Towing a large boat with the gen 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

clemsondds

Reaction score
I not an expert, but after speaking with a buddy on CHP MAIT, attached is how I responded on another thread regarding towing. I think Nex said it best, just because you can, doesn’t mean you should!
yeh but like I said...it still can tow quite a bit still within it's limits. Yes, you have to be mindful of payload...but you can still pull a decent size boat safely.

tractorman

Reaction score
Yeh I missed this comment. Great help! Have you pulled the boat with both trucks? how do they compare? Sounds like the raptor does fine which is good to hear. Mine does fine as well...I just assumed the f250 would be that much better. But maybe it's not that much of a difference. I assume you like the raptor a lot more for around town stuff?
I've not towed the boat with the F250, since the F250 always has an equipment trailer hooked up (either a 14,900 lb GVWR bumper pull of a 26k rated goose) and it's not worth unhooking and swapping over to the boat trailer. The F250 wouldn't know the boat was back there. The Raptor is my "car", but it is nice that it handles the boat well, and I'll use it occasionally with my dump trailer. The Raptor, as we all know, is very softly sprung, making it very comfortable as a run-around rig. If I could only own one truck, it would have to be the F250 6.7 Tremor. I like that truck a lot. But having both is awesome.

OP
OP
C

clemsondds

Reaction score
I've not towed the boat with the F250, since the F250 always has an equipment trailer hooked up (either a 14,900 lb GVWR bumper pull of a 26k rated goose) and it's not worth unhooking and swapping over to the boat trailer. The F250 wouldn't know the boat was back there. The Raptor is my "car", but it is nice that it handles the boat well, and I'll use it occasionally with my dump trailer. The Raptor, as we all know, is very softly sprung, making it very comfortable as a run-around rig. If I could only own one truck, it would have to be the F250 6.7 Tremor. I like that truck a lot. But having both is awesome.
Yeh I bet it's nice having both! Appreciate the feedback! What's everyone's favorite hitch?

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeh I bet it's nice having both! Appreciate the feedback! What's everyone's favorite hitch?
I have the B&W Tow & Stow with a 5" drop. With my total boat tow weight at right around 6k, I don't need the drop on the hitch. I would like to try one of the Weigh Safe ones with the tongue weight scale on it to see what my tongue weight is roughly.

BIGW0RM

Highest Access Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 28ft Magic power boat on a tipple axle trailer. I was launching it with an Escalade but tried our old Gen2 a couple times. It had all the power. But the tongue weight had me sagging a little too much for my liking. I suspect the Gen3 will probably do the same.

tractorman

Reaction score
I am fortunate to have both. I use Reese forged ball mounts on all of my tow vehicles. While the Raptor does not need that capacity, it keeps my life simple. If you are towing with a Super Duty, you must be careful about hitch choice. A lot of the cool hitches with a lot of features have less capacity. I tow heavy with the F250, so the fewer pins, clips, grooves, and scales on the ball mount, the better. I'm not mocking those features, especially for the Raptor, just know that there are trade-offs. Most of my trailers have an adjustable coupler. I adjust it upward allowing me to have a ball mount without too much drop.

OP
OP
C

clemsondds

Reaction score
I am fortunate to have both. I use Reese forged ball mounts on all of my tow vehicles. While the Raptor does not need that capacity, it keeps my life simple. If you are towing with a Super Duty, you must be careful about hitch choice. A lot of the cool hitches with a lot of features have less capacity. I tow heavy with the F250, so the fewer pins, clips, grooves, and scales on the ball mount, the better. I'm not mocking those features, especially for the Raptor, just know that there are trade-offs. Most of my trailers have an adjustable coupler. I adjust it upward allowing me to have a ball mount without too much drop.
Cool. Thank you for the feedback! Such a tough choice

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those that tow, the attachments are a comparison using the exact same trailer and UTV. There no occupants inside either truck. I took both trucks to a commercial scale facility and discovered the orange truck exceeded its cargo capacity by 200 pounds…..with me inside…175 pounds. The black truck was 310 under its cargo capacity. It occurred at the same scale about 90 minutes apart. IMHO, there is only a slight difference in the pics. Gain from it what you will

Attachments

• 32E9C818-4F59-43AA-BC68-F1528F077C24.jpeg
    32E9C818-4F59-43AA-BC68-F1528F077C24.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 35AF6EED-2277-45B1-8ABE-EA8C398ED28B.jpeg
    35AF6EED-2277-45B1-8ABE-EA8C398ED28B.jpeg
    301.5 KB · Views: 64

tractorman

Reaction score
For those that tow, the attachments are a comparison using the exact same trailer and UTV. There no occupants inside either truck. I took both trucks to a commercial scale facility and discovered the orange truck exceeded its cargo capacity by 200 pounds…..with me inside…175 pounds. The black truck was 310 under its cargo capacity. It occurred at the same scale about 90 minutes apart. IMHO, there is only a slight difference in the pics. Gain from it what you will
That is helpful. You exceeded the cargo capacity in one instance, but I am curious, how were you on front and rear axle weight on the trucks? I bet those numbers were ok. I'm not advocating towing above any posted limits, but our local DOT guys seem to focus on axle capacity and tire capacity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter