Tire pressures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Speeddeacon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just dropped my rears to 35 cold. Left the fronts at 38. I’ll try it for a bit then adjust as necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlainJane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine tires are brand new, I am trying 36 PSI front and 34 PSI rear.
The contact patch still a little smaller than I would like.
At 45 PSI as delivered and 38 PSI after Day 1, The outside of the tire was still only contacting on one "block" with heavy paper able to slide in about 1/4" on that block. It could slide in about 1" in either of the next two "blocks".

At 36 PSI its looking a little better, between wear and lowering the pressure, I hope to find a happy medium.

I tend to run lower pressure than many and I do air up if towing.

boomtruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They will wear flat. That’s why your old tires will look a lot wider than the new one you put on. It not so much about contact as it is about being a part of the total suspension package. 33 rear 36 fronts are great for pot hole filled wash board logging roads in Baja 2wd manual but a little sketchy on the Vermont 100 givenr. Also at that lower pressure it is a bit draggy off the fuel imho.

PlainJane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They will wear flat. That’s why your old tires will look a lot wider than the new one you put on. It not so much about contact as it is about being a part of the total suspension package. 33 rear 36 fronts are great for pot hole filled wash board logging roads in Baja 2wd manual but a little sketchy on the Vermont 100 givenr. Also at that lower pressure it is a bit draggy off the fuel imho.

New to this game, My truck has 101.4 miles. "Plain Jane" might never see Vermont or your wash board logging roads, but I wish we could some day.

boomtruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2019 with 23000km. Rough northern roads and camp tours so I go softish. If I’m driving to Florida I air up. Air on the side of caution......

FNG in FL duhhh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Discount tire when I had the stock BFG’s set mine to 50psi because that’s what their computer said, the stock tires say Max 45psi) I told them fix that. Yesterday I had them do my rotation which now I have same size but Ridge Grapplers and they again set it to 50psi. The Nittos say max pressure is 65psi but even at 50psi it rode like shit. I am going to set them back to 38 in the morning when cold.

Same here in FL with discount tire. They set my new BFG Ko2s at 50. I told them real quick before I left. I run them all at 45 psi cold. Mine is a highway queen so I don’t mind the higher pressure. Recently took it in for a 5k rotation and they set them to 50 again. Even the door jamb clearly says 44 psi cold.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raptor Assault told me 32/28 for all conditions. That was last August. Maybe it’s different now.

The 28 causes the TPMS to not give a reading.

32/28 feels fantastic on the bad ranch roads (dirt and rarely graded). Also feels good on the highway.

40 PSI is harsh when on the ranch roads. Smooth highway doesn’t care.

I’m using ceramic balance beads which are working perfectly now for 33,000 miles. Probably 5,000 miles unpaved, the rest on pavement.

Many 100 mph runs on pavement. Numerous 50-70 mph off pavement. Love this truck.

docskeet1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raptor Assault told me 32/28 for all conditions. That was last August. Maybe it’s different now.

The 28 causes the TPMS to not give a reading.

32/28 feels fantastic on the bad ranch roads (dirt and rarely graded). Also feels good on the highway.

40 PSI is harsh when on the ranch roads. Smooth highway doesn’t care.

I’m using ceramic balance beads which are working perfectly now for 33,000 miles. Probably 5,000 miles unpaved, the rest on pavement.

Many 100 mph runs on pavement. Numerous 50-70 mph off pavement. Love this truck.
I was told 32F/28R for on road @raptor Assault 8/9/19.