Tire pressures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MacK88DO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instructors at Raptor Assault run 34 front and 28 rear for off-road and course work. Recommended 38 front and 32-34 rear for daily street work. Been running 38 front and 34 rear and works well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

ME120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instructors at Raptor Assault run 34 front and 28 rear for off-road and course work. Recommended 38 front and 32-34 rear for daily street work. Been running 38 front and 34 rear and works well for me.

That is excellent INFO thank you.

OP
OP
M

ME120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries- a lot of people
Confused when it comes to tire pressures- the same model
Tire can show different pressure ranges on the sidewall depending on Tire size/application, of course that has nothing to do w/ the manufacturer recommended psi usually listed on inside drivers door, and w/ trucks the correct psi can vary even more depending on what you’re trying to do.

Next time it’s 30 degrees out & you’ve been driving on highway for a few hrs pay attention to psi- you’ll see it climb, feel the tire after stopping @ gas station - it’ll be noticeably warm. Hot air expands, so your psi will climb, even more so in hot ambient temp, but once the truck is sitting for a few hours the psi should drop back down to whatever you set it at if it was done recently.

If you want more “stable” tire pressures less prone to temp
Fluctuations and/or losing air during long periods of sitting or extreme temp swings try having them filled w/ nitrogen

Thank you.

I never realized that the tire pressures were measured by when the vehicle is sitting dead cold parked. I was trying to set my tire pressures figuring that if I set them at 34 psi cold that by the time I got some heat in them they would go up to what I want which is 38 PSI.

Thank you.

Speeddeacon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder why the higher pressures in the front?

I’ve noticed cold tire temps on the TPMS varies greatly based on ambient temp. On cold mornings they will be low 30 psi and on warm mornings they’ll be 37-38. Don’t see that kind of variance on my other cars but they reside in the garage so don’t have the extreme temp swings.

MacK88DO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder why the higher pressures in the front?

If I remember correctly the rationale was that since there is significantly less weight over the rear axle in an unloaded bed that the lower rear pressures can be used to significantly increase grip and tire contact patch. Higher front pressures are to account for the weight of the engine.

Speeddeacon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly the rationale was that since there is significantly less weight over the rear axle in an unloaded bed that the lower rear pressures can be used to significantly increase grip and tire contact patch. Higher front pressures are to account for the weight of the engine.

makes sense I guess.

RotorHead695

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Discount tire when I had the stock BFG’s set mine to 50psi because that’s what their computer said, the stock tires say Max 45psi) I told them fix that. Yesterday I had them do my rotation which now I have same size but Ridge Grapplers and they again set it to 50psi. The Nittos say max pressure is 65psi but even at 50psi it rode like shit. I am going to set them back to 38 in the morning when cold.

Wow...I've been using Discount Tire for 15 years and they even just mounted new wheels and tires for me this week. They have never done that to me. Their standard has always been 35 psi unless I have asked for different.

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone running 35x12.5R20's have any recommendations? I assume most everyone running 34 lbs is running OEM tire size?
Does sidewall to tire size ratio affect tire pressure used on the same vehicle?