Timbren SES on a GEN 3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98Craig

Reaction score
I bought the Timbrens back in October. I attached them on my truck to pull my boat. Timbren states that these should be about 1/2" - 1 1/2" gap between the bumpstop and the axle. Mine measured out to almost 3" of gap. I called Timbren and they sent me a new piece of steel and spacers that should put the bump stop closer to the axle. I have not installed them yet, but I will in a little over a week and going to get my boat out in two weeks. I will be towing it two hours away so it will be a good measurement to see how well they work. Keep in mind, my boat and trailer only total out to about 6,000lbs. Here is a picture before I got the new steel.

View attachment 349635
Looks like timbren tried to pass off the gen 2 fit for the gen 3. Same gap as sumo. Glad to hear they sent you new spacers. Hope they update the kit to include the needed spacers for that extra 3 inches or so. I bet sumo will do the same fairly soon. Would really like to know if it works and how it rides with trailer and no trailer as well, if you don't mind! Kinda sounds like you're leading the pack!

JCU Delt Ox

Reaction score
@Sethrad Can you provide photos and/or P/N for your setup? I've got a 20' Moritz ELH GT Tilt-Deck that has 700lbs of tongue weight empty. I love using it for my 6-person UTV but I ride nose high even unloaded.

Attachments

• PXL_20220408_160458667.jpg
    PXL_20220408_160458667.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 56

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Sethrad Can you provide photos and/or P/N for your setup? I've got a 20' Moritz ELH GT Tilt-Deck that has 700lbs of tongue weight empty. I love using it for my 6-person UTV but I ride nose high even unloaded.
Do you have the truck in tow mode in that picture? I think using tow mode helps stiffen the suspension.

JCU Delt Ox

Reaction score
Yes, but having the shocks in Sport Mode while in Tow/Haul won't help with the squat. The coils are what support the load.

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the Timbrens back in October. I attached them on my truck to pull my boat. Timbren states that these should be about 1/2" - 1 1/2" gap between the bumpstop and the axle. Mine measured out to almost 3" of gap. I called Timbren and they sent me a new piece of steel and spacers that should put the bump stop closer to the axle. I have not installed them yet, but I will in a little over a week and going to get my boat out in two weeks. I will be towing it two hours away so it will be a good measurement to see how well they work. Keep in mind, my boat and trailer only total out to about 6,000lbs. Here is a picture before I got the new steel.
So Saturday I attempted to install the new brackets with the extra spacers and hardware that was given to me by Timbren. They did not work, at least not with what Timbren sent to me. I got the bracket on the truck (need a fitted ratcheting wrench to attach to the truck). Several not very well thought out parts they sent me to try to make this work for my truck. First was the new metal bracket. There is an access hole to be able to get a socket wrench through to be able to fasten the bolt to the truck. The access hole does not line up with the hole that the bolt goes through. Minor, but still not very well thought out (typical engineering mistake). Guy who designs it, never uses it.

bracket.jpg
The bigger issue was the new bolts they sent me. The old bolt used an Allen wrench to tighten them, not great but worked as far as getting into the hole of the bump stop itself. The new bolt is a 17mm bolt. The problem is it barely fits into the rubber bump stop hole. The bigger problem is, the socket does not fit, not even a thin wall socket will fit. I messed with it for awhile trying to get it to work by boring out the hole a little but could not get it to work so I gave up. If it did work, there would have been around or just under a 2" gave between the bump stop and the axle. Another word of caution for anybody that does have Timbren bump stops, I would recommend not leaving those mounted to your truck with the bolts they provide. I had mounted the original ones that didn't work to my truck in October and the bolt was already rusted pretty bad.
Rusted Bolt.jpg

98Craig

Reaction score
So Saturday I attempted to install the new brackets with the extra spacers and hardware that was given to me by Timbren. They did not work, at least not with what Timbren sent to me. I got the bracket on the truck (need a fitted ratcheting wrench to attach to the truck). Several not very well thought out parts they sent me to try to make this work for my truck. First was the new metal bracket. There is an access hole to be able to get a socket wrench through to be able to fasten the bolt to the truck. The access hole does not line up with the hole that the bolt goes through. Minor, but still not very well thought out (typical engineering mistake). Guy who designs it, never uses it.

View attachment 351026
The bigger issue was the new bolts they sent me. The old bolt used an Allen wrench to tighten them, not great but worked as far as getting into the hole of the bump stop itself. The new bolt is a 17mm bolt. The problem is it barely fits into the rubber bump stop hole. The bigger problem is, the socket does not fit, not even a thin wall socket will fit. I messed with it for awhile trying to get it to work by boring out the hole a little but could not get it to work so I gave up. If it did work, there would have been around or just under a 2" gave between the bump stop and the axle. Another word of caution for anybody that does have Timbren bump stops, I would recommend not leaving those mounted to your truck with the bolts they provide. I had mounted the original ones that didn't work to my truck in October and the bolt was already rusted pretty bad.
View attachment 351029
Thanks for posting this info! Sucks it didn't work. I hope timbren figures it out. Sounds like the gap was still a little big anyway. I haven't heard of any other options yet either. I called sumo and they were working on something but nothing yet and I was never able to talk to anyone intelligent at air lift.

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this info! Sucks it didn't work. I hope timbren figures it out. Sounds like the gap was still a little big anyway. I haven't heard of any other options yet either. I called sumo and they were working on something but nothing yet and I was never able to talk to anyone intelligent at air lift.
I just received a message from Timbren saying they are sending me some new spacers and hardware out today. The nice thing about Timbren, sales has worked with their engineering and with me to try to get this right both times I have reached out to them. Hopefully I get the parts quickly since I am getting my boat out this weekend and curious to see how these work.

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Tazercat @98Craig @Rocu2zzz I get in touch with Timbren on the Bump stops that didn't work. For the second time they sent me some new parts to make this work. Timbren has been very responsive and helpful in helping make their bump stops work on the Gen 3. Both times they got with engineering and got parts out to me within a couple of days. I received the parts yester day and installed them on my truck and it looks like they will work. This time they sent me a set of new bumpers that I paired with the bigger metal brackets and 2 1/2" spacers per side to give me a gap of around an 1 1/4". The new bumps they sent are beefier than the original bumper that is the same as what is used on 2017-2020 trucks.
bump1.jpg
This second picture is the larger bracket with one 1/2" spacer. Still a bigger gap than I wanted.
bump2.jpg
This is the final gapping with the larger bracket, bumper and 2, 1/2" spacers.
bump3.jpg
Picking up my boat this afternoon so I will try to get some picture and measurements of how much the back end sags before and after the boat is hooked up....stay tuned.

Attachments

• bump4.jpg
    bump4.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 23

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you take the boat out and tow it after every use? Just curious why you need that. And when it’s attached does the rubber bumper rest on the axle so it doesn’t squat any further than that gap? Sure doesn’t seem like an easy thing to remove when you are not towing.

I miss my Macan and Touareg with air leveling suspension. Attached a trailer, back sagged, and the AS pumped it right back up.