Towing a large boat with the gen 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clemsondds

Reaction score
Trying to decide between a ‘24 raptor and a f250. I will be towing a 3400 lb (dry weight with motor) boat. Trailer is around 1200 lbs. I currently tow a 2800lb boat and my gen 2 does pretty good but I sometimes feel it back there. My question is: what setup are you guys using to tow your boats? Is there a weight distribution hitch that I can use with a boat trailer? Also my gen 2 sags quite a bit…any help with that? Or should I just go with a super duty? I tow twice a year around 500 miles, and then once a month or so I’ll tow 100 miles. Nothing crazy altitude wise. Thanks for your help!

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can bag the rear and it helps. The g3 does better with towing and payload than g2. I am getting some Eibach rear springs to help with sag too

DMays

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide between a ‘24 raptor and a f250. I will be towing a 3400 lb (dry weight with motor) boat. Trailer is around 1200 lbs. I currently tow a 2800lb boat and my gen 2 does pretty good but I sometimes feel it back there. My question is: what setup are you guys using to tow your boats? Is there a weight distribution hitch that I can use with a boat trailer? Also my gen 2 sags quite a bit…any help with that? Or should I just go with a super duty? I tow twice a year around 500 miles, and then once a month or so I’ll tow 100 miles. Nothing crazy altitude wise. Thanks for your help!
I's had 4 raptors and 2 superduty's. Both are awesome trucks. I find myself much preferring the raptor as a daily driver. No doubt the F250 will tow much better, but the fuel prices and maintenance prices of a diesel made it a terrible daily for me. I tell everyone unless you tow a lot a diesel just isn't a good choice.

OP
OP
C

clemsondds

Reaction score
I's had 4 raptors and 2 superduty's. Both are awesome trucks. I find myself much preferring the raptor as a daily driver. No doubt the F250 will tow much better, but the fuel prices and maintenance prices of a diesel made it a terrible daily for me. I tell everyone unless you tow a lot a diesel just isn't a good choice.
Wow then I guess you are a great source of info ha. Do you have a gen 3 raptor? Curious how that compares with the new ‘23 super duty. Supposedly, the new super duty has a better ride than previous. Also I would be getting the gas version. But I agree, there’s no way it’s more fun as a daily driver than the raptor. It just comes down to towing quality vs daily driver. How much weight do you usually tow? Thanks again for all the help

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On your gen2 sag I would suggest a set of timbrens. Before everybody starts making fun I know it’s not a great thing to use but if occasionally you have to tow they are easy enough to put on and use. I would have to pick up full pallets of water occasionally and pull my 35’ boats out of the water a couple times a year. Won’t get into how heavy the boats were just in case we have some OSHA inspectors here. They really helped with the sag and can be removed when done.IMG_5228.pngIMG_5227.png

DMays

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow then I guess you are a great source of info ha. Do you have a gen 3 raptor? Curious how that compares with the new ‘23 super duty. Supposedly, the new super duty has a better ride than previous. Also I would be getting the gas version. But I agree, there’s no way it’s more fun as a daily driver than the raptor. It just comes down to towing quality vs daily driver. How much weight do you usually tow? Thanks again for all the help
I do have a gen 3. I think a comparison would be tough because they are so different. I haven't driven a 2023 superduty, but I am sure it is still a very stiff ride compared to a raptor. The tow capacity on the f250 requires a rather stiff suspension. I rarely tow at all anymore. We keep our boat at the marina year-round now. I went from a 2017 super duty to a 2020 AT4 2500. The GMC At4 is known for a better ride than the fords due to suspension and axles and I agree it was much better, but still a whole lot stiffer than a raptor. The raptor kind of floats on bumps and the super duty is more of a jarring feeling. Once you load a super duty down with a lot of weight when towing it is very smooth but when empty it will beat you up a bit. I would suggest driving both and seeing which you prefer. I have never heard of anyone that loves the ride of a 2500 truck with nothing in tow. They are very fun to drive with the torque (diesel, no experience with a gas version), but stiff. I will say that I imagine a raptor will holds its value much better than a gas F250. Diesel is similar to raptors for value retention but a gas f250 won't be. When it comes down to it they are both awesome trucks but both serve a very differnet purpose. I would without a doubt drive both and see which one you like more.

OP
OP
C

clemsondds

Reaction score
On your gen2 sag I would suggest a set of timbrens. Before everybody starts making fun I know it’s not a great thing to use but if occasionally you have to tow they are easy enough to put on and use. I would have to pick up full pallets of water occasionally and pull my 35’ boats out of the water a couple times a year. Won’t get into how heavy the boats were just in case we have some OSHA inspectors here. They really helped with the sag and can be removed when done.View attachment 418902View attachment 418903
Wow that is quite the boat!! How far did you pull that ship? Which hitch did you use? That’s impressive

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normal hitch nothing special always within 15 miles. Without the timbrens it would squat way too much to be comfortable to drive. Never did I not have enough power to pull out of the ramp or yank it around town. I was always impressed with how motor and trans handled it. That being said a raptor is not great to tow heavy loads long term. I would always choose a bigger truck. Just trying to show a extreme situation and that it can do more than expected.