5 tire rotation and PSI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone running a 5 tire rotation? I went to do this today and noticed that the spare is not balanced, and it doesn't have a TMPS in it. You would have to correct these two small problems first before running the 5 tire. Just curious what everyone is doing? I just purchased new wheels that are on back order and got 5, but I'm starting to re-think that decision and may just go with 4 and leave the spare underneath as is.

Did anyone purchase 5 new wheels? I plan on selling my old take-offs to help pay for some cost of the new wheels. I figured I would be selling 5 wheels but now when I look around on Craig's List everyone is just selling 4. It seems like a waste to leave the spare down there to rot.

Also, what jack point is everyone using for the front end? The rear is easy, and I just put it under the axle, but in the front it seems like the only place is on the control arm behind the shock. I'm pretty sure in the owner's manual it says not to use the control arm but the side frame rail, and they put an arrow. This jack point will not get the front tire off the ground.

Finally, I have a discrepancy between my nice DIAL tire gauge and the TMPS sensors. The TPMS reads about 3 PSI higher than my tire gauge. Which one would you go with? I've got my tires with the dial perfectly at 37, but inside on the instrument cluster it reads 40.

Attachments

• 3441BB56-7FFF-4681-AD64-164D1A3E858B.jpeg
    3441BB56-7FFF-4681-AD64-164D1A3E858B.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 121

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
i got new sensors with new wheels, mounted and balanced and do 6 tire rotation; 4 + 2 spares in the bed rack. it works fine.

Spend money on a good tire gauge if you haven’t already. If you’re not a biker, go to a motorcycle shop. One that services bikes OTHER than Harley Davidsons. Tire pressure is supremely important to bikes, particularly sport bikes. Ask what the mechanics use, get a consensus, buy that and measure it against their gauge before you leave. You need to have a “known good gauge” that you measure against. I have 2 decent gauges, they’re within about .2 psi of each other. Also, they don’t last forever. I had my “known good gauge” circa 1993 or so give out last year.

I find that the TPMS is within about .5 - 1 psi of my known good gauges and close enough to keep me from ******** up.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Get a better jack with taller jack stands. That small jack is ok for the peasant cars.

I set by my gauge, its not a cheap one. 37 is too high of a pressure. Run 34 psi. Adjust the rear down if still too stiff.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Or ... a supporting vendor may have them. I got mine at CJ Pony because Amazon is like the wild west at it’s worse. Sometimes you get good stuff, sometimes you get fakes.

but definitely know the frequency of yours before you buy. There used to be a Ford site you could look up that listed it- ETIS?

Chizler22

Reaction score
I do a 5 tire rotation. I sold my OEM wheels(all 5), and bought new ones at Discount Tire. They put in a TPMS in what was the spare for free. It makes no sense to let a perfectly good spare hang underneath and rot from lack of use.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or ... a supporting vendor may have them. I got mine at CJ Pony because Amazon is like the wild west at it’s worse. Sometimes you get good stuff, sometimes you get fakes.

but definitely know the frequency of yours before you buy. There used to be a Ford site you could look up that listed it- ETIS?
This is true

OP
OP
S

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why would you intentionally go against what the maunal recommends?....oh you are from California...nevermind
What jack point are you using? The frame where the arrow is doesn't lift the tire, just lifts the frame up and the tire stays on the ground. Do I need a taller jack to get the tire to come off the ground? I was looking at a Pro Eagle but didn't want to drop $600. I saw a video where they used the very front of the truck where both control arms meet as the jack point.

Last edited: