mix of Craftsman and SK with CP air tools. I will say this about Craftsman, they don't make them like they used to. The older stuff used less (better) material to get the same strength, so you could get them into more places.

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Craftsman sockets and socket ratchets are pieces of shit. Socket falls off the ratchet and cracks the paint on my front fascia. WTF? Wrenches are fine. Screw drivers, I break them. They suck too. To me, Craftsman are disposable tools. That is what I take out to the desert or the race track. I have a complete set of Craftsman for the trailer. When one gets lost or breaks, I go to the parts box (300pc Craftsman tool set bought on clearance at the Sears Outlet) and replace what is gone.

Now, do not get me wrong. For the average person, Craftsman is PERFECT! For any type of regular or professional use you are asking for misery. Until I started wrenching regularly, I used Craftsman. Even then, I still have some Craftsman in my shop set of tools.

Word to the wise: Pawnshops offer less than 50% retail prices on tools. I usually run an ad on Craigslist that says I pay 50% of retail on Snap-on, Matco, and Cornwell tools. People do bite and sell. Very few pieces of my shop set were paid at retail. The yellow box below, I paid 3500.00 for that.

1 of my 5 boxes. We were adding the right hand locker that day. 3 of my boxes are the Cornwell Roll-a-rounds.
17995_4057733806625_1555315543_n.jpg

Last edited:

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, I'm just the average weekender and primarily use Craftman & Kobalt hand tools, and since I'm also cheap I will occasionally buy Harbor Freight Pittsburgh hand tools for those one to two time jobs. After reading this thread I'm going to start hitting up Craiglists to get some of those high dollar tools....

Cummins_Bred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Craftsmen will warranty almost anything (or at least used to) so crapsmen sockets and wrenches I don't mind hammering on. Ratchets all Snap-On, pry-bars snap-on, ratchet wrenches GearWrench, and anything specialty is Snap-On

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Craftsmen will warranty almost anything (or at least used to) so crapsmen sockets and wrenches I don't mind hammering on. Ratchets all Snap-On, pry-bars snap-on, ratchet wrenches GearWrench, and anything specialty is Snap-On

From what I read on other forums, Snap-On is getting stupid with their warranties. This might just be the local person not wanting to do a warranty claim, I do not have any first hand knowledge of this. I am just glad that they do not break often and I have yet to break something of Snap-On/Matco/Cornwell.

nohel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snap-on off ebay some good deals if you can find them. MAC and some Blue Point. I have the craftsman professional series screwdriver set that i like and a bunch of ramdom other stuff.