To Mod or not to Mod: THAT is the Question!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think there's a famous song that goes: "Whenever I feel afraid....." Whenever I feel alone.....

Ever think your foibles are unique? I often do. I'll look at myself in the mirror and say, "Man, you are f'd up." Then I say Mirror Mirror on the wall who is the coolest of them all? And the damn mirror won't answer me. Weird, I tell ya.

So I start with my usual non segue (not Segway, those way cool two wheel things that never caught on and they've finally stopped manufacturing).

To Mod or not to Mod?

I realize modding is both satisfying and fun. it can also be damn expensive.

Take a case in point. There's a very ***** member here (Hint: it's me) who trades cars as often as the cleaner folk around here change their BVDs. But that's another story.

On a 911 that I traded after a few months, I put $2500 of PPF on it. If you have any doubt, which I'm sure you don't, you don't see dime one of that back upon trade. In no way, shape or form do you.

But that's ancient history, at least 2 years ago ;-).

Now I've just traded my 2019 Performance Blue for a gleaming, super shiny 2020 Lead Foot, as many of you probably know. Pics posted on that thread so no, it's not a Prius.

When I traded my 2017 Raptor, away it went with the pocket lights and tonneau cover. Another 2k worth of accessories in the breeze.

This time I said uh-uh. That's not happening. I had the lower grill light by BD, a 20" (I think) Rigid bar on the steel bar installed by the chief instructor at Raptor Assault in Utah this past August, and a tonneau cover.

I took the truck, with about 2 days to spare to my local mechanic and asked him to remove all lights, the ramps in the bed. After holding truck for 2 days he calls me and says he doesn't have the time to get it done. So away it went to dealer in trade with everything except the ramps which I removed in 10 minutes. Of course I forgot the replacement piece that comes with the ramps and bolts to the inside of the tailgate and has a piece shaped like a pencil that the ramps slide on to to remain in place while using them.

I'm getting a bit tired of the mod route, at least the expensive options.

Now a cover is a must. And I'm leaning heavily toward a Diamondback, which under no circumstances would I leave on next time.

As for the pocket lights, I was never really enthralled with them. They're ok, but don't shine nearly as bright as a light bar.

I am considering Deavers, but only because I tow and because everyone says they greatly improve the ride, which ain't too shabby on its own now.

I'm done.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think there's a famous song that goes: "Whenever I feel afraid....." Whenever I feel alone.....

Ever think your foibles are unique? I often do. I'll look at myself in the mirror and say, "Man, you are f'd up." Then I say Mirror Mirror on the wall who is the coolest of them all? And the damn mirror won't answer me. Weird, I tell ya.

So I start with my usual non segue (not Segway, those way cool two wheel things that never caught on and they've finally stopped manufacturing).

To Mod or not to Mod?

I realize modding is both satisfying and fun. it can also be damn expensive.

Take a case in point. There's a very ***** member here (Hint: it's me) who trades cars as often as the cleaner folk around here change their BVDs. But that's another story.

On a 911 that I traded after a few months, I put $2500 of PPF on it. If you have any doubt, which I'm sure you don't, you don't see dime one of that back upon trade. In no way, shape or form do you.

But that's ancient history, at least 2 years ago ;-).

Now I've just traded my 2019 Performance Blue for a gleaming, super shiny 2020 Lead Foot, as many of you probably know. Pics posted on that thread so no, it's not a Prius.

When I traded my 2017 Raptor, away it went with the pocket lights and tonneau cover. Another 2k worth of accessories in the breeze.

This time I said uh-uh. That's not happening. I had the lower grill light by BD, a 20" (I think) Rigid bar on the steel bar installed by the chief instructor at Raptor Assault in Utah this past August, and a tonneau cover.

I took the truck, with about 2 days to spare to my local mechanic and asked him to remove all lights, the ramps in the bed. After holding truck for 2 days he calls me and says he doesn't have the time to get it done. So away it went to dealer in trade with everything except the ramps which I removed in 10 minutes. Of course I forgot the replacement piece that comes with the ramps and bolts to the inside of the tailgate and has a piece shaped like a pencil that the ramps slide on to to remain in place while using them.

I'm getting a bit tired of the mod route, at least the expensive options.

Now a cover is a must. And I'm leaning heavily toward a Diamondback, which under no circumstances would I leave on next time.

As for the pocket lights, I was never really enthralled with them. They're ok, but don't shine nearly as bright as a light bar.

I am considering Deavers, but only because I tow and because everyone says they greatly improve the ride, which ain't too shabby on its own now.

