Towing Reviews ONLY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptornador

Reaction score
Yes I have done a reasonable amount of searching on Raptors and Towing. Most of the threads have half the posts on why you shouldnt use the Raptor to tow. I can respect the view of those individuals.....BUT

There are many of us that recognize the FACT that Raptors are rated to do so. Many of us tow to remote areas where dropping off your trailer and taking the Raptor out exploring and blaring through Forest Rds without getting your kidneys knocked out of place is exciting very enjoyable....not to mention the fact how annoying it is to go so slow.

SO, please no "dont tow" comments or anything negative. What I'd like to see is just:

1-What is the weight you are towing?
2-approximate tongue weight
3-What additional payload are you carrying.

What is your setup?

A- are you stock?
B-Type of front suspension mod if any?
C-Type of Rear suspension (deaver part number/designation or Icon, misc)this also includes any shock work
D- anything else that might aid in towing or when not towing.

Are you happy with your rigs setup when towing? Not just ride quality but how it sits sag wise
Are you happy with your rigs ride quality when not towing? Is it too harsh on and off road?

===================

MEIRONMAN207

¿Goin somewhere...What are RU waiting 4?
Reaction score
I’m not a “professional” driver, but since I was 15 I’ve towed everything from kayaks, big laker canoes to big trailers, utility, cargo and dump/equipment. And yes the Raptor was a challenge to meet my needs and still stay true to its purpose built design. Good…got that out of the way. So, the short answers to your questions and my remedy/solutions I will list for your consumption. First and immediately noted early in my Jenny Big A$$ Hips acquisition was She had very weak springs as many have noted and plenty of threads to read. While She had a bigger motor than my previous truck a F150 FX4, She couldn’t complete. I towed on average 2K to 7K depending on the need or trip involved, like I mentioned previously, boating, camping, or general chores and work detail or maintenance. The tongue weight I mitigate by the use of a HD Reese weight distribution hitch setup when needed. As to Ms Jenny, I improved Her suspension deficiency by adding a set of 3+HD Deavers, Kings bump stops and with stock FOX shocks and the fronts OEM coils set mid height. I have a slight OEM rake unladen but stays level on almost all loads except on very heavy (7K) and bed load outs, I get a slight squat. The goal as stated and after hours of research , for my needs and retaining the look and ride ability as stock or actually better than OEM , I got what I wanted for Ms Jenny. Hope this helps your quest.

Last edited:

RogueClimber

Agent Orange
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I have done a reasonable amount of searching on Raptors and Towing. Most of the threads have half the posts on why you shouldnt use the Raptor to tow. I can respect the view of those individuals.....BUT

There are many of us that recognize the FACT that Raptors are rated to do so. Many of us tow to remote areas where dropping off your trailer and taking the Raptor out exploring and blaring through Forest Rds without getting your kidneys knocked out of place is exciting very enjoyable....not to mention the fact how annoying it is to go so slow.

SO, please no "dont tow" comments or anything negative. What I'd like to see is just:

What is your setup?

A- are you stock?
C-Type of Rear suspension (deaver part number/designation or Icon, misc)this also includes any shock work

Are you happy with your rigs setup when towing? Not just ride quality but how it sits sag wise
Are you happy with your rigs ride quality when not towing? Is it too harsh on and off road?

===================
TLDR: Please only give me opinions that I want to hear

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score

What is your setup?

A- are you stock?

===================
We just did this last week chief. Use the search feature and read any one of the hundred threads.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Topic has been beaten like a government mule. But I'll bite.

I've towed with all of my Raptors. All enclosed trailers from 12-16' long, with 1500-2000 lbs. loads. 16' trailer is about 1800 pounds, so close to 5,000 pounds is max. Raptor did a fine job engine-wise, but did sag a bit. Don't know tongue weight. it did make the headlights point a bit upward and on slippery roads the front can wander.

If towing was my gig on a regular basis or I was towing over 5k lbs, a Super Duty would be in my driveway.

dfw62

Reaction score
I'll bite too but everything I say here and then some is in several other threads.

2022 Gen 3 with 1214# payload
Andersen WD hitch (6 threads showing)
Air Lift 1000 bags (27 psi)

2023 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108DSFLX camper
7' wide, 10' 3" tall, 22' 6" total length
Around 5,000# depending on trip
Around 625# tongue weight depending on trip
50 to 200 pounds in truck bed depending on the trip

Tows great with no sag. Only negative is the need to be sure not to put too much weight in the truck to avoid exceeding payload. I bought my Raptor knowing this would be a consideration and gladly accept this to have a Raptor as my vehicle for exploring once the trailer is set up in camp. I also purposely bought a camper with relatively small dimensions to avoid issues on windy days. I would not be comfortable towing anything heavier or physically much larger. The Raptor will easily tow heavier and larger but it will exceed payload and be a handful on a windy day at highway speeds. My 2 cents anyway.

Attachments

• Raptor with camper.jpg
    Raptor with camper.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 34

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score

What is your setup?

A- are you stock?

===================
One and done towing but I had zero problems over 4oo miles.

500 on the tounge
5000 trailer
stock

51036263688_10b487d6ef_k.jpg

JayRods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1-What is the weight you are towing? = A 7300lbs Travel trailer and a 6000lbs pontoon boat
2-approximate tongue weight ? = 900lbs
3-What additional payload are you carrying? = 740lbs of tools and supplies

What is your setup?

A- are you stock? = 2023 Raptor 37" package with 4 Geiser springs and Air lift Airbags
B-Type of front suspension mod if any? = Geiser springs
D- anything else that might aid in towing or when not towing. = The B&W Continum weight distribution Hitch on the RV.

We just did 4000 miles to Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Nevada, & California, with the Raptor & RV. It was awesome !!
The thing was solid, the 37" tire did great. Found myself pushing 75mph a few time out there where the speed limit is 80mph, didn't feel the trailer back there at all. went up and over several 7000 foot elevation passes coming home on Hwy 50 through Nevada, NO Problem at all. Well except for the 7mpg average towing. I'm sure I could have gotten better MPGs if I slowed down a bit. The best part about this is having the Raptor to drive around and take on the epic trails out there.

FYI I have been towing trailers almost all my life. Farming, Ranching, and 1.7 million miles in my Peterbilt. We also have a F450 with a 41' Landmark RV with about 50k on it. so I say I have some towing experience. LOL

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231021_115753_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231021_115753_Gallery.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20200204-221050_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200204-221050_Gallery.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited: