Tips to keep your raptor looking new and easy to keep clean

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TxRaptor6.2

Reaction score
I owned a auto detail and restoration shop for over 20 years. I dont claim to know everything, but I do know quite a bit about how to keep things looking new. And the same applies to reducing signs of wear and tear, scratches and keeping your truck much easier to keep clean.
Here is what I have done to my new raptor.
1. Used a Carnuba wax to wax all painted surfaces. Also waxed skid plates frame and shocks. Waxed head lights and all smooth plastic. Waxed wheels to protect clear coat.
2. Applied silicon to all textured plastic, rubber around side glass, door handles, and running boards and rubber on bumpers. Let soak in and then wipe off excess.
3. Taped off area and used spray can bed liner to coat rear wheel wells to protect metal from rock chips and prevent rust. Applied tire dressing to front and rear of tires and to all plastic in wheel wells.
At this point even mud will easily rinse off the truck. I do not use wheel cleaner on wheels, it will dry out clear coat and ruin the finish. After taking these steps, you can simply use high pressure rinse to wash the truck. Bugs and dirt wont stick to the truck. Soap will only degrade the wax over time. High pressure rinse, then spot free rinse and towel dry. If its really muddy, you may need foam brush, but rinse as much grit off as possible before use to avoid scratching the surface from the grit.

Interior:
I applied silicone dressing to all plastic surfaces except the plastic that is painted silver.
The plastic trim along the console that is painted silver seemed it would easily scratch. So I spent about an hour waxing it to a gloss finish. It looks better and is much more scratch resistant. If you do this, I suggest using a heavy coat of silicone protectant on the textured plastic to help from getting wax down into the texture.
Condition the leather. I used Lexol leather conditioner. Even though the leather was new, it soaked up half a bottle of conditioner. Apply as many coats as needed until it no longer soaks up. Be careful to not apply the conditioner to heavy. If it goes on to wet or puddles, it can damage the leather. I use a small piece of an old T shirt to apply the conditioners. And another piece about 6 inches square to wipe off excess. Larger towels will soak the product right back off what you have applied it to.
Use of these products will really help reduce ware and scuffs on the interior. And be careful to avoid placing any grocery bags on the seats that have frozen food in the bag. This can damage the leather.
FYI. Many wax products claim to last a very long time. But the big issue is paint and plastic drying out from sun exposure and cleaning products. Carnuba wax helps to replinish the drying out that occurs over time. It will need to be applied every 3-6 months. Never use dish soap. It strips off all wax and drys out the paint and plastic. I would not ever use armor all products. I have had many customers say there dash cracked within 24 hours of using armor all. I have also seen it cause plastic to fade faster then when no products were used.
Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions.

warrior

Your Wife's Personal Trainer
Reaction score
brand of silicon? what do you think of Simonize? had my truck done. 7yr warranty.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Since I bought mine I have put only a few miles on it, put it in a climate controlled garage, wrapped in one of those air bubble protectors. I just windex the bubble when I want to look at my truck. IT'S PRETTY.

Seriously, TxRaptor6.2 what brand of detailing product do you recommend. I'm sure this will start a **** storm since everyone has their own preference. What "secret" brands do detail shops actually use?

A list of products used would be great. Thx.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I have heard a lot of good things about Adam's. I use their drying towels and car soap, but use Maguiars Tech Wax. I have used Zaino in the past, but don't think it is quite worth the money (still think it is a good product, though).

FordFanStan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you feel about teflon sealants? I am thinking about having my truck done with either a 1, 2 or 5 year warranty application.

As far as brands, I ordered a crap load of stuff from Adams and LOVE most of it. There is another brand I have noticed for the liquid spray on wax/detailer that leaves the truck/car smoother than Adams, but I don't recall what brand that was. And the non-greasy formula tire/rubber/plastic dressing from Adams is not quite as I expected, it will still attract dust if you use it on the plastic trim like bed rail caps, etc.

I have also seen some amazing restoration of paint from the BRITEMAX line. Not many places carry it though. I usually order it from Chris Nelson, a SVT/auto enthusiast and old Lightning buddy who manages the Napa of Tolland, CT.

I usually mix and match the brands I like best for each product I use. I really like the cheap CD2 engine dressing you can buy at Vato Zone, because it has never attracted dirt when I use it on plastic pieces and has a decent shine. Armor All use to have a glass cleaner that worked really well, but they no longer make it. I use the Stoner brand glass cleaner now, or Adams stuff. Meguirs or Lexol for leather cleaning and conditioning. I always try to find a decent tire dressing that will not attract dust/dirt but don't have much luck so I usually resort back to liquid Wet n Black or Meguirs Hot Shine because it will wear off by the next time you detail your truck so it isn't as messy, but it does fling some after your first/second drive. my .02 cents, FFS