I'm done.

What pocket lights did you have?

D

Deleted member 17706

I have been against PPF for the very reason that you noted: it does not change the value of your vehicle whatsoever. And to be frank, most dealerships do not care whether you have rock chips on the front of a vehicle as it is normal wear as long as it is not crazy excessive. After having “lost” money on PPF when trading the vehicle in, I said I wouldn’t do it again because I trade in my vehicles too often—this is my fourth Raptor, so you are catching up to me :) Nevertheless, I had my 2020 fully wrapped in the front: hood, fenders, roof. And I am planning on having the rest of it wrapped as I stay too busy with work to worry about cleaning it the way I like to—I am obsessed if you know what I mean. It is super nice not to have to worry about scratching the paint when washing it and spending many hours every year doing paint correction, so I will gladly fork out the money to have it wrapped and not have to worry about such again.

As far as the lights go, you could have simply unplugged the lights from the harness and just bought a new harness for when you installed the lights on your new truck—very simple to do and probably would have only took you a couple of mins to unbolt everything. Bedcovers are not that hard to remove either.

I know some folks like a low profile bed cover, but I love my Diamondback. The quality is superb and robust. I got the non-diamond version, which is their new powder black coating. It fits the Raptor nicely, so I would highly recommend getting one:

57926669-B7C1-492E-B7B1-82B15420FBF0.jpeg

7B22BCDB-C1B7-44ED-9576-CED60D711396.jpeg

The only significant weak point on the Raptor is its leaf springs. Deavers will help with towing, but also help with axle wrap and prevent the rear end from kicking out every time you hit a bump. You don’t sound like the kind to turn a wrench, so it is another cost to have installed and removed for when you sell the truck (unless you just give it away for free like you did this time).

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a brand new 2020 this week and just got it back from $800 in PPF today. Oh well.

as for your fundamental question, I’m also on the fence. Mods can also hurt reliability and warranty which adds to the cost of them.

I want to relocate the intercooler, add a winch bumper, upgraded radiator and some lights but that’s a lot of money and reduced reliability almost certainly.

OP
OP
MDJAK

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What pocket lights did you have?
They sell those kits together. I had the one kit below the top level. I don’t mean to say they aren’t helpful and bright, but when you put a large(r) light bar on, then you see bright. Also, I find myself rarely driving at night lately.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Depends on mods- if it’s something functional you’ll use every day (like a tonneau) then I wouldn’t really get caught up w/ whether or not you “lost it” in a trade. Since it seems like you’re bound to do the same thing again, I’d probably leave it mostly stock.

I have some PPF on my truck cuz I hate rock chips & its black- I only put on partial hood/fenders/grill surrounds. They WOULD have chipped by now after 28k miles- I’m slightly OCD- so even if I were to trade it in next year (I won’t) I wouldn’t feel bad about spending $1200 on PPf & tinting windows since it saved me daily mental anguish looking, & being annoyed at- rock chips.

I’d say you should leave mostly stock unless seriously off-roading regularly.

That being said....I won’t own a truck w/o some type of tonneau cover and/or tool box (I have both- been using swingcase boxes on last couple trucks)

I won’t own a V8 truck w/o a catback too

and If the only way I could own a gen 2 raptor would be bone stock...I may consider something else- I think a good tune Is that significant a change to the character of the vehicle I’m not sure I could go back to driving one exclusively stock for any length of time.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They sell those kits together. I had the one kit below the top level. I don’t mean to say they aren’t helpful and bright, but when you put a large(r) light bar on, then you see bright. Also, I find myself rarely driving at night lately.

I put on 3 pair of Baja Designs squadrons, a pair of SAE wide, a pair of Combo Pro, and Racer spots. The Combo Pro and Racer Spots are insanely bright. I tried turning off my headlights with them on at night on a dark back road and I literally could not tell a difference when I turned my headlights off and on.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with adding mods to your vehicles. If you are just using it for getting from A to B just like a rental car, then leave it alone, but if you are enjoying driving your vehicle and want to make it your own then you should mod it. Everybody likes to have personal touches to make it their own. Good thing for you buying a 2020 is, you won't have to worry about trading in on another raptor for a few years.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d argue paint protection film adds no value to a vehicle. If you disclosed that you had it done, especially if you sell privately, if I were buying, I’d be more likely to pay your asking price.

As for a lot of your other mods, generally you won’t get full asking price out of them, but you will get something to the right buyer. The dealer is not the right buyer. They’re looking to clean it up and flip it as fast as possible.