Tire pressures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cliffster

Reaction score
If you install bigger tires you can run lower tire pressure.If you notice listed on the tire bigger tires with the same pressure will support more weight.

Reaction score
I would run 36 all 4 corners and drop PSI depending on off-road condition's

On average,tires will lose around one pound per square inch (psi) of pressure a month. Make sure your checking your tires condition and pressure at least once per month.

https://www.andysmcconnell.com/

40+ PSI is pretty high I wouldn't recommend anything above 40
⬇️
50739361_1162167073932160_1981798889350496256_n.jpg

Macca

Reaction score
Great to read all this about tyre pressures.The manual quotes that tyre pressures should not be deflated ,i guess as a precautionary advice for those of us not familiar with off -roading.
However i would like to say that these tyres present a large rolling diameter which is a huge benefit in sand driving.The other way to negotiate sand would be to run on a tyre like the Michelin Sahara,no aggression at all.
I have driven in the most powdery,deep sand on beaches and even towed lesser 4x4s where bogged with normal road (cold)pressure tyres.
The added benefit of maintaining normal pressure is that when you get onto the hard pack,you can through some doughnuts and give the old girl some space,ha! No fear of rolling a tyre of the rim!.
I am probably misinformed but appreciate all the posts.I am planning a Simpson Desert crossing in July(800 dunes in 500 kms)so i guess i will know about tyre pressures.
Just a note, i wonder what pressures the Army run chasing crooks across the Desert?

MEATSWORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I notice when the tires are set to 38-40 the ass end dances around on rough roads

I was running 34-36 for the winter, not to sure about the 110+° summer coming up.

MeFryRice

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Instructors at Raptor Assault run 34 front and 28 rear for off-road and course work. Recommended 38 front and 32-34 rear for daily street work. Been running 38 front and 34 rear and works well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just there last Wednesday (4/10) and learned the same thing. I also reduced my pressures down to 38F/34R.

waveslayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instructors at Raptor Assault run 34 front and 28 rear for off-road and course work. Recommended 38 front and 32-34 rear for daily street work. Been running 38 front and 34 rear and works well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd check those numbers, when we ran it they said for their course optimal tire pressure was 32 psi front and 28 rear, but we are splitting hairs [emoji16]

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gen ! called for 44 cold
Filling info above is right . . . temp set cold!!!

Again - I can only assume the gen 1's were running an LT rated 10 ply version of KO2's or similar? I think the relatively low (for a 35" AT tire) tire pressure & faster wear are directly related to the tire being a C rated softer compound than pretty much any other version or competitor. I do recall that Nitto made a P rated version of the terra grappler & maybe Toyo had one for the open country?

I plan on mounting Nokian studded snows in the winter seems like those & the BFG's are like the only "raptor specific" size & compound available.....not that you couldn't run other rubber, but the odd combination of AT tread design w/ softer compound & lower weight relative to what is typical for the design is a limiting factor

boomtruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air is 75 % nitrogen. That is enough nitrogen in my tires
The main reason for pressure climb is the moisture in the tire "air". When it gets hot it expands at a greater rate than just air. Nitrogen is very dry thus a lot less pressure climb when the tire heats up. The moisture is also the cause of wheel bead leaks from corrosion and pressure sensor malfunction. When you get your new tires mounted and they slap the slippy slide on the tire to mount it, that moisture will make your pressures jump up like crazy with temp. If you do use nitrogen you need to purge the tires multiple times to get rid of most of that moisture. In fact i have seen guys vacuum pump the tires to remove the air before purging.