To Mod or not to Mod: THAT is the Question!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atombombmx

Reaction score
Doesn't sound like you keep anything long enough to worry about it. I generally don't either but when I realized there was nothing better to replace my 2018 with, one phone call to Jeff @svc it took to start the mod process. Deaver +3, shackles, Kings, SVC UCA's & bump stop kit, and Method 313's fixed the 40,000 mile itch to move on. Makes it feel like a brand new truck again, I will clarify... 100% better than it was when brand new. Thanks to all the vendors out there that have a passion for the aftermarket game and keep producing killer products to take vehicles from good to reaching its limits.
IMG_4171.jpg IMG_4170.jpg IMG_4172.jpg

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always do a little eventually. I usually keep it minimal for the first year or two and don’t really dive in until I either think I’m keeping it a long time or if I think whatever I’m adding will help it sell. The Raptor is really really well done for what it is, so all I’ve done is a bed extender, tune and intake just for fun. I bought it with a tonneau cover already on otherwise would’ve added that too.

OP
OP
MDJAK

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
very helpful and informative replies. Only reason I didn' take the tonneau cover is I was about to buy a used one with 1200 miles and it had the rollnlock cover. Once I found the new one, the deal was done the same day.

And I find in spite of stainless steel, etc., the light brackets, especially the BD ones rust, and it's not as easy as one things to get them off. I just didn't have the time.

And my wife said don't put old lights on a new truck. lol..

OP
OP
MDJAK

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like you keep anything long enough to worry about it. I generally don't either but when I realized there was nothing better to replace my 2018 with, one phone call to Jeff @svc it took to start the mod process. Deaver +3, shackles, Kings, SVC UCA's & bump stop kit, and Method 313's fixed the 40,000 mile itch to move on. Makes it feel like a brand new truck again, I will clarify... 100% better than it was when brand new. Thanks to all the vendors out there that have a passion for the aftermarket game and keep producing killer products to take vehicles from good to reaching its limits.
View attachment 148903 View attachment 148904 View attachment 148905
Those SVC parts are a thing of beauty.

GunMonkeyINTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there's a famous song that goes: "Whenever I feel afraid....." Whenever I feel alone.....

Ever think your foibles are unique? I often do. I'll look at myself in the mirror and say, "Man, you are f'd up." Then I say Mirror Mirror on the wall who is the coolest of them all? And the damn mirror won't answer me. Weird, I tell ya.

So I start with my usual non segue (not Segway, those way cool two wheel things that never caught on and they've finally stopped manufacturing).

To Mod or not to Mod?

I realize modding is both satisfying and fun. it can also be damn expensive.

Take a case in point. There's a very ***** member here (Hint: it's me) who trades cars as often as the cleaner folk around here change their BVDs. But that's another story.

On a 911 that I traded after a few months, I put $2500 of PPF on it. If you have any doubt, which I'm sure you don't, you don't see dime one of that back upon trade. In no way, shape or form do you.

But that's ancient history, at least 2 years ago ;-).

Now I've just traded my 2019 Performance Blue for a gleaming, super shiny 2020 Lead Foot, as many of you probably know. Pics posted on that thread so no, it's not a Prius.

When I traded my 2017 Raptor, away it went with the pocket lights and tonneau cover. Another 2k worth of accessories in the breeze.

This time I said uh-uh. That's not happening. I had the lower grill light by BD, a 20" (I think) Rigid bar on the steel bar installed by the chief instructor at Raptor Assault in Utah this past August, and a tonneau cover.

I took the truck, with about 2 days to spare to my local mechanic and asked him to remove all lights, the ramps in the bed. After holding truck for 2 days he calls me and says he doesn't have the time to get it done. So away it went to dealer in trade with everything except the ramps which I removed in 10 minutes. Of course I forgot the replacement piece that comes with the ramps and bolts to the inside of the tailgate and has a piece shaped like a pencil that the ramps slide on to to remain in place while using them.

I'm getting a bit tired of the mod route, at least the expensive options.

Now a cover is a must. And I'm leaning heavily toward a Diamondback, which under no circumstances would I leave on next time.

As for the pocket lights, I was never really enthralled with them. They're ok, but don't shine nearly as bright as a light bar.

I am considering Deavers, but only because I tow and because everyone says they greatly improve the ride, which ain't too shabby on its own now.

I'm done.
I read, and then re-read your post, and I still couldn’t figure out if you were trying to tell us that you’re struggling with the decision to mod your truck, or finally reveal to the world that you’re gay.

I started on a third read when I realized my answer was the same:
You do you, bro.

chi_weezy

Reaction score
I basically do the same mods on every truck: Wheels/tires, Mx4 bed cover, Shorty antenna, tint, ****** radar hardwire. Doing all that plus ADD bumper W/ light bar on my truck when I finally get it delivered. Considering an FMIC but the install looks like a big pita and it’s about $1500 so there’s that

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m a guy that will usually strip everything off before selling to trading. Two trucks back, 2005 Nissan Titan, I stripped the lights, DR coil overs, stereo, and a bunch of other stuff in 3-4 hours. It’s amazing how much faster mods come off and go back to stock than it took to install them. I left everything except my Rigid 20” SR bar on my diesel truck I recently sold privately. Not much could be used on the Raptor and most of it was 12 years old.

I will be doing some mods on my new Raptor: Diamondback HD, deavers, rear bump stops, some lights, maybe a bolt on front bumper, some electrical for my ARB fridge, and some simple B&O stereo mods. I won’t do a tune for warranty reasons, and I won’t do a frame cut bumper because I’m too much of a ***** to chop the truck which cannot be reversed easily.